Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"Balance Spear" doesn't boost all Balance spells

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Ok, so I was in a PvP match, I used King Artorius, and I got my 10% Balance Spear after it. The next turn, because my opponent had that new Ice bubble up and I had 20 extra Ice pierce on him, I used Spectral Blast (it did Ice) but the Balance Spear didn't break. I guess it only works on actual Balance damages and not on Balance spells that do other school damage. I think this should be different because after all, Spectral Blast/Hydra/Chimera are Balance spells too.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Charms only work on their school damage. That's why Spectral Blast can get a boost from Elemental Blade.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Simple Game Mechanics at play here: Spell Mechanics

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
PvP King on May 8, 2014 wrote:
Ok, so I was in a PvP match, I used King Artorius, and I got my 10% Balance Spear after it. The next turn, because my opponent had that new Ice bubble up and I had 20 extra Ice pierce on him, I used Spectral Blast (it did Ice) but the Balance Spear didn't break. I guess it only works on actual Balance damages and not on Balance spells that do other school damage. I think this should be different because after all, Spectral Blast/Hydra/Chimera are Balance spells too.
A great guide on spell mechanics can be found over at Duelist101. It explains why the balance spear does not activate on certain Balance spells.

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-spell-guides/spell-mechanics-boosts-added-spells-implications-moon-magic/

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
If an apple fell off a tree and instead of plummeting to the ground, floated off into the clouds, all of us who saw it are going to have some questions. Same principle here.

Several people have tried to use the logic that Balance Spear only works with balance spells. Ok, well, it frustrates me a bit, because obviously this logic applies nowhere else. Balanceblade? Works on any school. Dragonblade? Any school. Bladestorm? Any school. Dragonspear? Any school. See what I'm saying?

Not one, but several Balance school blades apply to any school. It's just a question of continuity. Why should the King Artorius blade have to be the one exception? Just because they programmed it this way one time doesn't mean it makes sense and is good.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Oran of Urz on May 10, 2014 wrote:
A great guide on spell mechanics can be found over at Duelist101. It explains why the balance spear does not activate on certain Balance spells.

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-spell-guides/spell-mechanics-boosts-added-spells-implications-moon-magic/
Ok thanks and do you think this means that Counterforce won't work for Chimera/Spectral Blast/Hydra?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
PvP King on May 13, 2014 wrote:
Ok thanks and do you think this means that Counterforce won't work for Chimera/Spectral Blast/Hydra?
Counterforce would affect the Critical chances of those spells but not the Pierce, since it is Balance specific.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
It should work, because crit/armor piercing should be applied before the damage type is taken into consideration. Any stats on your Character page will trigger before the spell decides on what type of damage to do, blades will trigger after the fact.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
The critical aspect of it will work but the pierce aspect will not for these spells.

Survivor
Apr 13, 2011
Another reason that the balance spear from King Artorius is because the spear is for balance specific damage, not universal like all of balances other buffs (bar the spirit and elemental blades and traps), so it only works for balance damage, like judgement and loremaster, but not a spell like chimera or hydra, which are balance, but do not do balance damage.

Defender
Apr 05, 2012
PvP King on May 8, 2014 wrote:
spears are for piercing not powering up hope ya learn more in battles for safety