Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Beguile Should Not Be Allowed In PvP

AuthorMessage
Delver
Oct 26, 2010
How is beguile, a 3 pip spell, fair in pvp?

In a tourney, my friends and I got beguiled 6 times by people who decided it was funny to make us attack our own players. I know you people are going to be like "it takes skill to know when to use it rofl rofl", yeah no.
Beguile is a cheating spell used by no skill players who decide to use a weak card to help them win. It gives first turn players a gigantic advantage in the game. This spell shouldn't be taken out of the game, just removed from pvp like insane bolt.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I disagree. Sounds like they were relying on this spell a bunch, so just use countermeasures and all will be fine. It isn't good to keep using a strategy that doesn't work--if they keep casting the same spell and getting the better of you, stop doing what you're doing and do something different. No need to ban a card, just modulate your gameplay.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
A Balanced Life on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:

In a tourney, my friends and I got beguiled 6 times by people who decided it was funny to make us attack our own players. I know you people are going to be like "it takes skill to know when to use it rofl rofl", yeah no.
Beguile is a cheating spell used by no skill players who decide to use a weak card to help them win. It gives first turn players a gigantic advantage in the game. This spell shouldn't be taken out of the game, just removed from pvp like insane bolt.
Insane bolt wasn't removed from pvp, only the treasure card was. If you have played against beguile players enough, you will know not to attack when they have enough pips for beguile, instead waiting until the next turn. You cannot be beguiled again, but you can still attack your opponents. It all comes down to predicting what your opponent will do. (I do agree that first turn against second turn makes it unfair, though) If beguile is removed from pvp, insane bolt should be as well. My balance level 50 has been OHKOed by critical insane bolts several times. There is no way to stop it, and it gets extremely annoying, especially since I have not seen insane bolt hit my opponent once.

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
You do realise it's main purpose IS to get the enemy to accidently attack their team OR to accidently heal/shield your team, That is the purpose and it is very fair, You have to know when to use it, and when to expect it, and it isn't a dependable cards, at the cost of 2 power pips or 3 regular pips the enemy could just blade themselves, or shields, or use a aura or use a shadow spell, then the next round they see what your team is going to do either way. So they get a peek at the cards for that round too. It is fair.

Historian
May 06, 2009
A Balanced Life on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:

I'm getting a little tired of PvP saying 100 hundred spells need to be removed from PvP. I mean look:

Someone spammed Smoke Screen!
Remove it from PvP!
Shadow Shrike is too overpowered!
Remove it from PvP!
Someone spammed Wild Bolt!
Remove it from PvP!
Someone spammed Treasure Cards!
Remove it from PvP!
Guardian Spirit is too overpowered!
Remove it from PvP!

Frankly, I'm finding all these cries about spamming spells much. I'm not directing this to you, A Balanced Life, but in general from what I've seen. It's coming to point where I think Heals, Traps, Blades, Globals, Shields, and Attacks can be the only spells we use in PvP. Otherwise, we must be gear-less, pet-less, TC-less, and called fowl players if we go outside those boundaries.

Beguile has been a spell in this game for years and this is the first time I've heard anyone say something like this about. Beguile is designed to get the caster help from the enemy. I've always thought most PvP'ers couldn't make use of Beguile because 1.) the number of rounds it lasts its irregular and 2.) you can't attack the beguiled opponent and could even help them by casting shields or blades on them. Beguile, however, isn't a spell for no-skilled players, spamming is a dumb strategy for players who want to use 1 spell 10 times over.

If Elicudate (-2 Pip Cost) could be trainable, I could spam rank 8 spells all day. I could spam Weakness all day. I could spam any spell all day. Spamming infuriates every PvP'er and is the strategy that makes every Wizard want a spell banned from PvP. I don't think players need to get it twisted that it's a certain spell that is spammed is the problem, just that spamming, in general, is frustrating.

I'm sorry that you got Beguiled over and over for 30 minutes in a Tourney, but I don't agree with PvP banning Beguile. It would just be like chaning Resuffle, taking a spell that had been in the game forever, and then changed to something less than efficient. Is not a cheating spell. It's done what it has for 5 years and I don't agree that now someone wants it changed after a spamming session.

