Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

new Nightmare has May Cast Unicorn but

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 02, 2014
never once have I seen this pet cast it. Now I understand that may casts are random? unpredictable? and definitely not guaranteed....but you'd think I'd have seen it happen at least once. Is this broken? anyone else have this pet with this pet ability and seen it work? I'm thinking of trashing the pet since it's broken (waste of crowns)......at least the boosts on my other death pet actually work :/

Survivor
Apr 11, 2012
Sorry you are having this problem. I have several nightmare pets (from various years of nightmare packs),and they all cast unicorn nicely. The higher you level your pet, the better chances of casting. At least that's what works on all my pets. Hope this helps.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Unicorn triggers on damage, so if you aren't getting hit, it doesn't cast. The more often you get hit, the more it casts, so it's most useful for the player in the 'tank' position (sun) and with self-harm spells. I wish the overall cast rate was a little higher.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
May cast talents can be very irregular. They have a small percent chance of happening when certain trigger events within a battle occur -- and the triggers are different for different talents. Usually they are things like damage taken, or a spell is cast, etc. But because of basic probability factors, they may cast several times in a row, or they may not cast at all for extended periods of time.

Generally, most of the talents used to cast with greater frequency, but they were adjusted downward a year or so ago (if my memory serves), and there was a lot of posting about these changes then. But they are what they are now, which is fairly irregular. Be happy when you get them, but don't count on them.

Explorer
Feb 02, 2014
Cockatielmom on Oct 5, 2014 wrote:
Sorry you are having this problem. I have several nightmare pets (from various years of nightmare packs),and they all cast unicorn nicely. The higher you level your pet, the better chances of casting. At least that's what works on all my pets. Hope this helps.
I did a gauntlet for 5.5 hours with it equipped and it didn't cast it once. Maybe I will try leveling higher, but I've invested in mega snacks, and I don't want to use crown items to level a pet for it to continue to do nothing for me.....we'll see thanks for your input. It's currently an adult but just 150 points away from Ancient so I'll get it there, use it in a gauntlet and hope it works this time.

Explorer
Feb 02, 2014
Prince of Shadows on Oct 5, 2014 wrote:
Unicorn triggers on damage, so if you aren't getting hit, it doesn't cast. The more often you get hit, the more it casts, so it's most useful for the player in the 'tank' position (sun) and with self-harm spells. I wish the overall cast rate was a little higher.
I was in the tank position as the highest level of my friends when in the gauntlet. I have had this pet since it was released this year, and it has not cast it once, it was the first talent it got too.

I understand FinnAgainWindrider but I have never seen it cast even once, hence why I posted to see if anyone else has seen it cast. I have other pets that have Batusi and another that has Spritely, so I've seen the irregularities of these May Casts......I just wish I would see my pet do it at least once to know that it works.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2009
I am frustrated with my pet Nightmare too. I am Half Death and the more money I put into this pony the worse it works. its suppose to cast death trap and Life Unicorn and Meters. I hardly see it working at all and I am playing and Training TONS. I see lots of NEWER Pets on the servers and they are working GREAT for other players. When are my Expensive TRAINED pets going to start putting out the magic they are suppose to be Helping us Fight in battles.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
I have a life minotaur with the unicorn talent. (Sorry, it's a hatched one, not a normal talent for this type.) It was casting fine yesterday. You never know when they will cast. Damage is the trigger, but not a talent to rely on if you are in trouble. Just a nice helpful bonus when it happens. I notice that when the enemy is using multi-hits it seems to activate more often.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2012
Personally, I prefer stat boosts for this reason. May Cast talents are unreliable. Sometimes, they will activate and save you, but more often than not, they either activate when you don't need a heal or never activate at all.

If you want a pet that will heal you often, you need to get multiple heals on your pet. Each heal only has a small chance of activating, so the more you have, the more often you'll get healed. Just remember, even with multiple heals, you will still go through droughts where your pet doesn't heal at all. As FinnAgainWindrider stated, don't count on them to pull you out of a tough situation.

Also, age, pet type, and stats do not effect the casting rate of May Cast talents. A Teen Nightmare with Unicorn has the same chance of casting it as a Mega Nightmare.