Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Smoke screen exploit with the pvp arena.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 13, 2009
So, I was just in a pvp match, and I have never seen this "strategy" before. I now see that a team of 3 fires, and a storm. 3 fire wizards spammed smoke screen, both the original card, and treasures. Our team could NOT get a spell off barely at all, if this continues I think that we are going to see this "strategy" more and more, and it is very frustrating with spamming smoke screens, I think there should be a limit on smoke screens, no treasure smoke screens, and a max on at 2 at a time, normal ones. No treasures. I can't seem to wrap my head around this pvp match as I am very aggravated at the moment and it is very frustrating. What are you're thoughts?

Taylor Winterhammer Level 80 Thaumaturge

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
unfortunately, it's a legitimate strategy. smokescreen is a spell gained early on for fire wizards to help them buy time. i've never seen usage of it like that though and if i had the ability, i'd be spamming it as well in the arena.. just because someone uses it well is no reason for it to be nerfed or restricted in the arena.. especially a card as low level as smoke screen

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
I agree. I don't like this strategy - Only logical solution I can think of is that they won't stack. But something does need to be done about this.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Rony The Turtle on Oct 22, 2013 wrote:
I agree. I don't like this strategy - Only logical solution I can think of is that they won't stack. But something does need to be done about this.
Keep in mind that there are varying strategies in PVP. Yeah the spells don't stack but there are a couple reasons I say this shouldn't be changed, nor does it need to be.

1. The OP admits this was the first he's ever seen someone do this strategy. This means it's a really rare strategy at this point.
2. Smoke screen is a 1pip spell so no matter what, the wizard casting the smokescreens wastes turns putting them up and doesn't get anything in return other than a small ceasefire, while this might be a pain with 3 wizards doing it and one not.. There still is a disadvantage in return for the spell.
3. Smoke screen has been up for a while now without any nerfing or restricting. I don't think KI is gonna restrict it this far into it's existence(Opinion based).

While it's an unfair strategy to some.. If you compare it to what a ton of other people complain about PVP(TC, spammers, puppets), I'd say it's a minor annoyance.

Survivor
Apr 01, 2009
"Chain" smoking does not work well against infallible auras, infallible TCs, cleanse charm spells/TCs, trigger happy pets, or high accuracy gear/schools. There's a decent set of counters to this problem.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Joshua Starflame on Oct 22, 2013 wrote:
Keep in mind that there are varying strategies in PVP. Yeah the spells don't stack but there are a couple reasons I say this shouldn't be changed, nor does it need to be.

1. The OP admits this was the first he's ever seen someone do this strategy. This means it's a really rare strategy at this point.
2. Smoke screen is a 1pip spell so no matter what, the wizard casting the smokescreens wastes turns putting them up and doesn't get anything in return other than a small ceasefire, while this might be a pain with 3 wizards doing it and one not.. There still is a disadvantage in return for the spell.
3. Smoke screen has been up for a while now without any nerfing or restricting. I don't think KI is gonna restrict it this far into it's existence(Opinion based).

While it's an unfair strategy to some.. If you compare it to what a ton of other people complain about PVP(TC, spammers, puppets), I'd say it's a minor annoyance.
1. I've seen it a few times.
2. Two cast it, the other 2 get the ready to one shot...
3. Using that logic, then Wildbolt never would have been changed. Nor Chain Stunning.

Are you serious though?! You have a problem with TC and spammers but this is perfectly fine?! This is worse than spamming IMO. At least against spammers you have a chance.

@DerHundErste
That doesn't work, because -85% accuracy, that means 35% max with TC. Cleanse charming a smokescreen..? You have a -85% on yourself already. High accuracy gear means you sacrifice precious stats. None of the counters you suggested work. Trigger happy pets are luck based, and don't happen often if only 4 casts per turn, vs 8.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Rony The Turtle on Oct 25, 2013 wrote:
1. I've seen it a few times.
2. Two cast it, the other 2 get the ready to one shot...
3. Using that logic, then Wildbolt never would have been changed. Nor Chain Stunning.

Are you serious though?! You have a problem with TC and spammers but this is perfectly fine?! This is worse than spamming IMO. At least against spammers you have a chance.

