Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dispel stacking

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I never posted this when it annoyed me, but Dispels should NEVER stack. It's not like a buff/debuff, it's a guarantee fail. We had school trained and treasure card fire dispels stacking during Helephant Tower. I understand how card stacking works, but for Dispelling, it should never stack. IMO, this needs to be fixed asap because it is not working properly.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
That would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it changing, as every spell in the game works that way - if you get it from different things, it stacks.

Best bet when planning a TotH run (or the like) is to make sure everyone uses the same dispel - all 2-pip TC or whatever. You can also time it so there is only one on at a time. I agree that it is a bit of a pain, but that can be overcome with planning.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
This isn't a bug, so it really doesn't belong in this forum. As for it needing fixing, no it doesn't. It works exactly as it's supposed to. It costs more than a single pip so it cannot be spammed continually anyways. Also if they weren't meant to be stackable, Gnomes! and Myth Imp wouldn't exist. Sorry but this just isn't an issue.

Historian
May 15, 2009
I think this is a bug in the helephant tower. during my fight with pendragon. both my friend and I used quench to stop him from casting fire dragon. (sometimes he cheat casts it twice in a row) both cards did not stack, but each went off when he popped the fire spell.

I think what may be happening is that the system is registering the spell card version and the treasure card as 2 different types of the same card and the stacking effect is happening because of it.

try using solely treasure card copies and see if that fixes the problem.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on Mar 16, 2014 wrote:
This isn't a bug, so it really doesn't belong in this forum. As for it needing fixing, no it doesn't. It works exactly as it's supposed to. It costs more than a single pip so it cannot be spammed continually anyways. Also if they weren't meant to be stackable, Gnomes! and Myth Imp wouldn't exist. Sorry but this just isn't an issue.
it doesn't work like it's supposed to. You should never need 2 dispels to stop one spell from happening. if this was almost any other situation, I wold agree with you, but dispels should NEVER stack. it's totally pointless and a waste of pips.

Under normal conditions of buffing/debuffing, treasure card and trained spells should stack, but in the case of dispel, where it doesnt effect the spell's power, just the actual success rate, it shouldn't stack. One dispel is a GUARANTEED fizzle. it doesnt GREATER fizzle if there's more than one dispel on does it? there is absolutely no benefit to it stacking like damage manipulation spells like blades/traps.

if dispel changed the accuracy (aka casting percentage) vs cancelling the spell all together, then that would be a MUCH different situation and stacking SHOULD occur, but this isn't the case. Dispel = 0% accuracy for next spell. Where is the benefit of 0% + 0%? There is none, and that's the issue.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
dayerider on Mar 18, 2014 wrote:
it doesn't work like it's supposed to. You should never need 2 dispels to stop one spell from happening. if this was almost any other situation, I wold agree with you, but dispels should NEVER stack. it's totally pointless and a waste of pips.

Under normal conditions of buffing/debuffing, treasure card and trained spells should stack, but in the case of dispel, where it doesnt effect the spell's power, just the actual success rate, it shouldn't stack. One dispel is a GUARANTEED fizzle. it doesnt GREATER fizzle if there's more than one dispel on does it? there is absolutely no benefit to it stacking like damage manipulation spells like blades/traps.

if dispel changed the accuracy (aka casting percentage) vs cancelling the spell all together, then that would be a MUCH different situation and stacking SHOULD occur, but this isn't the case. Dispel = 0% accuracy for next spell. Where is the benefit of 0% + 0%? There is none, and that's the issue.
No I agree with you. I misread your post when I replied. I was thinking it was another complaint about being able to stack multiple dispels on an opponent. Some people believe dispel should be like stun where you can't build up more onto an opponent. That's what I thought you meant, I appologize.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
seethe42 on Mar 18, 2014 wrote:
No I agree with you. I misread your post when I replied. I was thinking it was another complaint about being able to stack multiple dispels on an opponent. Some people believe dispel should be like stun where you can't build up more onto an opponent. That's what I thought you meant, I appologize.
no worries and nothing to apologize for :) I'm glad you took the time to reread and see the true meaning of my post.

Defender
Jan 02, 2011
dayerider on Mar 16, 2014 wrote:
I never posted this when it annoyed me, but Dispels should NEVER stack. It's not like a buff/debuff, it's a guarantee fail. We had school trained and treasure card fire dispels stacking during Helephant Tower. I understand how card stacking works, but for Dispelling, it should never stack. IMO, this needs to be fixed asap because it is not working properly.
While I agree that it is pointless for the cards to stack, I fail to see why KI should take any time to work on this.

There's an easy fix:

Don't cast a dispel on something if a dispel is already on it (and check what the other players are casting that round to make sure 2 don't cast a dispel at the same time).

That fix is free, takes none of the programmer's time away from more important issues, and solves the problem just as well.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
tanda1 on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:
While I agree that it is pointless for the cards to stack, I fail to see why KI should take any time to work on this.

There's an easy fix:

Don't cast a dispel on something if a dispel is already on it (and check what the other players are casting that round to make sure 2 don't cast a dispel at the same time).

That fix is free, takes none of the programmer's time away from more important issues, and solves the problem just as well.
They should work on it because your solution is just a band-aid and the problem still exists. It's a problem of game mechanics. Something isnt working properly and should be fixed; it really is that simple. Yes there are other issues more important, but that doesn't make this issue unimportant does it? The whole purpose of this is to bring to the programmers' attention that something isn't working right, nothing more.

As to your solution, when we run ToH, the only thing I personally use is the school trained dispels, but others try to help with TC. This actually makes ToH harder than it needs to be. Sure, the tower is supposed to be hard, but stacking dispels BEFORE they happen, because you get them when you get them, makes sense than waiting for one to be used before you replace it.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
tanda1 on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:

There's an easy fix:

You know, the exact same sentiment was leveled at me when I reported that prism spells were not working properly. In my opinion there is no "more important" programming issue than game mechanics. You cannot play without a consistent and properly functioning game system. While it isn't technically "broken" in the sense that it has ever worked that way, what he says makes sense. Besides, its probably a lot easier to fix than you would think because the cards should be able to simply be adjusted so that they don't use multiple versions of the dispel. That's a database tweak that may not even require a programmer.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Just did it tonight on Jabberwock so it's can't just be a bug with Helephant Tower

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
i agree with this. dispels are maybe the only thing in this game that it makes no sense to stack.