Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Adoption Center Idea!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
Pet Adoption Center

I think we all have either gotten pets from boss drops, card packs or pet hatches that we either do not want or want anymore. For this people tend to abandon it at their house or delete them

So I think this idea could work in a lot ways.
Did you guys know there is a pet shop and snack shop in the Pet pavilion right?
What I don't understand is why there's another pet shop in the shopping district.
I checked and actually saw they have the same exact prices only thing is the pet shop in the pet pavilion had a few more pet choices.

So hear me out, the idea is to use the snack shop as the adoption center. Every world I go that offers snack vendors, are always a small stand standing outside in safe zone. I don't think it could be a bother but yet again this is just a idea. The pet shop next door is in no way affect.

Now adoption could work out like this,

You can give the center any age pet you no longer want freely.

School Pets like the pet quests you do at level 48, 58, 78 and 98 should not be allowed to drop off at this center. Thus the reason why we hatch.

Crown Pets should be allowed to this center but the adoption fee should be in crowns to make it fair for the Players/Owners of the pet who brought them from the Crown Shop.

The adoption fee should calculate the pedigree, age and how you obtained the pet. (3)

For an example, let's say I have a Mist Triton that is a teen with the pedigree of 62.
I used the 3 categories for to identify it. Now let's say I have a Deer Knight that is a adult with the pedigree of 70. If I were to give my two pets to the adoption center, the Mist Triton would have the adoption fee in a high range of gold and the Deer Knight would the fee in crowns.

Now you are you probably saying the Hatchery is there to get pets you want etc.
But there's always no guarantee you will get the hybrid of your choice and instead a copy of your pet with different stats. This is where the Adoption Center is in need, for those copies of pets you don't want to keep and maybe just maybe someone is dying to have it. Maybe from buying all those card packs in the Crown Shop you get pets you weren't hoping for and now you decide to either delete them, or just hoard them in a corner of your house where you will never use them This is why we need the Adoption Center

A small extra for this is to give the previous owner a pop up message saying your pet has found a new home.

Hopefully you guys enjoy this idea and feel free to pitch more ideas to this!
Thank you for reading and have a great day!

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Being around as long you as you have, you might remember that this has been suggested before. Many times, in fact. KI has no interest in this, sadly.

I think it would be an interesting addition, but it really doesn't make them money, so my guess is it will be ignored.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I think one of the reasons it wouldn't work is simply because of the sheer volume.

You think of the Bazaar and there are thousands of unique items, and up to hundreds of each in stock.

Now you take pets. There are many different pets. But when you consider you're going to have pets of varying generations, pedigrees, ages, etc... you're looking at millions of unique pets that are going to be in the adoption center. Many of them probably will never be adopted.

Let's take a hypoethical situation and say of Wizard101's 50,000,000 users, there are only 3,000,000 active users with 6 wizards each, and each wizard has an average of 6 pets they don't want. That's over 100,000,000 pets, many of which are going to be unique meaning they can't be stacked to make browsing easier.

I could see it being a very cumbersome thing to try and build and manage such a facility, and then also to create suitable search filters. I love the idea, but I just can't come up with a model that would make it feesible.

Personally I have a lot of pets that I don't want that I know others probably do, and I would gladly just give them to those people if I had the opportunity to do so. If KI could come up with a way for us to give pets to others, I would be thrilled!

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
You both are right but it's a shame since a lot of players would be happy if this idea came true.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
it is. i think it would be a great idea, but it probably will be ignored.

Survivor
Mar 02, 2014
This would be a great idea but the only thing I disagree on is that some people would get paid in crowns. It doesn't make sense that someone who just got it as a drop is rewarded with free crowns and its not like people who buy them from the crown shop would sell them because they wouldn't have spent the crowns on them.

Explorer
Jan 05, 2013
The way around the volume is for any pet donated to be reset to an egg, just like they are when you buy them or get them from a pack. Then all are at the same stat level and just like the bazaar a max number could be set like 100 for each. They would then be split into schools like treasure cards. Seems like an easy interface to use and resetting the pets means that everyone isn't farming the adoption center for all the ancient pets.

Explorer
Aug 09, 2013
This is a great idea but I want to add on. We should be given the crowns/gold that came from the adoption fee. Here's what I mean.

I drop off a random pet that I don't want at the adoption center.
Random person buys it.
The clerk or whatever gives me the money.

Done.

Do you get it now? I hope so.

Explorer
Aug 09, 2013
High Five Ghost on Dec 7, 2014 wrote:
I think one of the reasons it wouldn't work is simply because of the sheer volume.

You think of the Bazaar and there are thousands of unique items, and up to hundreds of each in stock.

Now you take pets. There are many different pets. But when you consider you're going to have pets of varying generations, pedigrees, ages, etc... you're looking at millions of unique pets that are going to be in the adoption center. Many of them probably will never be adopted.

Let's take a hypoethical situation and say of Wizard101's 50,000,000 users, there are only 3,000,000 active users with 6 wizards each, and each wizard has an average of 6 pets they don't want. That's over 100,000,000 pets, many of which are going to be unique meaning they can't be stacked to make browsing easier.

I could see it being a very cumbersome thing to try and build and manage such a facility, and then also to create suitable search filters. I love the idea, but I just can't come up with a model that would make it feesible.

Personally I have a lot of pets that I don't want that I know others probably do, and I would gladly just give them to those people if I had the opportunity to do so. If KI could come up with a way for us to give pets to others, I would be thrilled!
What your saying makes A LOT of sense... I think you're on to something.

Survivor
May 21, 2009
This topic really needs to be looked at by KI!!! I totally agree with what you are saying. Definite yes on the pet adoption idea from me!!
Kimberly Stormbane