Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Most Powerful School!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 09, 2013
Many times, wizards will debate about which school is the most powerful. Some say storm, because it does the most damage. I am now going to list certain facts about school- to determine which is overall the best all around or the most powerful school. I will use the following facts about each school: the highest amount of damage that their one pip spell can do (for fire cat it would be 120), the normal accuracy for that school, and the base amount of health that the level one wizard from that school starts out with (I will be getting the health amount from a wizard101 wiki page). Here are the facts:

Highest damage 105 105 105 120 110 105 145
for 1 pip spell

Accuracy 85% 80% 85% 75% 80% 90% 70%

Health 480 500 450 415 425 460 400

The way I will calculate the most powerful school is by adding up all of these amounts. Whichever school has the most "points," that school will be the best all rounder school or some people might say the most powerful school.

And the winner is... (drumroll please)

Ice

Here are the standings:

1. Ice- 685 points
2. Balance-670 points
3. Life-655 points
4. Death-640 points
5. Myth/Storm-615 points
6. Fire-610 points

There you have it wizards!

Amber SpiritShade Magus Pyromancer

Survivor
Aug 10, 2010
I know you probably spent a wee bit of time doing this, but I believe that it is all based on opinion. Each school has strengths and weaknesses, thus making them "equal" to some extent. Whatever you're best at doing, thats your preferred school. I prefer Fire. I pile up the DOTs, and they die extremely quick. Storm has low health and can take out enemies before they have dangerously low health. Ice has high health combined with weak attacks to provide a "Tank" type thing. Balance works best in group play, Life can take some hits and is an all-around healer, Death has decent attacks and can steal health, Myth can summon in minions for solo play. It all depends on what you can do. If you can stand fizzling then Storm is probably best. Also, supposed "point" system isnt the SOLE decider on what is the best school

Sorry if it seems like i told you off, I did not mean to. You stick to your principles.

-Grace Goldenleaf Master Pyromancer. Cave of solitude in Mooshu.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2013
I totally agree! That's how I think of schools as well, that they all have pros and cons. I mainly did this almost as an experiment. I would think that if I added up all of these numbers, that each school would have the same amount! Then, I would be able to prove that there actually is NO most powerful school, and that they're all equal if you take the facts. Turns out, they all added up to different amounts, yet I still felt the need post it. To sum it up, I one hundred percent agree with you, all schools are equal. My point was too prove that, yet I ended up doing the opposite!

Survivor
Aug 15, 2010
Exactly! Every body says its storm or fire. Ice is better for health. Ice has high resistance, attack and pips stats. The spells include diferent kinds of shield spells, stuns, taunts, damage over rounds, stun blocks and stronger shields per pips. All storm has is sheild and blade breaking and that doesn't always work. WOO HOO THANK YA!

Survivor
Oct 27, 2013
I am a level 49 balance wizard, and I hate it. you learn to many pointless spells that I never use, and not enough attacking spells. I really wish you could change the school of your wizard, but I'm lredy this far and have had a membership for a while.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
sball321 on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
I totally agree! That's how I think of schools as well, that they all have pros and cons. I mainly did this almost as an experiment. I would think that if I added up all of these numbers, that each school would have the same amount! Then, I would be able to prove that there actually is NO most powerful school, and that they're all equal if you take the facts. Turns out, they all added up to different amounts, yet I still felt the need post it. To sum it up, I one hundred percent agree with you, all schools are equal. My point was too prove that, yet I ended up doing the opposite!

It really didn't prove anything, the stats you chose are arbitrary and not absolute. For instance you included health but didn't include many others. Ice has much lower critical than fire and storm for example. To really compare schools better you should have every school wearing the same gear for it's school at the same level. A better comparison would be each school with waterworks gear, but even so you are adding numbers with different value. You cannot just add them up. Saying that 500 health + 80% accuracy should = 580 is just silly. By your "comparison" storm is underpowered and should really do 215 per pip to be "equal" to ice. The numbers chosen are just to arbitrary to make a fair comparison.

Explorer
Feb 16, 2011
I'm glad Life made it up there. Ice is good at the start but then they even out over time. My brother is over leveled (53 in Dragonspyre) and still has hard times. I am Life and am almost done with Azteca in Twin Giants and I can solo most bosses and mobs.

Proud Life wizard Robert DragonBreath

Survivor
Oct 17, 2009
Elizaeth Goldstrid... on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
I am a level 49 balance wizard, and I hate it. you learn to many pointless spells that I never use, and not enough attacking spells. I really wish you could change the school of your wizard, but I'm lredy this far and have had a membership for a while.
I am a wizard all the way I think you get bored with other wizards if you did one for a very long time you get used to the one wizard well this is for me i don't know about you guys so for me is the most powerful.

By the way i think balance is quite a fun school for a while.

Quinn EmeraldWielder LVL 78

Defender
Dec 27, 2011
sball321 on Jan 2, 2014 wrote:
Many times, wizards will debate about which school is the most powerful. Some say storm, because it does the most damage. I am now going to list certain facts about school- to determine which is overall the best all around or the most powerful school. I will use the following facts about each school: the highest amount of damage that their one pip spell can do (for fire cat it would be 120), the normal accuracy for that school, and the base amount of health that the level one wizard from that school starts out with (I will be getting the health amount from a wizard101 wiki page). Here are the facts:

for 1 pip spell

The way I will calculate the most powerful school is by adding up all of these amounts. Whichever school has the most "points," that school will be the best all rounder school or some people might say the most powerful school.

