Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Darkmoor drops are too low

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 05, 2013
lettup on Jan 2, 2015 wrote:
Nerfing Darkmoor big-time wouldn't lead to ANYTHING different then they scenario we already have. People would still complain about not getting the stuff that they wanted. And people that already have they're stuff would keep on saying that it's "easy" and "you'll get it in no time."
Besides, this game has been needing a hard dungeon for a while. I don't think Tartarus counts; It was hard, but nothing compared to this. Hey, you're guaranteed a drop of your school every time. But no one ever said it was what you want.
Yes, the dungeon is long. But if you make time for it, it can actually be quite fun. Deep into battle, I often turn to Youtube, and watch things while I play, and pause the video when i need to think about choosing my next spell.

The point is....Nerfing the dungeon would not solve any of the problems people are experiencing with it. The only problem I see that it has currently (from my experiences) is the time it takes to finish. I think that's what really itches people off. And besides, you have plenty of time from now until the next expansion to farm that dungeon. And no one is making you do it, so don't complain on the choices you make. You decided to delve time into that dungeon, So expect failure, setbacks, and disappointment. I spent 2 years with the same waterworks gear. From Avalon to Khrysalis. I can personally tell you, that you do not need the dungeon gear to be successful in the long term. PVP is a different story, and a story for another time indeed.

Blaze Stormmancer- Victor Of Kan Davasi
No. The difficulty is alright. It's the drop rates. I don't want to get everything in one run, but I hate wasting time. Several runs = one item? That's unfair. It's even more unfair for those who aren't so lucky. Some are lucky and get everything in a few runs, while others do not. I agree with the one who said that our rates should increase the more times we do the dungeon. And think of the other worlds, it will get much harder, and the worlds may prove to be rather difficult without this gear. KI should consider this. But other than that, you do have a point.

Survivor
Mar 19, 2011
I ran this dungeon over twenty times before I got a single piece of malistaire gear. Something definitely needs changed. If not soon then I'll take my money elsewhere. Ten runs in that place should get the malistaire gear. How about getting rid of the other gear which is bad. Maybe then the good stuff will drop more frequently.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i'm with lucas and high five ghost.

i've started over 500 runs, completed maybe 50 (i'm lucky if half the team hasn't bailed by the time we get to shane); my balance wizard has a full set, but it's not the good stuff.

the only reason i go there anymore is to help people who are struggling; often, the 'elite' players won't take a first-timer (ran into that on my death, who's actually my third wizard through the instance) or anyone who doesn't have perfect stats, so that's where i come in.

high five's analogy is perfect: i would never, ever dream of going to work for a chance at a paycheck; forget that nonsense. this doc doesn't work for free (ain't nobody got time for that).

i have resigned myself to the fact that i will never see the elite gear, therefore i will simply cross my fingers and hope for a viable crafted alternative in the next world.

-von

Community Leader
I'd like to stress that Darkmoor is considered side content. You don't have to do Darkmoor.

DuelCircle Organizer. The Slowpoke Sloth is the best.
Survivor
Jul 17, 2010
Yes dude you are right! I farmed for the full gear from when it came out to Christmas!

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
I STRONGLY agree Darkmoor Drops are TOO Low. I have farmed that place for hours everyday and i get nothing. What's even more annoying is that i have to at least wait and hour or two just to find a team. And when I do find a team they either leave or someone isn't playing as a team effort etc. IT's SO ANNOYING i just don't get it. I die a lot some people don't want to help out and when i get to Malistare I get killed and when i actually go in with a GREAT team i get NOTHING! All that work I just did and what i get pet snacks and tier 1 wand SERIOUSLY!? I'm tired of this i'm so stressed out. Anyway it's a fun game it is very challenging dungeon I like it, but please give me better drops. Hit me up if you wanna team up people I am a lvl 100 Storm Cass GoldenHeart

Survivor
Aug 16, 2012
I can't get the shoes. I did 10 runs, got repeat gear. This is annoying me greatly. XD

----Salt God Ice.

