Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

pvp unfair?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 05, 2011
I am coming back after being away from the game for awhile. Honestly the only thing i can see that truly unfair in pvp is the use of tc. It seems for the most part if you have tc you win. If you don't have tc you loose.
Now some might say that anyone can buy at the bazar. But for the younger players that might not be possible. With level restraints and money restraints they cannot earn or buy that much gold to compete in pvp. A pvp fight that lasts awhile is fair, even, balanced whatever you would like to call it. Defeat in 5 rounds or less well not so balanced is it? Or who ever attacks first wins. Lol. Anyways my 2 cents on this issue is make 2 different sets of pvp rankings. One with the use of tc and one with not being able to use tc. That way the younger wizards out there have a fair chance to gain ranks.

On a side note I see that it has changed a lot. I am one of those jade wearers, lol. Nice to see that KI saw fit to make the possibility of removing the armor factor altogether. Storm with hades armor and using shadow shrike together is at 80% pierce. So with school cards plus those pesky tc (lol) its possible to reach 100% pierce? Interesting though, SELL cards packs and then make in game cards that can remove all the benefits. Don't know about the next person but I will definitely reconsider buying card packs in the future. Why pay real money to get something that can be made ineffective by in game items? Yes I know still good for pve. And yes can get packs with armor that is more offensive orientated.

Still one of the better games out there. Its nice to be able to chill and have fun with friends. Thank you KI for all the fun.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2011
Treasure cards are very fair when it comes to PvP. Anyone can buy them and benefit from them from Level 1 to100. Lower levels can farm places for them and they can farm for gold to buy them at the Bazaar.

Yes it is possible to obtain 100% pierce especially for Storm and Fire Wizard. Hades gear for storm (about 15ish?, Shadow Shrike 50%, Treasure Cards Infallible (20%) and Extraordinary (35%) which equals 120% Pierce. Scary, I know

And for the card packs you can get Jade Gear for PvP, amazing wands like the Lunar Scepter of Anubis, Frosty Stare Tiki Torch, Teeth of the Lords of Night, etc, pack exclusive pets, permanent mounts like the Hydra, Surfboard, Phoenix, Wyverns, Ravens, Kirins, and a bunch of other pack exclusive mounts. So packs benefit both PvE and PvP.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2014
I agree that treasure cards can make things unfair. I personally don't consider them very sporting. It's so annoying to be dueling with your hard earned skill and spells and then the other guy (who was losing) pulls out an insane treasure card he bought and you're gone in one hit.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2011
Thank you Megan for your reply.

But a child that is on free play and can only earn crown by playing the other games will most definitely find it almost impossible to buy tc. I understand what you are saying to a point, but really how long would you have to farm firecat alley to even one super good tc? I would not want to. So you say one can buy them, yes I said that also, but the next you want to stock up on tc for pvp you go farm firecat alley and see how fun that is.

And yes you are reiterating my comments on the packs. But call me an old fashioned fogey but I believe in getting what you pay for. If you pay extra money above and beyond what it takes to play the game, then the items you are paying for should be better than the in game items. Yes you can get items, pets, mounts that you cannot get "in the game". But when the items in game, say like hades armor, is better than the armor you can get in the pack, what is the point in buying packs? They are not all that cheap. At the beginning levels that are most definitely better than in game items. But as you go up in level not so much. Yes if the looks of the armor is what you really want then buy by all means. But if it is stats you are looking for then in the later parts of the game you pretty much have to go with the "in game" items. Yes you will probably have to farm or craft the item. But still would be better than what you can get in a pack. And you brought up you can get jade armor for pvp. Um yea I said in my post that i have jade armor. But depending on the circumstances jade is now worthless. Ki is making it more and more quick kills because everyone was complaining when the jade came out (I'm just guessing on that), now its coming down to which team attacks first wins. 1st person quakes, then the next however many use multi attack spell with the shrike on, and yea well another team bites the dust. With full 100% pierce and no xtra shield, well no defense what so ever. And yes pvp is not for everyone.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
The whole reason why Shrike was added was to combat jade users like you being nigh-immortal because no one could get enough pierce to get through your armor. Now the meta has swung back over to the offense side. Also, have you tried shields? Or black mantles? Or stuns? Or Efreet/Juju? Shrike is counterable in many ways.

Survivor
Jan 06, 2010
Not just the Treasure Cards, more or less, but the levels, this has been a constant since it has been around as well as the TC dispute

Adding a rule set to battles, to use not use TCs (for those who have interest in this)

One of the best additions they could make to it would be level bracketing, let me explain.

10-19
20-29
and so on till 90-100

And after this match up, comes rank

So even in this case, a lvl 20 warlord would not get a fight with a lvl 52 (any)

Yes health and school moves depending can lay down the law on how that fight will go, we have seen good attempts to stop things like puppeteers, and down rankers, but as for down rankers.

Not a lot that can be done in that area, but best if it was on a level bracket, not a rounded to system

Just an idea for a more fair combat environment

Some go for the fight, not to reach any specific goal, just the combat

Again, even if both where selectable rule play types, it would allow others to fight battles with like minded people, both those seeking these, and those who are opposed to this kind of fight style would win

Survivor
Sep 05, 2011
Thank you robobot1747 for your reply.

That was not really the point. Yes there are many ways to do many things.

My point was why sell something and then make a way to make it utterly useless. The jade has no attack boost, no crit boost, ect. ect. ect. All it is good for is the resist to damage. With a bit of health boost, slight healing increase.

