Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pips and Spells

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 16, 2014
Hello! In my last fight with a boss of higher level than me, (I was helping a higher level person) I noticed that even though I had more than enough pips, my spells would be grayed out and would not allow me to cast them. It made me unable to cast any high damage spells. Then after a few rounds the problem went away and the spells were no longer grayed out and then II was able to cast them. Is this some form of glitch, or am I missing some rule in the game or something? It really confused me and I tried to explain to the person I was helping why I was not casting any spells. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any input. Scarlet ShadowStone Level 50

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
hopefulz33 on May 15, 2014 wrote:
Hello! In my last fight with a boss of higher level than me, (I was helping a higher level person) I noticed that even though I had more than enough pips, my spells would be grayed out and would not allow me to cast them. It made me unable to cast any high damage spells. Then after a few rounds the problem went away and the spells were no longer grayed out and then II was able to cast them. Is this some form of glitch, or am I missing some rule in the game or something? It really confused me and I tried to explain to the person I was helping why I was not casting any spells. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any input. Scarlet ShadowStone Level 50
At level 6 you should have seen Diego the Duelmaster. He explained about power pips.
Power pips, the yellow ones, are a bit different. One power pip is the same as two regular ones, ONLY for your own school spells. If you have one power pip, you can cast scorpion but cannot cast leprechaun because it's not your school spell.
My guess is this is what happened. You simply didn't have enough 'regular' pips to cast the spells you were trying to cast.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
hopefulz33 on May 15, 2014 wrote:
Well, if the spells were still greyed out after the couple turns, I would say you didn't have enough mana, but I'm not sure what happened there. Was it a spell outside your main school? Because if it was and you were counting power pips for it, power pips only count as 1 pip to a spell outside of your school unless you have that school's mastery amulet on. I suggest reading the guide on pips over here: https://www.wizard101.com/w101playersguide/how-to-play6

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
OK thanks for the explanation. I missed that part about power pips being only for your main school. However, I am balance and have no trouble with balance spells. My secondary school is storm. I am able to use power pips with storm spells. My third school I have also is Life. It seems that it is only the life spells that power pips don't work with. The only two life spells I use are sprite and satyr. Satyr is the only spell I was having this problem with. I can use all my balance and storm spells with power pips. Is it because my pet is storm school you think? I hope this makes sense. Thanks

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
Oh nevermind. Now I know why it works with storm also. I have the storm amulet on.
so if I want my life spells to work with power pips I should wear the life amulet. I had to reread the posts to understand. Just a little confusing at first to a new person to the game. thanks again.