Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

When someone joins my battle......

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
Ok guys lately i have had loads of friends helping me lately and i have noticed that nearly all the time some low lvl who's friend with the person i am helping joins and it so annoying!(and somtimes he is) he then uses up all my traps and feints!
And then he starts calling me rude names for saying *why did you use up my traps?*
It's really annoying when that happens!
I mostly never let them live if they join as they will use up everything i have.
Has anyone else had the same problem?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Theforsakenwizard on Nov 2, 2013 wrote:
Ok guys lately i have had loads of friends helping me lately and i have noticed that nearly all the time some low lvl who's friend with the person i am helping joins and it so annoying!(and somtimes he is) he then uses up all my traps and feints!
And then he starts calling me rude names for saying *why did you use up my traps?*
I mostly never let them live if they join as they will use up everything i have.
Either your friend needs to turn his ports off, or you need new friends.

I once had a level 27 "friend" who used me as his personal teleport pad, which is what it sounds like this kid is doing to your friend. It got so bad that I deleted him.

You are under no obligation to sustain some random circle-jumper. If that person is underleveled/rude/some combination of the above, he has no place being there anyway~ just because your friend is okay with random low-levels joining her doesn't mean that you have to be.

Ask your friend to turn off her ports while she is helping you. If she refuses, then you need to find some new friends.

/my 2 cents,
-von

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
This isn't a new issue unfortunately, battle etiquette as mentioned in previous posts seems to have fallen out of style.

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
Theforsakenwizard on Nov 2, 2013 wrote:
They are the rude and selfish ones, never fear. It is totally rude to use someone's traps without asking. There are times that I put extra stuff out there for anyone to use and I always announce that they are there for them to use. I always announce when I put out a feint too and ask nicely that no one use a wand on it or a tiny spell. It is sad that we have to even state this as it is a common courtesy to respect others things. I wish there was a way to kick someone out of my fight when they do this and the game would not let them rejoin. I have on many occasions just fled and restarted in another realm before I will allow someone to leech off of me in such a rude manner. I know it is time wasted but I just will not encourage inappropriate behavior. In the same note I will very much help someone who is playing correctly and I can be very understanding if someone gets yanked into my fight. It happens and I understand. But rude players, nope I don't put up with it. After a mild correction to see if they have not done it without thinking as I was guilty of doing this when I was a new player, I just didn't know or I wasn't paying attention. I learned my lesson well and I try to pass it on. If they do not want to learn or are being mean about it, then I am outta there.

Defender
Aug 08, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
They are the rude and selfish ones, never fear. It is totally rude to use someone's traps without asking. There are times that I put extra stuff out there for anyone to use and I always announce that they are there for them to use. I always announce when I put out a feint too and ask nicely that no one use a wand on it or a tiny spell. It is sad that we have to even state this as it is a common courtesy to respect others things. I wish there was a way to kick someone out of my fight when they do this and the game would not let them rejoin. I have on many occasions just fled and restarted in another realm before I will allow someone to leech off of me in such a rude manner. I know it is time wasted but I just will not encourage inappropriate behavior. In the same note I will very much help someone who is playing correctly and I can be very understanding if someone gets yanked into my fight. It happens and I understand. But rude players, nope I don't put up with it. After a mild correction to see if they have not done it without thinking as I was guilty of doing this when I was a new player, I just didn't know or I wasn't paying attention. I learned my lesson well and I try to pass it on. If they do not want to learn or are being mean about it, then I am outta there.
What if he has menu chat.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
I don't have that type of problem with battle, but in general I do have a problem with the fact that they can just join. When you're battling an enemy, just about to finish him, one more person joins and then another enemy joins. That's what annoys me. There should be an option, if you are the first person in the battle, to accept or decline them from entering. It could say "Cody LifeSong (example) would like to join this battle." Accept DeclineThis would make it very easy, but I doubt they will add it in.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
Puppylove1021 on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
What if he has menu chat.
There's stuff in the chat menu for it too. :P

Defender
Apr 07, 2012
Delver
Apr 21, 2012
coolguy2170 on Nov 12, 2013 wrote:
Report ignore flee
I'm afraid this isn't a reportable offense.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Report ignore flee
Looks like you need a refresher course on what is reportable.

As much as I hate random circle jumpers messing up my strategy, joining a battle uninvited is not a reportable offense. If you continue to report people for this reason, it could result in sanctions against your account (including a loss of report privileges).

Recommended reading: https://www.wizard101.com/forum/headmasters-announcements/i-got-reported-28843

-von

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
Report ignore flee
Unfortunately battle etiquette breeches are not a report-able offense. You would be guilty of turning in a false report. The ignore and flee part work just fine.

Defender
Apr 07, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Nov 13, 2013 wrote:
Unfortunately battle etiquette breeches are not a report-able offense. You would be guilty of turning in a false report. The ignore and flee part work just fine.
I think your right

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Plantini on Nov 6, 2013 wrote:
I don't have that type of problem with battle, but in general I do have a problem with the fact that they can just join. When you're battling an enemy, just about to finish him, one more person joins and then another enemy joins. That's what annoys me. There should be an option, if you are the first person in the battle, to accept or decline them from entering. It could say "Cody LifeSong (example) would like to join this battle." Accept DeclineThis would make it very easy, but I doubt they will add it in.
What I find amazing is that there so many rude people out there who think they own the battle ring just because they were the first ones in it. The original player's guide encouraged wizards to join other battles so as to help them out (and thus help themselves). It remains one of the most endearing aspect of this game that the very structure of the game encourages players to help each other.

