Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Problems with couch potato reverting back

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

I have 3 of my wizards growing couch potatoes right now.

My son wanted to watch the couch on my life wizard change from young to mature this morning. The progress bar looked like it would happen any second and then every couch progress bar went back to the start of "Progress to Mature".

Tonight, the same thing happened to my storm wizard. The progress bar was half way (maybe farther) on "Progress to Mature", then the progress bar for the storm wizard couch went back to the start of "Progress to Mature". I planted a tiger lily a couple of minutes after planting the couch so I could use it to hold pixies (use summon pixie), they seem to do this really well. The tiger lily progress bar is correct and I have witnessed it reaching young. I am waiting to see if it's progress bar reverts back to the start of "Progress to Mature" tomorrow.

Each of these to fields had all likes added within a couple of minutes of their planting. In each of these fields I cast "Summon Pixie" when I found them in the young stage. The life wizard field was planted early last night and the storm wizard was planted early this morning. Each of these fields had been growing for more than 12 hours with all likes. Each of these fields was given it's "needs" when necessary.

I have grown many fields of couch in the last couple of months I have just recently leveled up 2 wizards to grow couch for mega snacks (pet training) and do not understand what is going on to have this happen twice in one day, on 2 different wizards.

This is the first time I have had more than one wizard growing couch at one time. Makes me wonder if all the wizards are using the same "timer" instead of a unique timer per wizard (or something similar). Possibly doing something on plants for Wizard B causes something to go wrong for the plants of Wizard A and C.

I have spoken with other wizards and some have said this has happened to them and others have been told by friends that this has happened.

I would recommend that the KI programmers use "Fly Swatter" on this bug. After all, it is suppose to take care of all bug related issues with plants.

Bad Joke, I know.

Please look into this and let us know what you find out.

Thanks...

Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

I have looked at the couch progress bar for my Life and Storm wizards.

The life wizard couch was planted 12 - 15 hours before the storm wizard.

The progress bars for each appears to be the same (storm wizard's progress possibly slightly ahead of the life wizards).

They are both in the "Progress to Elder" stage.

The life wizard's couch should be much farther than the storm wizard's and both should be considerably farther than where they currently are.

Thanks

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
A common problem. They revert many times when growing it seems. I prefer the magma peas over them,since they do not seem to bug as often.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

Evil Magma Peas would be the best but are very rare drops when farming. I must have more than 120 Couch Potato seeds right now and with all three wizards I can easily grow 96 total at a time.

I want to get other 3 wizards growing them as well.

If the couch do not have bug issue then I can get 192 mega snacks in 7 - 8 days right now.

I think the bug issue, at least in part may be "like" related. It looks to me that I somehow lost all the "bonus" growth from the "likes".

I do know that my Death character had 24 couch growing at the same time as life and storm. Those were not affected. After thinking about it the only real difference I know of between the 2 fields that had problems and the one field that did not is this.

Death had all likes on the ground in the field. There was no issue with this field.

Life and Storm had likes floating above the field, to get them out of the way. Had issue in these fields.

This would suggest that somehow the plants did not see the likes for a brief moment in time and the "Like" variables in the code were reset and all bonus growth time was lost. However, when in garden mode all couch reported seeing the likes.

This may be where the bug resides in the code

To support this I can tell you that in the past I have tried adding and removing "likes" to get plants with different growth time to reach elder harvest at the same time.

If I added the "likes" I would see the faster growth times, but then removed the "likes" and I would loose the "Bonus Likes" growth time, I had already accumulated.

Administrator
I asked our Dev Team about what could have caused this.

Likes and dislikes cause a plant’s progress to be recalculated.
If “likes” were removed or “dislikes” added, they can cause the progress bar to adjust.

Now I realize "adjusting" is a long way from "resetting" so we're looking into just what may be happening that causes a full stage reset.

community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

No Dislikes have been used with my couch if this helps.

Once my couch reach elder harvest I am going to repeat what I did and see if it happens again.

I am also going to repeat my early testing with the removal of likes in the middle of a growing cycle. If a "like" is removed the "growth rate" should adjust, but none of the "bonus growth" received prior to the removal should be lost. The plant should simply continue growing at the reduced rate with the "like" not there.

Thank you again, it is greatly appreciated.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

So, it has happened again, several of my couch potato have reset back to young on my Storm Wizard, but not all.

I gave them water, music and pest control last night at about 11:30 PM and all was fine. At 7:30 AM this morning they were all fine, none were in the "progress to dead" stage, I gave them their needs. I went back at 7:45AM and found several reverted back to the young stage.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Professor Greyrose on Sep 23, 2013 wrote:
I asked our Dev Team about what could have caused this.