Instead of a PvP-Ban that players keep flocking to, I would agree with a change that makes Beguile effected by Stun Block and Stuns. In PvE, bosses can Stun Immune Beguile. I think that Beguile should be countered with Stun Block and Stun Resistance as well as leave a Stun Block shield after it has been used like any other Stun spell. That way it is harder to spam it and it's effect still remains a use that can be an advantage for those who plan it well.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Well sir. I know you're not really going to like this but... it is a legitimate strategy. It's not one you like and granted I'd probably hate to have it used against me as well.. but it's a legitimate strategy and not cheating. Now before you get mad at me for saying it isn't cheating. Please hear me out. For me, cheating is actually using exploits within the game(most of which have been patched/nerfed) or using outside hacking devices, which is near impossible. Now you may argue this is an exploit, but I would say it isn't as an exploit is something people use to get around code to gain an advantage. Now people say so many things are cheating these days in pvp and beg for it to be nerfed/banned, like TC, certain spells(shadow shrike e.g.), and even pets. It's really people just figuring out that works. Not everyone is really going to be happy with this stuff but as they say: "It's all fair in love and war, and this isn't love"

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
I'm getting a little tired of PvP saying 100 hundred spells need to be removed from PvP. I mean look:

Remove it from PvP!
Remove it from PvP!
Remove it from PvP!
Remove it from PvP!
Remove it from PvP!

Frankly, I'm finding all these cries about spamming spells much. I'm not directing this to you, A Balanced Life, but in general from what I've seen. It's coming to point where I think Heals, Traps, Blades, Globals, Shields, and Attacks can be the only spells we use in PvP. Otherwise, we must be gear-less, pet-less, TC-less, and called fowl players if we go outside those boundaries.

Beguile has been a spell in this game for years and this is the first time I've heard anyone say something like this about. Beguile is designed to get the caster help from the enemy. I've always thought most PvP'ers couldn't make use of Beguile because 1.) the number of rounds it lasts its irregular and 2.) you can't attack the beguiled opponent and could even help them by casting shields or blades on them. Beguile, however, isn't a spell for no-skilled players, spamming is a dumb strategy for players who want to use 1 spell 10 times over.

If Elicudate (-2 Pip Cost) could be trainable, I could spam rank 8 spells all day. I could spam Weakness all day. I could spam any spell all day. Spamming infuriates every PvP'er and is the strategy that makes every Wizard want a spell banned from PvP. I don't think players need to get it twisted that it's a certain spell that is spammed is the problem, just that spamming, in general, is frustrating.

I'm sorry that you got Beguiled over and over for 30 minutes in a Tourney, but I don't agree with PvP banning Beguile. It would just be like chaning Resuffle, taking a spell that had been in the game forever, and then changed to something less than efficient. Is not a cheating spell. It's done what it has for 5 years and I don't agree that now someone wants it changed after a spamming session.

Instead of a PvP-Ban that players keep flocking to, I would agree with a change that makes Beguile effected by Stun Block and Stuns. In PvE, bosses can Stun Immune Beguile. I think that Beguile should be countered with Stun Block and Stun Resistance as well as leave a Stun Block shield after it has been used like any other Stun spell. That way it is harder to spam it and it's effect still remains a use that can be an advantage for those who plan it well.
I mostly agree with what you said, but I feel that some spells just weren't meant to be in pvp. Getting spammed by beguile and going second just isn't right lol. But, I agree with you on having resistance to beguile just as players and bosses have to stuns.

Explorer
Apr 01, 2012
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:

Remove it from PvP!
Remove it from PvP!
Remove it from PvP!
Remove it from PvP!
Remove it from PvP!

Well said! Very good job and thank you for saying this, I totally agree!

Luke NightTalon lvl fifty eight

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
You can literally skip reading most of this thread. If you read both Aaron and Miguel's posts you'll clearly see how beguile is fair and how it does not need altered. Death already is lacking in team function enough don't take one of its few tricks left. Completely agree with Aaron and Miguel.