Ice

Here are the standings:

1. Ice- 685 points
2. Balance-670 points
3. Life-655 points
4. Death-640 points
5. Myth/Storm-615 points
6. Fire-610 points

You are saying fire is the worst school! I do not think so. Fire is the second worst for damage and accuracy but it's also the second best for damage. Fire also does not have a lack of multi-target spells and has a good number of over time attacks and regular attacks.

Antonio Sandshade, Level 50 Grandmaster Pyromancer

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
sball321 on Jan 2, 2014 wrote:

for 1 pip spell

Ice

Here are the standings:

1. Ice- 685 points
2. Balance-670 points
3. Life-655 points
4. Death-640 points
5. Myth/Storm-615 points
6. Fire-610 points

I don't think it's accurate, there are all manner of power and strategic spells, damage boosts, too many things to consider to really say any school is the best.

Explorer
Jun 12, 2011
I won't lie to you. Balance requires a specific personality to play well and is difficult to play until around level 60 or so. I don't have the patience for it and considered deleting my own wizard many times, but I've learned to make do with what I have.

If you want to meet a balance wizard who can defeat anything she wants in one hit, I will gladly introduce you to Shadowsong, my level 95 sorceress. She is a machine, and most people die a little inside when they see her stats.

I have been a member for 3 years and, because she's my first wizard, I have put a lot of time and effort into making her as awesome as she is. With enough perseverance, you'll one day get there, too.

-von/Shadowsong,

Explorer
Nov 11, 2012
yea Its all on opinion...Ice yes it has good gear, health, resist, stats and all that but Ice doesnt do much damage I have seen some great ice wiz w/blades, feint, and boost, but in general Ice doesnt hit high a lot of people say ice is good cause of the good stats..but it doesnt do any high damage. Storm does high damage but low health and low resist...Death is good all around I am death student..I have 5,010 health maybe a bit more with gear...i have 51% death resist, 50% life and myth resist and 44% storm, fire and ice resist...Life Is good depending on the person and how they can handle themselves...balance I think is good balance is more helpful I think but with a lot of practice and planning I think balance can be a powerful school esp with extra blades and you cant shield from balance. Its all opinion but I think everyone should be over Ice by now Ice is not the only best school out there...good health and nice looking gear is not everything. You can have high health and still get knocked down by another school

Explorer
May 21, 2012
lol balance is nothing close to pointless they have some of the best spells and if u continue and still dont like it and wish for something a litle easier try life

Talon TaleTail 61 Talon Moontail 75

Survivor
Oct 04, 2009
This is my take on the schools.

Balance has lots of shields and blades, which are both helpful, but when they fight balance enemies, they can't use a lot of their spells.

Ice has lots and lots of health, but they can't do what the other schools do when it comes to damage.

Death has an advantage of attacking and healing at the same time, they don't need to worry about how many pips they have after either attacking or healing because they did them both.

Fire doesn't have great health, but they can attack over rounds to all enemies, which means they are great when it comes to enemies that shield a lot.

Myth has lots of minions, which means they can solo more places than other schools can, they have minions instead of friends helping them.

Life is the one of the best schools for health and healing, and they can do a lot of damage if they try hard enough.

Storm has the best damage overall, if you look at storm owl, which has the highest amount of damage of any spell in the game, they can usually kill the enemies before they kill storm wizards. but the times that they can't do it, they are getting killed fast.

The most powerful school is just an opinion, and most people say that their school is the most powerful. Any school can be the most powerful.

Samuel Lifebringer Level 92
Artur Hawkleaf Level 44
Ethan Fireblood Level 33

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
There is no such thing as a best school, but each school is unique and has a certain fighting style to them. What school you like best has to do with the theme of the school and how you fight.

I like Myth the best because you don't have to worry about those pesky shields as much, Myth has mostly offensive spells, and because i LOVE mythology. And the stuns are pretty boss.

~Angelcatdemondog, or you might know me in the game as Fallon Mythstrider

Survivor
Nov 17, 2011
What annoys me the most is when people actually insult me because of my school. What is wrong with balance? Every single school has beaten another school at least once. Sure, some schools have better spells than others, but in the next update it always changes. No school is better than another, yes. They have benefits and disbenefits. (Not sure if that's a word o-o). Storm, damage. Ice, resist. Life, heals. Death, drains. Myth, minions. Fire, DoTs. Balance, mix of everything. It's pretty simple :/

Survivor
Jul 09, 2012
If there were no Life Mastery amulet, treasure cards or plentiful training points to learn out-of-school spells then a case could be made that there was no "Most Powerful School"...but since there are those things its fairly easy to point to either Ice or Storm as being the most powerful. Even without any mastery amulets, etc, it would be easy to make that same case.

An easily obtainable piece of gear (Life mastery) that bypasses inherent class weakness coupled with development tendency to add extra value into Ice and Storm gear coupled with ease of learning and casting out-of-school spells makes either of those classes an easy choice for most powerful.

Are they the Most Fun Schools? That's a more important question and can only be determined by the individual player. Any school can obtain end level and/or PvP success...but some can do it easier due to the nature of gameplay and gameplay mechanics/development decisions.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2013
Destiny SkyShade on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
What annoys me the most is when people actually insult me because of my school. What is wrong with balance? Every single school has beaten another school at least once. Sure, some schools have better spells than others, but in the next update it always changes. No school is better than another, yes. They have benefits and disbenefits. (Not sure if that's a word o-o). Storm, damage. Ice, resist. Life, heals. Death, drains. Myth, minions. Fire, DoTs. Balance, mix of everything. It's pretty simple :/
Thank You! Thank you for saying that! I totally agree! I love balance and sometimes get a little frustrated with it, but still love it!

Cheyenne Caster Level 30 Magus Sorcerer