Likes and dislikes cause a plant’s progress to be recalculated.
If “likes” were removed or “dislikes” added, they can cause the progress bar to adjust.

Now I realize "adjusting" is a long way from "resetting" so we're looking into just what may be happening that causes a full stage reset.
This isn't the problem. Many many many posts regarding this glitch have been posted in these forums. I personally have experienced this glitch many times, and I can assure you nothing else in my garden had changed regarding likes or dislikes. Though in my case they revert back to mature when they are almost to elder.

It's a glitch that's been happening for a long long time. At least a professor finally acknowledged that they heard us. But the Devs are simply incorrect in their assessment that we are all changing likes and dislikes in our gardens to trigger this bug.

And it does seem to be focused on Couch Potatoes. My Evil Magma Pea gardens have never experienced this glitch.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

It has happened again, several couch reverted back to young. Now that I am keeping track it has happened 3 times out of 7 fields of Couch Potato's.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

Planted 2 more fields, half of the plants reverted back to young in one of the fields after receiving the required needs.

All plants had reached mature, could not have been there long as I planted them yesterday morning.

I cast water, music, pest control then I watched it happen, right before my eyes.

About half of field went back to young.

Any idea when we will hear back from development as to what is causing this?

Thank you,

Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
HI,

Came back a few hours later and the rest of the couch potatoes that had not yet revert back has done so.

Thank you

Defender
Apr 09, 2011
if i don't keep care of my couch potatoes for only couple of hours they start to die.!!! and this usually happens when it is almost elder

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
A much talked about,and posted about problem that has been ongoing for years now. Hopefully the devs at KI will address it soon. In the meantime, try the magma peas,they don't bug like the couch potatoes do.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

Planted 2 fields, one has several plants reverting from mature back to young again. I expect all of them in this field to revert back based on my experience.

So, it looks like this bug affects 50% of couch potato planted.

When is this bug scheduled to be looked into?

When can we expect some answers as to what is going on?

Thank you,

Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

My wife planted 4 couch, all fit inside a single large spell ring.

Farm, Tropical Garden Gnome

All seeds planted within a few seconds of each other.

All seeds given needs with large spell ring.

Seed number 4, last one planted reset about 8 hours after reaching mature.

This garden is as simple as it gets.

Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
You might want to email KI about this, even though they must be seeing it since every post has to be approved...

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Pirates in the Sky on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
You might want to email KI about this, even though they must be seeing it since every post has to be approved...
KI is aware of this bug. The Developers would like you to think that you are personally doing something in your garden that makes them reset, which is exactly the response one would expect when they have no idea how to fix the problem.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Needs affect plants at different times. If you check your plants after a couple hours, one or two might have needs and none of the others do. If you leave it overnight and come back, they might all need water and music. That doesn't mean they all have needed them for the same time period. One or two may have needed them longer than others so they have already moved to progress to dead. When you cast the needs spell on all of them, those ones progressing towards dead will "revert" to progress towards mature. I have 95 couch potatoes in my garden all the time and see this happen to a handful if I go too long between needs visits. This also seems to happen more often if you visit your home between garden visits. I have never seen them randomly revert as described though. It's always when casting their needs, because they were just at the beginning over progressing towards dead.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Nope,

I am Rank 15 Gardener, could not guess how many I have harvested. I have let plants enter the "Progress to dead" stage, I know what couch look like when they are in that stage. The change color and start to shrivel up, like old people :).

I planted more on 2 different wizards yesterday. Some reverted back this morning and none were showing signs of "progress to dead".

My wife's garden was simple, not stacked, only 4 plants, and checked every 7 - 9 hours. Only had gnome and farm for likes. All plants given all required needs with large spell ring. None were in the "progress to dead" stage.

On my gardens we gave needs when almost to elder harvest just to make sure none of them entered the "progress to dead" stage. All were happy after needs were given. Maybe a minute after all were satisfied and right before my son's and my eyes, they reverted back. Again, none had entered the "progress to dead" stage.

This reverting back to young is how I learned to always keep a regular tiger lily in the garden and never have to replant it. I cast summon pixie on it, I let it enter the "progress to dead" stage and give it pollen. It reverts back to young AND the pixie has stayed with it every time but once. In all the times I have done this the pixie has only left the tiger lily twice, the other was when I forgot about it and it reached elder harvest.

Anyways, I am not sure why it happens, 4 are easy to watch and take care of. One still reverted back without entering the "progress to dead" stage. Couch are not that hard to grow.

If you provide all needs without the plants showing "Progress to Dead" and they are fine for more than a few seconds after they should not revert.

"Progress to Dead" is very easy to see.

Thanks,