Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Too Many Traps and Blades

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
There has probably been a post about this, but I wasn't able to find it. I'm a balance wizard who just learned potent trap and sharpened blade. That means I now have at least six traps to place on an enemy plus at least seven blades. The trouble is many of these traps and blades look exactly the same once they've been applied. Since it takes me so many rounds to apply everything, I actually forget which spells I've already done. When I did the "one in a million" achievement, I had to keep a scratch pad by my computer and tick off each spell after I cast it. That's very tedious, and I don't want to do it for every boss. I'd really appreciate it if sharpened blades looked slightly different to regular ones, and ditto for potent traps. The only reason I can think of to NOT do that is if you want to fake people out in PVP, but I guess you could disable it for that.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
That's an awesome idea!

I always get lost when blading and trapping up, it's really frustrating when you think you haven't put that blade and then you put the same again, losing one round.

The battle interface could also tell us what trap and blade have we put, like a small battle record on the right side, it would make things a lot easier.

It really needs to be improved!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
windrunner585 on Jun 27, 2014 wrote:
There has probably been a post about this, but I wasn't able to find it. I'm a balance wizard who just learned potent trap and sharpened blade. That means I now have at least six traps to place on an enemy plus at least seven blades. The trouble is many of these traps and blades look exactly the same once they've been applied. Since it takes me so many rounds to apply everything, I actually forget which spells I've already done. When I did the "one in a million" achievement, I had to keep a scratch pad by my computer and tick off each spell after I cast it. That's very tedious, and I don't want to do it for every boss. I'd really appreciate it if sharpened blades looked slightly different to regular ones, and ditto for potent traps. The only reason I can think of to NOT do that is if you want to fake people out in PVP, but I guess you could disable it for that.
here is just one of many threads about it (where a few of us agree whole heartily with you):

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/identifying-cards-suggestion-8ad6a418440156c801446bc2c78f56a2?reset=1

it still needs to be addressed

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
I don't see much practicality to this. It's not hard to remember the difference really people. There is not really a way to implement this into the game since the next complaint would be about pet casts and pet sharpens, etc.

-The RavenCatcher

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
There needs to be a change to make pet and item cards look different. Right now there is no way to tell them apart, even in your hand. Other than that, I suggest this:

When you cast a buff, say it in chat. This lets you remember, and let your teammates know so they don't duplicate. If you have multiple targets, say the cast and target when casting traps so you can look at your chat and know what is already up.

"trained feint on key", "potent feint on key", "sharp blade on Joe" etc

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Sokad on Jun 28, 2014 wrote:
I don't see much practicality to this. It's not hard to remember the difference really people. There is not really a way to implement this into the game since the next complaint would be about pet casts and pet sharpens, etc.

-The RavenCatcher

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/blades-traps-indicator-8ad6a415422cbb78014231c03b01426f

I addressed that with a practical solution in previous thread.

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
seethe42 on Jun 28, 2014 wrote:
https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/blades-traps-indicator-8ad6a415422cbb78014231c03b01426f

I addressed that with a practical solution in previous thread.
Even if you did implemented this, once you start adding spirit or elemental blades and get more than 9 spinning around you it's just gonna be a jumble of random effects and I think you'll have to rely on your memory in any case. So that's why I don't think it will be worth it, maybe just in PvP since most people don't overstack.

-The RavenCatcher

Survivor
Sep 07, 2010
Prince of Shadows on Jun 28, 2014 wrote:
There needs to be a change to make pet and item cards look different. Right now there is no way to tell them apart, even in your hand. Other than that, I suggest this:

When you cast a buff, say it in chat. This lets you remember, and let your teammates know so they don't duplicate. If you have multiple targets, say the cast and target when casting traps so you can look at your chat and know what is already up.

"trained feint on key", "potent feint on key", "sharp blade on Joe" etc
that is what we do.. say it out loud .. it also helps folks who don't notice that was a feint i just put there .. etc... take away that oopps i did not know about your feint or trap. can be annoying

Iridian JadeThistle

Champion
Mar 19, 2009
I really despise how you have to one-hit in duels to not lose, but until KI fixes that I support.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
There was a thread a few months back, that I am too lazy to hunt down now, that suggested charms and wards could display a two-digit number on the back side that represents their effectiveness percentage, instead of the currently useless graphic of the three meeting support bars. The game tells you that number anyway when the spell is cast, but only for a second or two; it's easy to miss the message the moment the spell is cast. Displaying the number permanently would make things a lot easier. And since in many cases different blades, traps, whatever of the same school will have different percentage effectiveness, having that number visible would go a long way towards telling different ones apart. Certainly a sharpened and a regular blade of the same type could be easily distinguished, as the sharpened version would be 10% stronger. Likewise treasure and item card versions of spells are often 5% stronger than the regular version, making those easier to tell apart. There would still be a few things that would be different yet have the same number (for example, I have a pet that gives me a 30% item card hex that is numerically identical to the regular 30% hex) but this system would make things a lot easier to tell apart than it is now.