Survivor
Aug 16, 2012
moefox on Feb 28, 2015 wrote:
I STRONGLY agree Darkmoor Drops are TOO Low. I have farmed that place for hours everyday and i get nothing. What's even more annoying is that i have to at least wait and hour or two just to find a team. And when I do find a team they either leave or someone isn't playing as a team effort etc. IT's SO ANNOYING i just don't get it. I die a lot some people don't want to help out and when i get to Malistare I get killed and when i actually go in with a GREAT team i get NOTHING! All that work I just did and what i get pet snacks and tier 1 wand SERIOUSLY!? I'm tired of this i'm so stressed out. Anyway it's a fun game it is very challenging dungeon I like it, but please give me better drops. Hit me up if you wanna team up people I am a lvl 100 Storm Cass GoldenHeart
You know it. Nothing much has changed and nothing will change. XD

-----Salt God Ice.

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
This dungeon has somethings that tends to make drop numbers all over the place for people reporting about drop rates. I really don't see a way to change to fit all.

First the team that goes in and works well together and no ones flees gets items from both drop. So true programmed drop rates show.

Then the team that doesn't work well together and someone flees during the second mali. Those get 1/2 the drops. represents the folks who makes it through but not with a strong finish. So not programmed chances.

Lastly the teams that don't work at all and don't make it through. (people leaving giving up, losing connections, or what ever reason.) Even though they may have spent hours battling end up with nothing. (Which is how it does and should work.) But when all are combined together with the others they pretty much show more of a customer satisfaction with the dungeon.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2013
I think they should increase the drop because i did dark moor around 30 times and only got two pieces of my gear. My life friend got his gear in 20 times. KI please increase the rate

scot deathmask

Survivor
Apr 15, 2015
Yea that happened to me also. I think KI should make the drop rate better. I've been going to that dungeon like more than 10 times but all I get was junk and some other equipment that I don't want. That dungeon takes time to win and it's very complex.

Explorer
Jun 22, 2010
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
man0fbass on Feb 6, 2015 wrote:
I'd like to stress that Darkmoor is considered side content. You don't have to do Darkmoor.
when people post stuff like this, i hear:

the gear exists because it's required for survival in future worlds, but you can skip the dungeon if you want. just keep struggling along and, once you realize how outclassed you are, quit. but don't complain about being outclassed, because you wouldn't be, if only you'd done that optional dungeon.

as i have said before, if it is the best gear in-game and has no crafted or purchasable (whether bazaar/vendor or crowns) alternative, then it is not optional.

-von

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
I think the drop rate for Malistaire gear is just fine. I did the Graveyard dungeon roughly two times daily for about two weeks after the release of Castle Darkmoor, farming for myself and helping friends get their gear as well. During this time I was able to get at least two full sets of the Malistaire outfit, and all the related Malistaire accoutrements. It took me longer to get my full Waterworks gear. I'm sorry for folks with lousy luck who frequently have their teammates bail on them, but that has nothing to do with drop rate. And yes, the Graveyard dungeon is indeed optional content, but if you want the best gear, it's not. So keep trying. "With persistence, victory is assured" -- Professor Greyrose.

Wolf Windrider
Exalted

Survivor
Mar 11, 2010
I just completed a Darkmoor graveyard run after, let me say, countless times trying to find a group that willingly pushed through the first boss, and without being bailed on after the "advanced" players took a look at their group and just left because they think they aren't good enough to them. It took about an hour to actually find a group. Let me remind you that I'm investing my time into this. It took way more than 2 hours to complete the dungeon, as the dungeon warning says. I would say about twice that amount. Being the damage dealer of the group, I killed Yevgeny and Shane all in one hit, and got absolutely nothing from them, even though they drop. Let me remind you I never fled. Malistaire took the longest, and while I fled once in his shadow form and practically finished him off, I'm rewarded with the same low-tier wand, useless pet snack, and useless reagents. I'm way overdue for at least one piece of Malistaire gear. Honestly, it feels like an insult to work so hard and to be investing my time into this dungeon to get a bunch of trash. I think the only ones that are happy are the ones that got all their gear after the first two or three runs, which, I must say, is absolutely unbelievable. Drop rates need to be heightened or bosses need to be taken down a notch or two. The dungeon is possible, It's just that I want it to be worth my time, because at this moment, it's an absolute waste.

