Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

farming

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 24, 2009
ok, i just legit farmed oyotomi the defiler 120 hoping for oyotomis cowl of vacancy. so far it has taken most of my day and i havent even got one good drop. then my friend comes along, ports, and gets it first try. why cant i ever get good luck with farming???

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
Like many things in W101 it seems to be completely random. There is a fixed percentage chance of any given piece of loot dropping each time you win a duel. Each win appears to be an independent trial in the statistical sense, meaning it doesn't matter how many times you have previously defeated a mob and failed or succeeded to get a particular piece of loot, the chance of it dropping for each additional duel is still the same fixed percentage.

I get the frustration. I farmed waterworks for days. My storm wizard got the hat and robe first run through, and boots on the second, the best possible result. My balance wizard got the hat on the first try, and nada for an additional 15 runs, except more of the same hat (he eventually collected five). I finally gave up on the WW balance gear, and eventually made him some Avalon crafted gear that is about equivalent.

Some items drop much less frequently than others. From comments I have seen on various forums, it seems waterworks gear actually drops pretty often, most useful dropped gear is harder to farm for. I don't have the patience for that, so took up crafting.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2009
update: i got it after 324 times. the good thing is that i got the smoggers robe after one try, lol.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
usually a wizard has a talent at being really good at farming for on thing and getting it easily. for my fire wizard i am best at farming for real spells.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
DanTheTerrible2 on Aug 1, 2014 wrote:
Like many things in W101 it seems to be completely random. There is a fixed percentage chance of any given piece of loot dropping each time you win a duel. Each win appears to be an independent trial in the statistical sense, meaning it doesn't matter how many times you have previously defeated a mob and failed or succeeded to get a particular piece of loot, the chance of it dropping for each additional duel is still the same fixed percentage.

I get the frustration. I farmed waterworks for days. My storm wizard got the hat and robe first run through, and boots on the second, the best possible result. My balance wizard got the hat on the first try, and nada for an additional 15 runs, except more of the same hat (he eventually collected five). I finally gave up on the WW balance gear, and eventually made him some Avalon crafted gear that is about equivalent.

Some items drop much less frequently than others. From comments I have seen on various forums, it seems waterworks gear actually drops pretty often, most useful dropped gear is harder to farm for. I don't have the patience for that, so took up crafting.
"Each win appears to be an independent trial in the statistical sense, meaning it doesn't matter how many times you have previously defeated a mob and failed or succeeded to get a particular piece of loot, the chance of it dropping for each additional duel is still the same fixed percentage."

My problem with that is that after so many times, you should get something you are looking for. If you don't, then there's a possibility that the design/programming is flawed and needs to be tweaked. For example, with a coin (heads/tails), there's a 50/50 chance of it landing on one or the other. In real life if you do it, say two dozen times, you might get between 50/50 and 60/40 on the results, which is realistic. However, if in a virtual game you get almost all heads with only one or two tails, then something is wrong, at least if the odds are still supposed to be 50/50.

I already know that someone will reply saying that each one has to be treated independently but it doesn't exclude the fact that with a percentage of a chance, it is still a probability and after so many times trying, it will inevitably become a statistic in which the chance of continued failure (or success) is going to change. I might not be wording or explaining it quite right but what it boils down to is this, if it's not being done already, then periodically (once a month or once a quarter), a thorough test should be done on the random generator to insure that it's indeed working as it should and not somehow messing up. That way, if there happens to be a flaw somewhere, it can be discovered and fixed.

All that said though, depending on the rarity of the item, it's understandable if someone farms something several times a day for several days and comes out with nothing while someone else might come along and get it in just one try. Just can be frustrating depending on what it is and other circumstances involved.