Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Superstitious gameplay

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
We need to get real. There is no added advantage in the game if you:
  • dance or clap before a PvP match; it does not make you go first
  • say "Good Boy" or "Good Girl" if your pet activates; it does not make the pet do it more often
  • feed your pet loved or liked snacks; it does not make them learn better talents
  • go first or second in the hatching window; hatches are still random
  • are in first, second, third, or fourth position; you still get random drops from bosses

What are some of the other superstitions you have seen?

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
I have heard players say that "0 pip spells don't matter" or "Do not cast a wand. It doesn't count for anything."

As far as XP, it does count. Here is some interesting information on how XP counts:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Experience

Read the "Important Notes" under "Experience from Dueling" on that link. Interesting info...

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
People say if you use TEXT CHAT to talk to your henchmen they listen. This isn't true

Explorer
Oct 19, 2012
For the liked or loved snacks, people do it because if the pet likes it, the snack gives 1 extra experience and 2 extra if the pet loved it.

Delver
Jun 17, 2011
Lucas Rain on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
We need to get real. There is no added advantage in the game if you:
  • dance or clap before a PvP match; it does not make you go first
  • say "Good Boy" or "Good Girl" if your pet activates; it does not make the pet do it more often
  • feed your pet loved or liked snacks; it does not make them learn better talents
  • go first or second in the hatching window; hatches are still random
  • are in first, second, third, or fourth position; you still get random drops from bosses

What are some of the other superstitions you have seen?
i for one like to say good girl or good boy when my pet heals thank you very much!
And for feeding them loved or liked snacks the thing about the talents i agree with, but it does make them get more xp and lvl up faster.

Explorer
Oct 26, 2012
i know right! this is very annoying and not true! one time, i was at my teacher ( ms. greyrose) to get my lvl 58 spell i got the quest and almost walked out when. this guy ( level 7 i think he was ) said hey to her. i said why yo talking to the teacher :O. he said they listen girl get a life! and then i said well eh oka?and he thought they listened to him! and talked back!

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
I believe that people should play their game any way they choose.... If it makes them happy and gives the game more meaning then let them be .... lets not ruin the game play for others just because you prefer not to ....

Thanks For Reading

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
"If you have a defeat and collect, check the map, and only fight where it indicates them."

May I say: LOLROFL!!! That's the biggest piece of misinformation ever!!!!!!!! I've collected "on my first battle when nowhere near the indicator, and other times I can fight 30+ near the indicator and wonder if there is such a thing as collecting. And: Yes, I fight the right enemies, otherwise the "did not collect" message wouldn't even appear.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
First of all, who cares if these behaviors really do anything? Sometimes, we play a game just to play! As Silver Mist said, if it makes someone happy, let them play however they want.

It is more fun to give pets Kudos and say "good boy" or "good girl." I talk to my Wizard pets all the time. It is just a way to play and have fun. Not everything has to be goal-oriented.

If folks think these things really impact how the computer game code works, well, it could be their loss or gain, depending on how you look at it. I mean, my youngest daughter still believes in Santa Claus too, and Christmas has an element of magic in it for her that I long ago lost. Which one of us really has it better? Hard to say.

On a more practical side though:

As others have said, liked and loved pet snacks are useful not for any magical impact on game code, but rather for the added XP they provide.

Dancing or clapping before a PVP match does not have any impact on the computer code for the match, true -- but it does sometimes psych out your opponent, tick them off, and thereby give you an edge. I happen not to like this behavior, and I don't do it. I think it is rude. But for those who try to win at any cost and who enjoy rudeness, it may in fact be a part of their game plan. They are playing you. (In fact, as I think about it, the last guy who did this to me did beat me. Hmm...)