Defender
Jan 27, 2012
I think it would be better if there was a Tier 1 drop guaranteed for every time you defeated him, but that drop didnt necessarily have to be for your school, and you couldnt get the same gear twice. That would make it a lot easier, as you would have to run it a maximum of 21 times but a minimum of 3. I lucked out with the hat on my first try, but 3 tries later have gotten nothing.

Survivor
Jan 16, 2011
I so agree the drops are terrible for me and not just that but for packs that you buy with crowns all the good gear in them takes forever to get!

Explorer
Apr 26, 2010
The people who claim that the Darkmoor gear is 'optional' are the ones who already have most of it. It's easy to say 'keep trying' to the average, casual player when you have a full set of Malistaire gear. But, the sad truth is to be successful in top level PVP and to get through game content in a reasonable amount of time, the top level gear is needed. To do countless runs in a dungeon that takes a very long amount of time and to not be rewarded for your efforts is ludicrous. Nobody wants to be given the gear for free, but you should be able to obtain the gear in a reasonable amount of time. You shouldn't have to complete Darkmoor 200 times to be able to not get destroyed in the arena. Just my 2 cents.

Survivor
Apr 11, 2012
The Darkmoor drop rates are way too low! It's EXTREMELY ridiculous that I do the dungeon 9 times, 3 without fleeing, and still not one piece of tier one gear! Not even a wand, athame, or Necklace. Bring drop rates up!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Team yoloswag on Jun 29, 2015 wrote:
The people who claim that the Darkmoor gear is 'optional' are the ones who already have most of it. It's easy to say 'keep trying' to the average, casual player when you have a full set of Malistaire gear. But, the sad truth is to be successful in top level PVP and to get through game content in a reasonable amount of time, the top level gear is needed. To do countless runs in a dungeon that takes a very long amount of time and to not be rewarded for your efforts is ludicrous. Nobody wants to be given the gear for free, but you should be able to obtain the gear in a reasonable amount of time. You shouldn't have to complete Darkmoor 200 times to be able to not get destroyed in the arena. Just my 2 cents.
yeah, and get the off-school junk out of the drop pool. it's hard enough to get our gear without having to worry about sifting through garbage that we can't even use.

the whole pvp thing doesn't affect me, since i don't pvp at exalted anyway. but that gear is going to be necessary for survival in future pve worlds as well. at this point, i have about 1000 attempts (400-500 completed runs) under my belt, across 3 exalted wizards, and not one of them has a full set (my balance wizard is pretty close, but her boots keep eluding me).

rather than increasing the drop-rate, one of the following needs to happen:

-off-school junk removed from drop pool
-gear within x runs
-token system (trade skeleton keys for gear)

it shouldn't take months or years to get this stuff. i (and i'm sure others as well) have relationships and responsibilities offline that are far more important than this game (sorry, malistaire), and i don't have time to keep feeding the farming machine.

-von

-von "7 months and still no boots" shadowsong

Survivor
Feb 15, 2011
I totally agree. Darkmoor takes me about 2-3 hours (just 30 minutes even to find a team that doesn't immediately flee...) and most of the time Mali drops nothing. My life has done it over 15 times and has only got 2 hats and nothing else! At least for the time it requires make malistaire drop the tier 2 stuff instead of tier 1 gear that we can get from the first 2 parts of darkmoor dungeon....

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
One of the guys in our questing group had to farm 70+ times to get his final piece of gear. The rest of us had two sets by that point. :/

The wand is the best non-pack/non-crownd piece in the game by far, but the rest is better but not vastly so than the Khrysalis crafted. As a matter of fact, both my Life and Fire wear the Khrysalis hats. I don't think a full set is necessary for future PvE worlds, just like many of us never got Waterworks gear and survived. . . Most of us mixed at least one piece with Crafted - and I'd think that will work just fine with this, too.

