Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Confused On Hatching

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 04, 2010
This may be a question commonly asked, but if you're hatching, for example a imp with a dragon, and your pets the dragon would you get the imp, or its stats? I'm really confused. I've just started hatching and I need help.

- Scarlet Moon Stone, lvl 41

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
Hatching is completely random. You stand a 50/50 chance of getting either pet, and the talents your new pet will have are a combination of its parents talents.

Defender
Oct 04, 2010
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense now.

- Scarlet Moon Stone, lvl 41

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
I also think it should be mentioned pets sometimes have "hidden" talents.

Sometimes if a parent pet has a gene that it did not reveal it can be passed down to the new pet. (for example, if you have a pet that MIGHT give "Spell Defy" but it didn't give it when you trained it, there is still a teeny tiny chance it can be passed down to the new pet. Although this is rare I feel it is worth mentioning since it's happened to me a couple of times :P

John RavenCatcher - lvl95
John StormWalker - lvl95
John DragonPyre - lvl52
John FrostShard - lvl45

"Bambi is my old name.
Now.. Now they call me Deer Knight."

Defender
Oct 04, 2010
Sokad on Apr 11, 2014 wrote:
I also think it should be mentioned pets sometimes have "hidden" talents.

Sometimes if a parent pet has a gene that it did not reveal it can be passed down to the new pet. (for example, if you have a pet that MIGHT give "Spell Defy" but it didn't give it when you trained it, there is still a teeny tiny chance it can be passed down to the new pet. Although this is rare I feel it is worth mentioning since it's happened to me a couple of times :P

John RavenCatcher - lvl95
John StormWalker - lvl95
John DragonPyre - lvl52
John FrostShard - lvl45

"Bambi is my old name.
Now.. Now they call me Deer Knight."
WOW! I had no idea! Its sounds awesome, you must hatch a lot then...

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It should be noted that some pets are more rare than others. It's not really always a 50/50 chance of getting the other pet. There are also hybrid pets when mixing school pets of the same level. Those give a small chance at creating a unique hybrid pet that is totally different than it's parents.