Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Talent Trading

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 08, 2012
I think it would be so cool if we could have some kind of station in the Pet Pavilion that will allow you to trade a bad talent that's on your pet for a talent that you would actually want. The limit it could have would be 1 Talent Trade per pet and it could cost from 100 - 1,000 Crowns to trade the talent. Also, the pet would have to be Mega in order to use the Station because Mega is the last stage and such. You would only use the station on a pet that's almost good (4 good talents and 1 bad talent) and you would like to trade that bad talent for something else. Well, actually I think it shouldn't require Mega to use the station, how about your pet has to be Ancient or Epic to use the station? Sounds good to me. So anyways, if this kind of station was available, would you use it? I know I would because I have an Avenging Fossil that has Spell-Proof, Spell-Defying, May Cast Unicorn, Critical Striker, and 1 selfish talent. I Would love to switch the selfish talent to something like Death Assailant or Death-Dealer, both would be better then the selfish talent. So anyways, if this option was available, I ask again, would you use this station to trade 1 bad talent for a better talent of your choice? If so, is there a specific pet that you have right now that you would love to switch 1 talent to something else? If you do, then tell me. Also, tell me if this is a good or bad idea and why. If you want to, feel free to add onto this idea, I'm open to extending this idea and who knows, Kingsisle MIGHT make this happen or might not, we won't know, it's all a mystery. So anyways, tell me what y'all think of this idea

Explorer
Apr 21, 2011
I think this is a good idea. may cast infallible has always been a problem for me it shows up in everything. or getting rid of all those heal talents there are so many and one usually shows up somehow

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I think it's both a good and bad idea.

It's good because I think everybody out there has a pet they that's almost perfect in their eyes. I think just about everybody would love to be able to do it.

It's bad because I know there would probably be a lot of people who would complain about it. They've invested so much time and money into breeding and to have someone just come along and start cherry picking talents (even if it's limited to just one) to pop onto one of their pets would probably make more than a few people angry.

I had suggested on another thread a couple of days ago something similar. You could still swap talents, but they have to be talents your pet has and just didn't learn when it advanced. You can't add a talent your pet wasn't born with.

It would still benefit those who have put in all that time and effort breeding talents into their pets, but not give others an unfair advantage.

In that case you could have unlimited swaps, but your pet would never become more powerful than it's original potential. It would apply to all talents, including derby talents, and you could even swap back to previous talents if you decided you don't like the ones you swapped to.

My pet? A White Winter Owl with Pip O'Plenty, Shart-Shot, Pain-Giver, and Spell-Proof. At Mega? Ice-Boon. I don't think this pet had Defender, but it may have had Spritely which I would have preferred over Ice-Boon.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2011
that would be great being able to pick a talent that is already in my pet. cause I no the talent I want is there but something else always shows up, and for me it is usually at mega

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
I like this idea. And most folks will appreciate having multiple options to train their pets up to mega level, with the option to swap out a talent they don't want; with one they do.

Why is this suggestion an improvement to the existing system?
Players invest time and gold hatching and training each pet; so its not uncommon for a player to train seven generations of a pet, before it obtains all the talents the player want.

How long does it take to get a seventh generation pet?
On average; one month, if you play for several hours a day, and spend about a half a million in gold pieces.

But KI will lose money if you change the current pet training system?

All businesses attempt to generate profit from every transaction. They also evolve and grow to keep up with client, customer, and consumer demands. KI does the same thing; and if enough consumers demand something; even KI will adjust what they do or sell to satisfy their customers, while continuing to generate a profit throughout the entire process. Are there any examples of this:
  • Mega snacks. Many players feed their pets mega snacks to speed up their training; but you're not required to use them. Mega snacks can be bought with crowns (ie. Mega Snack Pack); garden to harvest them (ie. Red Grape Wraiths are great to grow for mega snacks); or battle through a dungeon to collect them as drops (ie., Winterbane is a dungeon found at a player's house). Sometimes mega snacks go on sale at the Crown Shop, so if prefer to just buy mega snack packs, wait until the go on sale; then double your purchase.

Defender
Dec 08, 2012
High Five Ghost on Sep 29, 2014 wrote:
I think it's both a good and bad idea.

It's good because I think everybody out there has a pet they that's almost perfect in their eyes. I think just about everybody would love to be able to do it.

It's bad because I know there would probably be a lot of people who would complain about it. They've invested so much time and money into breeding and to have someone just come along and start cherry picking talents (even if it's limited to just one) to pop onto one of their pets would probably make more than a few people angry.

I had suggested on another thread a couple of days ago something similar. You could still swap talents, but they have to be talents your pet has and just didn't learn when it advanced. You can't add a talent your pet wasn't born with.

It would still benefit those who have put in all that time and effort breeding talents into their pets, but not give others an unfair advantage.

In that case you could have unlimited swaps, but your pet would never become more powerful than it's original potential. It would apply to all talents, including derby talents, and you could even swap back to previous talents if you decided you don't like the ones you swapped to.

