Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

pre-name eggs

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 30, 2011
i just spent a small fortune renaming all the pets in my backpack. it got me thinking that you should have some more pet options for names.
  1. we should be able to name an egg as soon as you get it. because, come on ... king lucy? no. queen rocco? no. how bout you just let me tell you what i want it to be first?
  2. we should have more pet name choices. i don't always want my pet to have a funsy/kitschy sounding person's name. sometimes i want to name a pet fang, or devil, or arrow, or goliath. where are those options?

sorry if this is a repeat topic but i still think it's important.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2013
I agree! At least it is not like wizard101 used to be, where you could not rename pets at all, but I really hate having to waste money renaming a phoenix named mister Lucy or something like that.

-Kyle SeaHunter level 79

-Edward SunFinder level 76

-Patrick LifeStone level 28

Defender
Nov 10, 2012
I would love for this to be fixed. Sometimes the names that happen are funny. Like Madame Fluffy for a Wildfire Treant. But you still have to rename it. And if you have TONS of pets, it's 500G each, and just plain annoying to deal with.

Explorer
Feb 17, 2011
It would be great, but you have people that open packs and you could get 2 or more pets at a time and that could be a hassle. Still pretty nice idea

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
Brahm Bright on May 26, 2014 wrote:
i just spent a small fortune renaming all the pets in my backpack. it got me thinking that you should have some more pet options for names.
  1. we should be able to name an egg as soon as you get it. because, come on ... king lucy? no. queen rocco? no. how bout you just let me tell you what i want it to be first?
  2. we should have more pet name choices. i don't always want my pet to have a funsy/kitschy sounding person's name. sometimes i want to name a pet fang, or devil, or arrow, or goliath. where are those options?

sorry if this is a repeat topic but i still think it's important.
I think the first idea is good but I think there are already enough names. I mean, really, you can find some good names in there. I have a pet named Zeus and a pet named Shadow...those are some pretty hard-core names right there.
So, yes, naming eggs is good, but I think that there are more than enough names available to pets.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Dragoncloud888 on Jul 31, 2014 wrote:
I think the first idea is good but I think there are already enough names. I mean, really, you can find some good names in there. I have a pet named Zeus and a pet named Shadow...those are some pretty hard-core names right there.
So, yes, naming eggs is good, but I think that there are more than enough names available to pets.
Yes I would like to see more name choices but we must remember,as it has been pointed out, everytime KI make even a small change to the game it costs them money by having to upload it to the server and then download again to the players, so I can understand why KI don't add more, it eats into the company profit for no real tangible commercial benefit.
Having said that I don't think it's too difficult to name your pet to refelect its school or abilities, for example, my Storm Pet Triton is named Prince Sparky, my snowball pet is named Madame Misty (as if fog or cold weather)
It just takes a bit of creativity and putting the thinking cap on but yes some of the random birth names do make you cringe, on that point I agree with you wholeheartedly lol
James Dreamweaver Promethian
and others

Survivor
Mar 30, 2014
I think there are enough names. But i agree to being able to change the pets name once you get it.
I have a cyclops named Madame Chester. Some names work out like for my piggle I got princess pepper. But I have a pet named prince Lilly.We should be able to change the names once we get the pet, for free.

Emily Deathdust

Necromancer

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Complaining about paying 500 gold to name a pet you just spent 50,000 gold to hatch seems a bit silly. Especially when you most likely will throw said pet away as soon as it gets a talent you don't like. Why rename pets before you have decided whether or not they are worth keeping?

Survivor
Oct 30, 2011
seethe42 on Aug 2, 2014 wrote:
Complaining about paying 500 gold to name a pet you just spent 50,000 gold to hatch seems a bit silly. Especially when you most likely will throw said pet away as soon as it gets a talent you don't like. Why rename pets before you have decided whether or not they are worth keeping?
maybe you don't do this, but you know you can use pets for house decoration too. it helps if their names aren't distracting to your visitors who have toggled name visibility. but aside from that, renaming your pets can help you code them according to their talent pool, and saves you the hassle of having to do a lot of i-menu scrolling back and forth to see which iteration of the pet you want to use in the next hatch. renaming = not silly in the least.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Brahm Bright on Aug 8, 2014 wrote:
maybe you don't do this, but you know you can use pets for house decoration too. it helps if their names aren't distracting to your visitors who have toggled name visibility. but aside from that, renaming your pets can help you code them according to their talent pool, and saves you the hassle of having to do a lot of i-menu scrolling back and forth to see which iteration of the pet you want to use in the next hatch. renaming = not silly in the least.
You don't know it's talent pool until after it hatches, so naming it before the hatch wouldn't help that. Like I said, it's only 500 gold, less than the cost of a single TC. I never said renaming is silly.

Survivor
Oct 30, 2011
seethe42 on Aug 8, 2014 wrote:
You don't know it's talent pool until after it hatches, so naming it before the hatch wouldn't help that. Like I said, it's only 500 gold, less than the cost of a single TC. I never said renaming is silly.
i think you're missing the overall point here, don't know why you're getting caught up on what you assume will help me. you lose a lot of gold over the course of pet hatches, yes. i lose even more because the names are assigned names are stupid and not under my control. that's what's not helping. that's what should be changed. just let me name my pet what i want.

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
Interesting thread topic here,

The OP states that they spent a small fortune changing the randomly generated names given by KI to their pets upon hatching, due to that section of their backpack being so full of pets.

As I continue to read the thread I can see that you favor using your pets as decorations and pepper your house(s) with them for others to view. If you truly have that many pets, then they're a distraction to any who would choose to peruse your house(s) regardless of the name you gave them.

I feel that if you're spending either in-game currency, or real money to acquire new pets that often, especially if they're just for aesthetics, then a mere 500 additional gold is not much to ask of a wealthy player such as you. If you have a high enough level wizard, then farming gold should be easy for you.

I'm not clear if your suggestion involves eliminating the 500 gold fee entirely, or just selecting a name once an egg is hatched and paying it then.

Seethe42 makes an excellent argument to the OP. As a suggestion, you may want to consider selling some of your pets to recuperate some of your small fortune lost.

Survivor
Jan 15, 2013
I think we should pick our pets name by typing it, for instance your school gives u a pet, ( lets use a hydra for instance) and its a tough looking pet, then u read the name and its Queen Love or something.

Nathan Lion Blood lvl 45 wiz