@DerHundErste
That doesn't work, because -85% accuracy, that means 35% max with TC. Cleanse charming a smokescreen..? You have a -85% on yourself already. High accuracy gear means you sacrifice precious stats. None of the counters you suggested work. Trigger happy pets are luck based, and don't happen often if only 4 casts per turn, vs 8.
I never said i had a problem with spammers or TC users. I'm saying that people usually have a problem with those 2 groups. Those 2 methods you mentioned i've not heard of before but that's because I don't pvp often. However, you cannot expect KI to change something merely because of a small number of complaints. However I am guessing that both Wildbolt and Chain stunning got a ton of complaints and that resulted in the change.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
That may have been me and my brothers that you went up against (three fire and a storm). Our strategy was to take turns spamming one normal smoke screen and a treasure smoke screen every turn while the other two would blade or attack using their pips. We don't do it anymore however because it didn't always work in our favor. First of all two of us every turn would have to waste a pip and a turn in order to do it. And second if the other team had pets that cast then the whole strategy would fall apart and we would be two turns and two pips down ever turn compared to the opponent. All that you need is some pets that have some may cast talents and you will take us down easy.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Joshua Starflame on Oct 25, 2013 wrote:
I never said i had a problem with spammers or TC users. I'm saying that people usually have a problem with those 2 groups. Those 2 methods you mentioned i've not heard of before but that's because I don't pvp often. However, you cannot expect KI to change something merely because of a small number of complaints. However I am guessing that both Wildbolt and Chain stunning got a ton of complaints and that resulted in the change.
Well it came off that way... Then that means those people have a problem with both those groups.

The reason no one complains is because most people don't do high level 4v4. And no one complained about wildbolt or chain stunning except for a few, especially wildbolt. [Almost] No one had a problem with wildbolt since anyone could use it.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Rony The Turtle on Nov 3, 2013 wrote:
Well it came off that way... Then that means those people have a problem with both those groups.

The reason no one complains is because most people don't do high level 4v4. And no one complained about wildbolt or chain stunning except for a few, especially wildbolt. [Almost] No one had a problem with wildbolt since anyone could use it.
Apologies, I had no intention of what I said appearing that way. In any case, given that KI would've looked into those due to a few people complaining, I think chances are more than likely that they looked into this as well already and either decided not nerf/restrict it or have not made a decision regarding it yet.. I hope they decide to not nerf it as, one person has put already, it has the possibility of backfiring immensely due to using a pip each time you decide to cast it and pets can get rid of the smoke screen debuffs.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
The point of pvp teams is to work as a team. This is a perfectly valid strategy. Personally I think it would better with 2 fire, 1 balance and 1 storm. Fire can spam smoke screen to make them fizzle, balance can blade, trap and heal if needed and storm can just save pips for the kill all hit. If you were part of a team that used this type of strategy against PvE multiple boss battles I highly doubt you'd be on the complaining side. Good teamwork is a very big part of team vs team play.

Defender
Mar 08, 2013
The smoke screen strategy isn't very different than all the other spam strategies.
smoke screen (2 or 3 fire and an attacking person)
legion shield (2 or 3 ice and an attacking person)
insane bolt (3 storm and a life)
unicorn (or any type of heal spam)
earthquake (less of a spam, but equally annoying as effective)
virulent plague (hate this one the most)
can't think of any from balance

Survivor
Apr 27, 2009
Worse and worse strategies are made, people who HAVE to win every time, will use it, no other way for them to win it seems if they have to do that. 1st age was actual skill pvp, then glendemming armor came and these "strategies".

12 Warlord

Explorer
Aug 15, 2012
I am not trying to be rude or nothing, but imo its just a game. People started getting hyped up over petty stuff, "Puppeting" I mean I play pvp with a friend a he is lower level, we pvp to enjoy the game not exploiting the system. sorry got off topic, ok Smoke Screen should be allowed, if your on the level that you are on, there is gear that can give you decent accuracy bonuses, and if you have a pet that has may cast talents, it gets rid of the Smoke Screen. You do have infallible and unstoppable to use with your spells to help with the accuracy boost, plus like someone said they do have a down side, they do have to use a constant pip every turn. Just fix your deck a little and try again