My pet? A White Winter Owl with Pip O'Plenty, Shart-Shot, Pain-Giver, and Spell-Proof. At Mega? Ice-Boon. I don't think this pet had Defender, but it may have had Spritely which I would have preferred over Ice-Boon.
Ah yes! I actually never thought of that. That would indeed be better if you're only allowed to switched 1 talent for another talent that the pet has manifested. Also, while using the station, the station can show you what the other talents are, mark the talents already learned as red and mark the talents that aren't learned as blue for easier viewing of the pet. Like, the station could allow 1 talent trade per pet and you're ONLY allowed to trade 1 talent with any of the other talents that it has and none that it does not have. The station could show you all of the talents it has manifested from the pets and then you choose which talent you would like to switch 1 of the talents to. Excellent thinking there. I never would of thought of that. The limit would be 1 talent trade per pet and you are only allowed to trade 1 talent with any other unlearned talent that the pet already has. If you want Spell-Proof but your pet doesn't have that talent in it's pool of talents, then you are not able to swap any of your bad talents to Spell-Proof. Also, I think it would be kinda better if it required the pet to be Adult or Ancient. I think Ancient would be better so that it at least already has 3 talents learned but I honestly wouldn't use the station unless if I have a pet at Mega so that I know all of the talents that it has learned but of course, I would stop training a pet if it is REALLY bad at Ancient or so because if the pet is bad, I will immediately stop to save Energy and Snacks. If the pet station requires the minimum age of Ancient, then if you try to use the station when your pet is only Baby, Teen, or Adult, then the station would say "Your pet must be at least Ancient to use this station".

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Tylerwildpants on Sep 30, 2014 wrote:
I like this idea. And most folks will appreciate having multiple options to train their pets up to mega level, with the option to swap out a talent they don't want; with one they do.

Why is this suggestion an improvement to the existing system?
Players invest time and gold hatching and training each pet; so its not uncommon for a player to train seven generations of a pet, before it obtains all the talents the player want.

How long does it take to get a seventh generation pet?
On average; one month, if you play for several hours a day, and spend about a half a million in gold pieces.

But KI will lose money if you change the current pet training system?

All businesses attempt to generate profit from every transaction. They also evolve and grow to keep up with client, customer, and consumer demands. KI does the same thing; and if enough consumers demand something; even KI will adjust what they do or sell to satisfy their customers, while continuing to generate a profit throughout the entire process. Are there any examples of this:
  • Mega snacks. Many players feed their pets mega snacks to speed up their training; but you're not required to use them. Mega snacks can be bought with crowns (ie. Mega Snack Pack); garden to harvest them (ie. Red Grape Wraiths are great to grow for mega snacks); or battle through a dungeon to collect them as drops (ie., Winterbane is a dungeon found at a player's house). Sometimes mega snacks go on sale at the Crown Shop, so if prefer to just buy mega snack packs, wait until the go on sale; then double your purchase.
Great overview.

I have managed to produce some decent pets, but nothing that can compete with someone who plays Wiz101 40 hours a week. Frankly I got burned out from all the failures, and I would welcome an alternative. I would pay up to 5000 crowns if I could have a good talent trade. If anything, I think this would encourage players to buy more.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Thanks Lucas!

There's a growing number of us who share your pet training frustration, and believe the current system can be improved, without KI losing money in the process.

Each pet has 10 talents; with 5 talents coming from each parent. And because talents are set once an egg is hatched, its possible to let players know in advance what talents they'll receive at each progressive level (baby, teen, adult, ancient, epic, and mega).

While some may argue this would cause KI to lose money because players would stop training their pets if they knew all the powers they had; this is a weak argument at best. Most players already stop training their pets once they get a talent the player doesn't want them to have.

People are still going to train their pets; they'll just adjust how and when they hatch and train them is all. And while this may make some folks unhappy at the thought of players being able to better manage and train their pets, KI certainly won't loose money in the process; and players will be happier because of it.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
If they do it right, they'll make plenty more money.

People have already figured out how to get their Mega Snacks without buying the Mega Snack Packs. So that's already cut into their revenue stream.

Offer people the opportunity to spend Crowns to improve their pets with a talent swapping option, that's an additional revenue stream that didn't exist before.

The best way to keep customers paying is to nickel and dime them in ways where they don't realize they're being nickeled and dimed. Up front gouging drives people away from paying. But if it's just a little here and a little there... people don't really notice, and often times don't care.

I mean imagine if you could spend 250 Crowns per talent seap. Peanuts right? How many people would spend that? Probably thousands. How much money is that?

And if it becomes that easy for people to improve their pets, how many people are going to start treating pets like other gear where they will have options having more than one pet? Say in one case you want a healing pet, another you want a pet that does a lot of damage, or has a lot of resistance. People maybe start breeding multiple pets for the same wizard to add another element to battle strategies. Then again, some of the hardcore strategists may already be doing it.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
High Five Ghost on Oct 2, 2014 wrote:
If they do it right, they'll make plenty more money.

People have already figured out how to get their Mega Snacks without buying the Mega Snack Packs. So that's already cut into their revenue stream.

Offer people the opportunity to spend Crowns to improve their pets with a talent swapping option, that's an additional revenue stream that didn't exist before.

The best way to keep customers paying is to nickel and dime them in ways where they don't realize they're being nickeled and dimed. Up front gouging drives people away from paying. But if it's just a little here and a little there... people don't really notice, and often times don't care.

I mean imagine if you could spend 250 Crowns per talent seap. Peanuts right? How many people would spend that? Probably thousands. How much money is that?

And if it becomes that easy for people to improve their pets, how many people are going to start treating pets like other gear where they will have options having more than one pet? Say in one case you want a healing pet, another you want a pet that does a lot of damage, or has a lot of resistance. People maybe start breeding multiple pets for the same wizard to add another element to battle strategies. Then again, some of the hardcore strategists may already be doing it.
How many people would spend that? Probably thousands. How much money is that?

Not much at all. It's not even the price of one seed or snack pack for a powerful permanent change. They would make NO money on this.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Champion
Aug 15, 2012
Gemma Luna on Oct 3, 2014 wrote:
No, more "pay to win". Do not want.
I agree. If you pay to get a pet talent you want, does that give you any sense of achievement? Does it make you feel happy that after months of slogging you finally got a stroke of good luck? If you got the hades gear through a drop you would feel happy right? Would you feel that same elation if you paid for it?