Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Let's Satisfy Everyone

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 25, 2013
John here again

I tried to post this a couple days ago but it never got posted (pretty sure I set off the system for using caps at certain points) but you'll see why later.

Anyway, so I've seen this topic pop up quite frequently in the message boards: cheating bosses

Huge threads on if they should be implemented in the main storyline or just be kept on the side quests for those who seek out a challenge. Well here's my input and I hope someone out there reads this and let me just say if you're gonna post on this thread please make it constructive, not an argument for the sake of argument.

First, cheating bosses should be implemented both in the main storyline and as side quests. But just because a boss "cheats" doesn't mean the degree of cheating has to be extreme.

For example, I think a nice interesting change of pace would be that a boss can use spells for 2 pips less than the normal spell cast. He can shout something mysterious like "why wait so long to draw your sword?" and people might get confused at first and think this is a glitch but I'm sure they'd realize it soon enough. And i'm not saying this cheat should be every boss but I think having a small cheat implemented into the main storyline like this would be a good change because it doesn't completely throw the game's rules out the window, it's just letting the boss almost have a small handicap over us.

I do enjoy tougher challenges in this game from time to time (such as interrupt casts that can only be stopped if you blade or trap at a certain time, etc.) but i think these should be on the side quests for the most part. This game was mostly something that one person could pretty much do on their own all the way through. So I want bosses to cheat in a way that's almost a puzzle, they do an interrupt cast every 4 turns unless you put up a global spell, or unless you use a heal on yourself. Something that can be done by one person but still requires a little bit of thinking.

I'm aware that almost any boss can be soloed with the right gear and deck set up (I've had many struggles through some difficult challenges on my storm, my death does it a bit easier) but I think the last thing that needs to be done is at least give a warning of where these bosses occur. For cheating bosses that aren't so tough (like the 2 pip cost reduction) just put a warning when you enter the dungeon:

Caution: cheating boss ahead. Be aware!

and for the truly difficult and challenging bosses:

Warning: cheating boss ahead! Strongly recommended for 4 wizards

I know one of the biggest frustrations of many people is questing into a dungeon solo for 40 minutes or more, than winding up a boss that is agonizingly difficult to solo because of cheats, or just simply impossible. I think many people out there would simply appreciate the heads up.

There's my thoughts, let me know what you're thinking and add your own ideas I really hope KI reads this and takes it into consideration.

-The RavenCatcher

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
as far as cheating bosses goes, they are getting much more ridiculous. I think what has gotten many users upset, is the fact that the odds are being stacked against us more and more. While nothing is impossible, the requirements are getting nuts. Look at it from the point of view of other players having a hard time. just because you (not your personally) can solo every fight in the game doesnt mean anybody else can. How many people have a problem with Kravenly? Chester Drawers? The 3 on 1s? etc. It IS getting quite lopsided, and the new decks that give a pip at the start of battle is the FIRST step to giving us balance. The wands that gave pips (that were phased out during test realm) at the beginning of battles would have been another nice step. This way, it would be a more fair match.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Brilliant idea! That way I can pop onto the wiki, find out his cheats, and craft a counter-deck. I approve, and Von will probably like it too.

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
dayerider on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
as far as cheating bosses goes, they are getting much more ridiculous. I think what has gotten many users upset, is the fact that the odds are being stacked against us more and more. While nothing is impossible, the requirements are getting nuts. Look at it from the point of view of other players having a hard time. just because you (not your personally) can solo every fight in the game doesnt mean anybody else can. How many people have a problem with Kravenly? Chester Drawers? The 3 on 1s? etc. It IS getting quite lopsided, and the new decks that give a pip at the start of battle is the FIRST step to giving us balance. The wands that gave pips (that were phased out during test realm) at the beginning of battles would have been another nice step. This way, it would be a more fair match.
Well that's why I suggested the degree of cheats be lessened. I understand that not all cheating bosses are frowned upon just the ones that require so much from a person that it becomes "all work and no play"

K2 did take it down a notch (personal opinion) but i think what we need is to find that balance that satisfies everyone, and these suggestions are more for the upcoming worlds, and implementing the dungeon warning would be nice in all existing ones for the future players.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
As long as the cheats aren't ridiculous/extreme/stupidly difficult to the point that they stonewall players who can't find a team, this might actually be bearable, as long as there was some sort of warning.

My issue with cheats in the main arc is that they often, as Northlite put it, create a stopping point; casual players like me, who can't play at peak times and who don't always have the resources (time, money, friends) to complete the instance get stuck and cannot progress. Like Belloq~ I was stuck there forever, and had to wait until the weekend to get help.

My stats are awesome, and I *can* solo most battles, including some of the stupid ones. My storm wizard with 3200 health took out that hideous spider thing in Tyrian Gorge: there were 4 of them, and one of her, and I still won on the second try. It's just that it takes forever, and I would really rather not have to slog through these instances by myself. If I lived in a popular time zone and played at peak times, then perhaps I wouldn't have to.

If there's a warning, at least I'll know to just park it and wait for the weekend, when I can stay up until 4 am to get help.