Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"I have no reason to."

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I am walking through wizard city on my small myth wizard. As I cross the commons I am bombarded with friend requests. My Myth is level twelve, but he has a crown shop pet following him, so the requests are expected. I use my arrow keys to move, and my mouse to refuse each request. I leave the commons, and enter the shopping district. I wade through the district, then old town, and receive a few more friend requests. I happen to notice that one person is being persistent, and I note that they are level two, and refuse their request two more times. Then when I reach cyclops lane, I get a pm: "Why won't you accept my friend request?!?"
My reply: "I have no reason to."

I cannot fathom any legitimate reason for a level 2 to befriend a level 12 stranger. They would have no quests in common.

If they wanted companionship, while experiencing the game for the first time, they should ask wizards closer to their level.
The only other possibilities are:
They wanted me to tell them how to play.
They wanted me to carry them through quests.
They wanted to beg for crown items.

I told someone else about the encounter, and they thought I was rude!
I really find it very strange. The level two acting surprised at my repeated refusals, and my friend thinking that the level two deserved a full sentence, or two, of explanation.

A total stranger spammed friend requests at me, long after I had left their sight. Why would I be polite to them, when they didn't see fit to respect my decision the first two times?

I simply cannot understand how saying no is always rude unless you apologize for refusing; yet asking for something is never rude no matter how you ask, or how often you ask.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
It's actually natural to make friends based on advantages you mutually give one another. I don't think that's a bad thing. Some people become suspicious of those who won't just be friends right away--even though there can be good reason to refuse.

It seems like these people in commons only want to use you to their benefit without giving anything back. If you prefer something deeper than that, or something that benefits you more, simply turn all your friend requests off and only turn them back on when you meet someone who you really do like. You don't have to justify your reasons to anyone in the spiral if you don't want to friend Blaze BoomPants, Level 2.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Zebulous Newt on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:
I am walking through wizard city on my small myth wizard. As I cross the commons I am bombarded with friend requests. My Myth is level twelve, but he has a crown shop pet following him, so the requests are expected. I use my arrow keys to move, and my mouse to refuse each request. I leave the commons, and enter the shopping district. I wade through the district, then old town, and receive a few more friend requests. I happen to notice that one person is being persistent, and I note that they are level two, and refuse their request two more times. Then when I reach cyclops lane, I get a pm: "Why won't you accept my friend request?!?"

I cannot fathom any legitimate reason for a level 2 to befriend a level 12 stranger. They would have no quests in common.

If they wanted companionship, while experiencing the game for the first time, they should ask wizards closer to their level.

I really find it very strange. The level two acting surprised at my repeated refusals, and my friend thinking that the level two deserved a full sentence, or two, of explanation.

A total stranger spammed friend requests at me, long after I had left their sight. Why would I be polite to them, when they didn't see fit to respect my decision the first two times?

I simply cannot understand how saying no is always rude unless you apologize for refusing; yet asking for something is never rude no matter how you ask, or how often you ask.
I can answer this easily, "I cannot fathom any legitimate reason for a level 2 to befriend a level 12 stranger. They would have no quests in common" - they want your HELP.

While you list of possibilities is certainly true, not all little wizards are beggars... they just want help. I see nothing wrong with that.

I don't think refusing is rude, I do it all the time but please don't assume there is something wrong with kids trying to friend you... it is a multi-player game after all.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Save yourself the time of refusing them, turn off the requests in your settings. You can always turn it back on if you meet someone you actually want to friend. I keep mine off when going near the commons, bazaar or pavillion because I get bombarded with requests. Sorry all you lvl 10's, but lvl 95 wizards really have no reason to friend you.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
you did nothing wrong. that was not rude, just direct. i wouldn't worry too much about it.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Zebulous Newt on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:

While I don't think that you're in the wrong here, sometimes low levels do really want you to be their friend. I have several good low level friends and they've never asked me to gift them or power-level them. It's your choice as to who you add, but sometimes adding lower level players can be really fun for the both of you.

I, as a general rule, always accept requests unless what they've said in the chat log tells me that I shouldn't, however, it's a one-strike rule. I think that if they ask me to power-level them/gift them/be their girl they get removed instantly.

Again, while it is your choice, not all lower levels want someone to 'babysit' them or gift them. Sometimes they really do just want to become your friend.

Explorer
Jul 15, 2012
If you are really annoyed at friend requests, you can go to your options, go to privacy settings, and change your friend requests to none.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I get bombarded all the time, especially on my L74 - L95 wizards, by new or nearly new wizards. Unfortunately, my friend list just isn't big enough to accommodate everyone. I do have a great group of friends that I've known pretty much since starting this game.

On my higher level wizards, I don't add low levels because I just don't have the room. I do find that many of them want me to help power level, be their high-level girlfriend, or gift them.

I do a lot of pet hatching with random people, and sometimes I'll add them to my list for a short time until they get the pet and/or talents they need, but I do tell everyone that those who are not starred on my list may get the ax at some point. I do explain that this allows others who wish to hatch pets with me get a chance to be on my list for a while.

Explorer
Oct 26, 2012
I don't accept low levels ether no offense level 1s and 2s but I don't sorry. and I have added 1s 2s 3s 4s 5s 6s 7s on my level 50 only because they did not ask for anything! I do gift and power lvl and give tc but that's only if your really good friend, so tips turn off your friend request in the commons, bazaar, any house but your own, and the pet pavilion.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
I agree with original poster, it may be terse but it isn't rude. Not everyone is of the 'friend everyone' mentality and given the number of rude and spammy requests I get 90% of the time I get a blind friend requests, it is self-preserving to say no. However I do keep cleaning my list out and accepting new blind requests for the wonderful 10%. Not saying it is that skewed in reality, but my experience over the past year or so bears out such occurrences.