Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there any good secondary schools for Balance?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
When I was a lower-level (I still am a lower level compared to high levels) I relied on Balance and Death because Balance really didn't a have much going for it when you're a low level. Now that I have all the blades and traps as well as judgement, Death is total killjoy to me. I don't have enough time for 5 pips to cast weaker spells when I can use Judgement and just as well deal more damage.

As I looked through the forums, I have always heard the same combo:

Ice to Tower Shield, and Balance to Feint.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of ice because although Tower Shield is awesome, I still need a variety of spells, not just a generic shield and more weaker attacks.

However, I am contemplating life... but I need your opinion!!!

If anyone helped me in this dilemma, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Melissa Smith
Magus Sorcerer
Honorary Engineer

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
BalanceMythHarmony on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:
When I was a lower-level (I still am a lower level compared to high levels) I relied on Balance and Death because Balance really didn't a have much going for it when you're a low level. Now that I have all the blades and traps as well as judgement, Death is total killjoy to me. I don't have enough time for 5 pips to cast weaker spells when I can use Judgement and just as well deal more damage.

As I looked through the forums, I have always heard the same combo:

Ice to Tower Shield, and Balance to Feint.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of ice because although Tower Shield is awesome, I still need a variety of spells, not just a generic shield and more weaker attacks.

However, I am contemplating life... but I need your opinion!!!

If anyone helped me in this dilemma, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Melissa Smith
Magus Sorcerer
Honorary Engineer
I found this guide a help when I was shaping my Balance wizard.

http://wizard.mercenaries101.com/the-broken-mold-how-to-thrive-as-balance-in-the-new-paradigms/

Mary

Explorer
Nov 23, 2011
My Balance Wizard took Storm as her secondary school, and she has been a very effective character. Partially that was my choice because out of the seven schools, Storm was the only one where I didn't have a wizard from the school.

-Michael

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
Storm spells may seem nice when you first start out, but once you start getting a decent power pip percentage you'll find off school attack spells compare poorly with your native balance spells, because they count power pips as a single pip but your school spells count power pips as two.

Since off school attack spells aren't very useful, the best way to increase your offense is to learn off-school blades and traps that boost your school damage. As a balance wizard, there are no off-school blades that help you, but there is one very useful trap, feint. Death to feint should be your first training point goal.

Next you should look to defenses. Visit Sabrina Greenstar in the fairgrounds and train the death shield, train ice to volcano shield, visit Sabrina again to learn ice shield, then train ice spells until you get tower shields. This gives you 70% or 80% shields that cover all damage types except balance (dream shield from the death to feint track covers life and myth), and the 50% tower shield to cover balance. Note that early on you can use cheap bazaar amulets to get 85% shields for fire, ice, storm, and myth (not life and death); eventually though, you will want to free up your amulet slot for something else.

When you get to Celestia, the sun damage spells are a must. Train all five of them. These are even more important than feint. You cannot begin to be competitive without sun damage spells.

Later on, be sure to save training points for sharpened blade, potent trap, and at least one of chastisement or punishment. Other star school spells may be slightly useful but none of them are really game breaking to do without. Moon school polymorphs are pretty useless to balance, they are designed to let wizards use magic they don't ordinarily have access to, but balance is already so flexible you can already do nearly anything the polymorphs allow. The shadow school spells are probably all worth training but I haven't got that far yet.