This sentiment that first one in the battle is somehow entitled to bully others is insane and has endured so long that some people are misguided into believing that this rudeness is somehow classified as ettiquette[/].

That said, I do, naturally, try to assess the battle to see if it looks like the team is about ready to issue the kill for a enemies, because it is a little frustrating to be lined up for the final shot and suddenly there's an extra enemy. That's only polite to try to not inconvenience others.

Kids, of course, who are arguably the primary target audience in some ways, will often lack the experience and grace to be so circumspect. If you're going to play a game where kids are welcome, accepting kid-like behavior comes with the territory.

If you're not mature enough to handle that, maybe you should find a game that suits your maturity level.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
In Zafaria a few months back, I had these three wizards constantly jumping into my fights, as soon as they saw my Scarecrow go off.

I think they thought they were getting the killl for defeat and collect, but because I solo with a short deck, it makes me have to sit through them trying to kill off the newly entered enemies.

I get a little frustrated when people jump into my fights, but I do realize that it's a part of the game.

I get furious when people jump in trying to collect on my hard work, after the killing spell is cast, causing me to sit through an additional 20 minutes of them fumbling because they didn't set their decks for a fight, just for a steal...

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Stephen EarthMende... on Nov 20, 2013 wrote:
What I find amazing is that there so many rude people out there who think they own the battle ring just because they were the first ones in it. The original player's guide encouraged wizards to join other battles so as to help them out (and thus help themselves). It remains one of the most endearing aspect of this game that the very structure of the game encourages players to help each other.

This sentiment that first one in the battle is somehow entitled to bully others is insane and has endured so long that some people are misguided into believing that this rudeness is somehow classified as ettiquette[/].

That said, I do, naturally, try to assess the battle to see if it looks like the team is about ready to issue the kill for a enemies, because it is a little frustrating to be lined up for the final shot and suddenly there's an extra enemy. That's only polite to try to not inconvenience others.

Kids, of course, who are arguably the primary target audience in some ways, will often lack the experience and grace to be so circumspect. If you're going to play a game where kids are welcome, accepting kid-like behavior comes with the territory.

If you're not mature enough to handle that, maybe you should find a game that suits your maturity level.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm
i expect that a lot of people will likely think i'm a cold/selfish/heartless person for saying this, but at least it's honest.

i don't have kids. but i do help them in-game and have enough children in my real life (young nieces/nephews and friends' kids) to know how they innately behave. yes, certain behaviour is to be expected, but children don't know what's right or socially-acceptable unless they are corrected by their parents or adult role models.

it doesn't matter whether you are 8 or 80: if you are old enough to play the game, you are old enough to know that rudeness is unacceptable. if you trip someone unintentionally, you apologize to her. and, if you forget to bring lunch to work or school, you don't help yourself to your friend's meal: you ask nicely if she would mind sharing with you.

the same applies here: you don't know if that other person is down to her last 2 health, having a bad day, pressed for time, etc. my issue is not with random people joining me. as long as said person is respectful and/or can sustain herself, that's totally fine by me. my problem is with random people who join the battle obviously underleveled/unprepared and expect me to carry them, or who start demanding things from me. i don't give handouts to people who show such a flagrant lack of respect for me and my time, nor should i be expected to.

if the person in first has done most of the work, then that person calls the shots. if i accidentally get pulled into someone's fight, i will apologize and do everything in my power to help that person; it's her battle, and she probably had a strategy in place. and i certainly do not expect that person to sustain me: it's rude. i inconvenienced her, not the other way around.

back when i was a little wizard, i was questing in avalon when some random person joined my fight and, upon noticing that i was about to blade myself, said 'give me that blade'. no greeting, no apology~ just 'give me that'. i told him no, and i stuck to it. i owe people like that absolutely nothing.

it's amazing how common courtesy has fallen by the wayside in the virtual world, how easy it is to forget that there is a person behind the pixels. a little bit of consideration for others never killed anyone.

-v.

95 and
42 and

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Stephen EarthMende... on Nov 20, 2013 wrote:

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm
Your post is actually correct. When I joined the game kids were the primary target to play it - I had many kids, text and menu chat on my list and we ported to and from each other like it was a given. We had fun conversing and helping with each others battles, those were the good ole days.

Enter Celestia - competitiveness and obnoxiousness were now the given, more players poured into the game. Sitting in the Commons was not longer a good idea. Porting to any one questing in Celestia if you weren't their level was a crime. More wizards took advantage of you for personal gain, building a good friends list became more difficult.

I had mainly soloed my quests all a long and most of my friends list did become empty by then but on occasion the kids did port to me in Celestia, I adjusted to it fine. In fact I remember fighting the 3 ice sharks in Empire and my little lvl 42 friend joined me and her little meteor shower made the difference in me finally completing that quest, I was in there for the 3rd try.

To this day I do friend menu chat and children who tell me about their school day etc.. Some are serious about the game some are just playing the game, I wish I was still the latter.

Mary