Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dragon Differences

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 17, 2010
Okay, so for those of you who have made it to Dragonspyre and Avalon, you know that they both present two different types of dragons. For those of you who haven't, well, now you know. There are a few differences, such as their naming. The dragons from Dragonspyre are often referred to as Drakes, whereas those from Avalon are simply referred to as Dragons. I think we can all agree that both species of dragon descended from the Dragon Titans, but why are they so different? What gives the Dragonspyre dragons a sharper and fiercer look but the Avalon dragons a smooth and graceful look? This may seem a dumb question, but I'm legitimately curious about the story of these dragons throughout the Spiral. Comment ideas, questions, and/or answers below!

Joseph Dragontamer
Archmage Thaumaturge

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph Dragontamer on Nov 23, 2013 wrote:
Okay, so for those of you who have made it to Dragonspyre and Avalon, you know that they both present two different types of dragons. For those of you who haven't, well, now you know. There are a few differences, such as their naming. The dragons from Dragonspyre are often referred to as Drakes, whereas those from Avalon are simply referred to as Dragons. I think we can all agree that both species of dragon descended from the Dragon Titans, but why are they so different? What gives the Dragonspyre dragons a sharper and fiercer look but the Avalon dragons a smooth and graceful look? This may seem a dumb question, but I'm legitimately curious about the story of these dragons throughout the Spiral. Comment ideas, questions, and/or answers below!

Joseph Dragontamer
Archmage Thaumaturge
Well, first of all, the "Dragons" of Avalon are not plan out called "Dragons", they are called Wyrms or Lizards (but mainly Wyrms) (Winter Wyrm, Lightning Lizard or Three Colored Lizard [I forgot what its called, I've not been in Avalon for a long time]). As for your question, the fire spell "Dragon" looks like the Drakes of Dragonspyre, so I think Drakes are more closely related to Dragons, and Wyrms are more unrelated. Maybe because they use other magic, changing them like magic changed the Manders of Krokotopia.

-Nicholas Hawkspear level 95

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
Honestly, I don't have an answer for you, and at this point in the game, I doubt there is an answer. But I think there is a point to be made here.

Of course, according to evolution, and considering that Avalon and DragonSpyre are probably just as old, then of course they would have different dragons.

The style of dragons seem to kind of sort the world they're in. Like Avalon is more of world of rolling hills and trees, whereas DragonSpyre seems to have a harsher climate and mountains and cliffs. The Avalonian dragons seem softer; the DragonSpyre ones seem harder. Also, the culture in DragonSpyre seems to be more based off dragons, especially considering that most of the buildings have some kind of tooth or claw thing on them, while in Avalon, I hardly even noticed that there were dragons. Interestingly, there are also some more human-like dragons in DragonSpyre, the draconians. We don't get to see much of the Dragon Titan in DragonSpyre, but he seems to have the body of an Avalon dragon, and the head of a DragonSpyre drake.

Sorry for the non-answer,
Haley MoonHeart, Promethean Thaumagture

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Joseph Dragontamer on Nov 23, 2013 wrote:

Joseph Dragontamer
Archmage Thaumaturge
They are from two very different worlds, and have gone through very different experiences.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
the dragons in Avalon are more knightly than the ones in dragonspyre plus they are mostly called wyrms.

Survivor
Jul 02, 2013
Well the ones in dragonspyre are drakes and the ones in avalon are wyrms so here is my theory i believe that the final boss of avalon=pendragon may be the mother of the wyrms cause if i am right there was a outbreak when you got there and that was when the pendragon came around or whatever so i'm thinking that the reason was because the pendragon hatched and the wyrms are growing at faster rates and the regular dragons in ds are growing yearly perhaps so i think thats the difference either that or they were affected by some kinda hybrid incident

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
I think it is the mood of the climates that decide the dragon features. Dragonspyre had a post- armageddon mood to it, where Avalon has more of a mystical, Medieval feel to it, therefore the dragons reflect on that environment. Dragonspyre dragons are gnarled and war-bitten, Avalon dragons are elegant.

~AngelcatDemondog