Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Shadow Shrike Broken?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 16, 2011
Along with the new update i've noticed something new with Shrike. Whenever i use Shrike then hit, the effects of Shrike give a pierce blade as usual. But, for some reason, whenever you're in Shrike with the Shrike's pierce blade, it doesn't count for the Shrike's base pierce. It only counts for your own base pierce and the pierce blade added. I found this out when i was in multiple 1v1 matches with my opponents having tower shields on. The first hit was like usual with Shrike's 50 pierce, but the second and third hits didn't fully pierce the tower. It only showed my base pierce with the pierce blade added by Shrike. Not only is this happening in PvP, but it is constant whenever using Shrike. This glitch needs to be fixed immediately in my opinion.

Alex Darkhammer- Lvl100
Alexander Battleshard- Lvl100
Flint Daybreeze- Lvl91
Blaze Dragonflame- Lvl78
Jack- Lvl31

Survivor
Jul 31, 2012
I sent a glitch report to KI and this is what they responded

There appears to be some confusion on how the "Shadow Shrike" works.
Once a player transforms into the "Shadow Shrike" you get a chance at a certain percentage to "pierce".
Keep in mind that is is not guaranteed every time.
This should last for (3) turns.
It is possible to not "pierce" every turn due to the level of "chance/percentage" of the Shrike.
Hopefully this clears up any confusion on how the "Shadow Shrike" works.

This is obviously wrong since the update notes regarding pierce say this:

Armor Piercing is calculated by reducing the resistance of targeted enemies by the value of the Armor Piercing of the casted spell. For example, a spell cast with 7% Armor Piercing on a target with 90% resistance will have damage calculated by taking 83% of normal damage.
This Armor Piercing value is inclusive of any wards that are present on a target. For example, if a spell has a 20% Armor Piercing value and is cast on a player with a Tower Shield ( 50% Damage Resistance ) then the effective damage is only reduced by 30%

This means there is not a CHANCE to pierce that value, but a guarantee to pierce that value.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Were there multiple stacking towers? That would do it. If Ambrose changed how Shadow Shrike worked, I'm going to knock him to Xibalba, followed by all the whiners who no doubtedly contributed to this.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Looks like a confirmed nerf to me.

Where is the update indicating this?

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
It's broken. There's another thread about it.

The added pierce from Shrike is only lasting one turn now.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Prince of Shadows on Dec 2, 2014 wrote:
It's broken. There's another thread about it.

The added pierce from Shrike is only lasting one turn now.
Yep. After reading the devs' reaction on Wiz101central, I'm relieved Shrike is just broken, and not a nerf. Wonder what support must have been thinking when they wrote that reply above? Shrike never worked that way, ever.