Um yea you bring up shields. Did you even bother to really read the post I made? I did say the first person quake, um the means earthquake. If I remember correctly earthquake gets rid of well what everything but stun block. And on every single opponent. So shields of any kind, absorbs of any kind, those little swords whirling around their heads, well um what, everything but stun blocks go bye bye no? Of course they could have changed that also. You can also hide things ect. ect. ect.. Not the point I was making. Even if you manage to have the perfect deck, they can find ways around it. That worse case, and I think we can both agree it will happen time and time again. I could be wrong but they might have made jade in the first place because some schools make insane hits in just a few rounds.

Like I said thank you for input. It is all relevant to the game and makes for good conversation.

Survivor
May 28, 2011
treasure cards can turn the tide of any pvp match the only times i find them unfair is when they abuse them say they keep spamming tower shield treasure cards until the run out and thats when i find it unfair

Blaine thunderhammer level sixty six fire wizard

Survivor
Sep 05, 2011
Thank you Blaine Thunderhammer for your reply.

At level 66 it is much easier to farm the gold to buy treasure cards. I am mostly talking about the wizards that are on free play. I believe most of them are younger and don't have access to money to have a membership or able to buy crowns. I may be wrong but I do believe that is quite a few. One of the nice things for parents is the ability to limit the chat. The game is free other than internet access. So there are parents that will let their children ( usually younger i believe ) play this game. But if the parents do not pay for membership, then the child is very limited to where they can farm. They can slowly earn crowns various ways, but again I would not want to. They would have "farm" crowns first. Then as they open up new areas in the game, farm for gold, or use the crowns to buy gold. Wow, ok, lol you try it. But I suppose it is possible over many months to open up a new area or two. As I said in an earlier post I would not want to try farming around Wizard City to get tc. So If someone does have a membership, higher level char to put things in the shared bank to sell, then they have an unfair advantage to someone who is not able to do so. My opinion on this is for KI to make a ranked pvp with no tc so that they also have a chance to get a ranked title. Yes they can do the unranked pvp but that is not the same.

You mentioned unfair use of tc. Well if they are allowed then there is no unfair use. All is fair in love and war as they say. But imagine that you have no readily available access to tc and go up against someone who spams them. Not fun is it? How many times would you win?

Defender
Apr 08, 2011
Treasure cards are entirely fair. However, in ranked it kind of bothers me because you're kind of "cheating" your way to the top. But, it's still fair. ANYONE can buy treasure cards. Yes, it may be complicated at a lower level. But it's still possible. While it is true that paying members or crowns members have easier access to treasure cards/gold, they're paying with real money. You can also add level restrictions to pvp for a higher chance of going against the lower level, non-paying members.

Melissa Daydreamer

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Quick note. F2P players cannot do ranked pvp. This is where most of the TC complaints stem from so I feel that it should be addressed that if they are F2P and are having trouble gathering the gold for TC they would not be using said TC in the arena. Other than that I shall recede to the sidelines again.

Survivor
May 29, 2009
lvl 10
I'm sorry but in the pvp system as you get to the higher ranks (1400 just about for me) you start getting very hard battles. i get any one lvl 20-55 (very rare i get some one my lvl) all of who have better power pips hitting power and not to mention critical and space in there deck. I only have forty cards in my deck and often have to kill people with over 2000and resist but if i were to lose 500 rank ( bringing me down to 900) and was then fighting people lvl 5-35 (of the same rank ) wile using the same tc and gear i use now i can see that being unfair
I do think that using tc is op, but I wouldn't call it unfair

my stats: (note) I play against lvl 20(rank 1000 ish) - 55 (rank < 100)
+1 power pip from wand
28% power pips
34% damage 25%
40% resist
6% critical note i've only won 3/400 games because of critical (not counting heals that may have saved me)

plz explain how an op lvl 10 vs a lvl 55 is unfair in any way

the tc I use:
  • tower 1
  • freeze 1
  • efreet 1
  • some other 5 pip spell 1
  • fortify 1
  • infailible 1
  • weakness 1
  • elemental blade 1

keep in mind that i may have 40 resist but i only have 919 which means a spell that would other wise do 1540 (ish) will kill me

forgive my spelling (and grammer)

destiny iceheart

Survivor
May 29, 2009
Alicia Shadowmance... on Oct 14, 2014 wrote:
Thank you Blaine Thunderhammer for your reply.

At level 66 it is much easier to farm the gold to buy treasure cards. I am mostly talking about the wizards that are on free play. I believe most of them are younger and don't have access to money to have a membership or able to buy crowns. I may be wrong but I do believe that is quite a few. One of the nice things for parents is the ability to limit the chat. The game is free other than internet access. So there are parents that will let their children ( usually younger i believe ) play this game. But if the parents do not pay for membership, then the child is very limited to where they can farm. They can slowly earn crowns various ways, but again I would not want to. They would have "farm" crowns first. Then as they open up new areas in the game, farm for gold, or use the crowns to buy gold. Wow, ok, lol you try it. But I suppose it is possible over many months to open up a new area or two. As I said in an earlier post I would not want to try farming around Wizard City to get tc. So If someone does have a membership, higher level char to put things in the shared bank to sell, then they have an unfair advantage to someone who is not able to do so. My opinion on this is for KI to make a ranked pvp with no tc so that they also have a chance to get a ranked title. Yes they can do the unranked pvp but that is not the same.

You mentioned unfair use of tc. Well if they are allowed then there is no unfair use. All is fair in love and war as they say. But imagine that you have no readily available access to tc and go up against someone who spams them. Not fun is it? How many times would you win?
If they are low lvl free players with no crowns i don't think they will be doing much ranked pvp

in practice i don't see as many people using tc