I do think, however, that it would be beneficial to raise the drop rates, eliminate off-school unless the gear is tradeable, and possibly separating the bosses into individual instances could help. Still individually as challenging, but would shorten the time commitment - which would make it feel like rates had been raised; if you only need wand you're only Malistaire and can do it twice in the time of a full Graveyard.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
PaigeGoldenspear on Jun 30, 2015 wrote:
One of the guys in our questing group had to farm 70+ times to get his final piece of gear. The rest of us had two sets by that point. :/

The wand is the best non-pack/non-crownd piece in the game by far, but the rest is better but not vastly so than the Khrysalis crafted. As a matter of fact, both my Life and Fire wear the Khrysalis hats. I don't think a full set is necessary for future PvE worlds, just like many of us never got Waterworks gear and survived. . . Most of us mixed at least one piece with Crafted - and I'd think that will work just fine with this, too.

I do think, however, that it would be beneficial to raise the drop rates, eliminate off-school unless the gear is tradeable, and possibly separating the bosses into individual instances could help. Still individually as challenging, but would shorten the time commitment - which would make it feel like rates had been raised; if you only need wand you're only Malistaire and can do it twice in the time of a full Graveyard.
i agree with your last point; my issue is not with the difficulty, but that the reward is not equal to the time commitment required. splitting up the dungeons would definitely make it less time-consuming (and maybe more people would want to do it).

all i need is my boots from malistaire. yet i have to suffer through yevgeny and shane every single time, even though they don't actually drop anything i need and are just a waste of time. splitting it into 3 separate instances would be so much less miserable, and i might not want to bash my head against the wall so often.

no one should have to repeat the instance more than 30 (and even that's excessive) times, just to get gear that will ultimately be required for quest progression. my waterworks gear got me this far on 3 wizards, but darkmoor has shown us that the game has changed in a big way~ future bosses and mobs in the next world will have yev/shane-level health and stupid amounts of pierce, and we'll need stats big enough to compete with that.

i've seen a few people in dropped/crafted combos, and those kinds of setups can work for elemental or spirit wizards. as with all crafting from day one, balance has to craft two separate sets of gear, both of which are subpar and require a huge cut to other stats~ not worth the time or reagents it takes to craft.

off to work now, but will post more later.

-von "sold my soul to castle dreadmore" shadowsong

Survivor
Mar 11, 2010
Ok, I need to post again because the most ridiculous thing happened. I just completed yet another run. But it wasn't another run, it was an absolutely perfect run, a healer, support, and hitters (I was a hitter). We zoomed through the entire dungeon in maybe 2 hours, or even less, considering how long some battles can be. I was the only one to truly ace Malistaire, by never fleeing ONCE. My entire team fled more than once. I even killed Malistaire, a definite overkill for the health he had left. And you know what I get. Absolute garbage. Not one single piece of high level gear. Not his wand, not even a tier 2 piece of gear. Junk reagents and a garbage ring that my alpha and omega ring was better than. But guess what, my entire team that fled, all got at least one piece of tier three equipment. I'm honestly furious. It's the biggest insult ever. I spent my time on this dungeon only to get completely tricked and not get a single useful thing. Heighten the drop rates. This isn't worth it anymore. I can't prepare for the next world if I can't GET ANYTHING.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
I agree with all of you, so tired of trying to do the dungeons and people fleeing. And being that I have several wizards I can say that when darkmoor first came out, gear was easier than now. I know we had a family pack on wizards, and most of the kids have left because it takes too long for these dungeons and they have lost interest and what parent is going to allow their kids to sit for four hours to do a dungeon that they are frustrated with, Wizard101 needs to fix this as you are losing the family aspect of the game, it saddens me that so many great players have left and now a new demographic of player has come on board and some of them are not very nice or friendly. You are losing site of what has grown your brand!