Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestion: Alternate the Starting Person?

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 06, 2009
There are many things wrong with PvP now. I'm not going to go into all of them, but I do want to make a suggestion on the issue of the starting Wizard.

Currently, a player or team will be randomly decided and go first. Battles proceed pretty straight forward from there. However, the second player/team going always has a blind eye to whatever the first player/team does. Also, the first player/team can get a much better guess at one the second player does. Since about 2nd Age PvP, KI has tried to balance this by giving the second player an extra starting pip, which helps, but not much.

In Pirate101, the PvP battles are different. A starting player/team is decided and the battle commences. Then the player/team that went second in the first round, will go first in the second round and things will alternate like that. For Example:

A battle starts
Team A goes first in the 1st Round
Team B goes first in the 2nd Round
Team A goes first in the 3rd Round
Team B goes first in the 4th Round
and then it just alternates until a winner is declared.

I think KI should adjust all PvP battle fields to include this style of battling. When a battle starts, a player or team will go first and make his/her/their move. Then the second player or team will go and make his/her/their move. When the next round starts, the arrow will stay on the second player or team and he/she/they will start that round and make there move. Then it would just alternate like that. Because of that, there wouldn't need to be an extra pip for the second player/team because they'll eventually go first. This would even out battles and remove any disadvantages (for the most part) on either side. I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I'd like to just put it out there to let the idea settle.

Thanks for reading!

Survivor
Oct 30, 2011
I don't see how this actually works better than the current system at addressing blind turn advantages. Once you got used to how things alternated, you could still take advantage of blind turns.

If you had a spell that initiated a change in turns, however, that would be different. My opinion is that if anything is ever done to change the direction of the duel turn cycle (other than beguile), it will need to be something a player can control, not something built into the game mechanics.

Historian
May 06, 2009
Brahm Bright on Jun 24, 2014 wrote:
I don't see how this actually works better than the current system at addressing blind turn advantages. Once you got used to how things alternated, you could still take advantage of blind turns.

If you had a spell that initiated a change in turns, however, that would be different. My opinion is that if anything is ever done to change the direction of the duel turn cycle (other than beguile), it will need to be something a player can control, not something built into the game mechanics.
That's a good idea, but in my mind I'm picturing a spell that's pretty high in cost (like 7+) and obviously Balance oriented (which would give them an immediate advantage) or Moon (as that school has control over change.

Ex:

Faces of the Moon
Pips: 7
Accuracy: 50-100%
*Can't decide.
Caster & caster's team are the starting player(s)

Something like that. I think it's a possibility but issues of how easy it would be to get and how effective it can be would make or break such a spell. I think all in all it could be a good spell.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Brahm Bright on Jun 24, 2014 wrote:

It is clearly quite different, as both players can see what the other player has done, rather than wait a turn or know it easily. Second would not have a disadvantage. A spell would allow you to control first and second, sure, but second would still always be blind. The turn system would still be unfair if a spell such as you are suggesting was implemented into the game.