Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Recommendation for New-comers

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 21, 2011
Okay, so, if a friend of yours was to join Wizard101, what school would you recommend to him/her? Personally, I would recommend Myth due to its strategic combat style. Do not start any arguments, I am just curious what school you would recommend, not which school is the best. Here are the choices (obvious but i'm listing them anyway ): Myth, Fire, Storm, Ice, Death, Life, and Balance. (I did Balance in multiple colors to show that it is somewhat of a mixing pot for all schools)

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Depends on the friend, their temperament, maturity level, and disposable income.

I suggest to anyone trying out the game to try all the schools for a little while and see which ones they fit with best. Don't delete the others, but keep them handy as helpers - they can act as backpack expansions if needed, for things you want to use in the future like seeds and furniture.

Later if you change your mind, you can pick up one of the other wiz and start questing on him, moving his storage items to the first wizard.

If someone is very young and might become discouraged by a poorly-fitting first choice, I will steer them along the lines of fire, life, or death. These all have a strong early game, reasonable to great accuracy, good to great health, and lots of options for healing oneself in solo questing. They also play well with others, especially life and death which get heal-other spells. Later on, especially if they have started to build a group of friends, I'll recommend they look at balance as a way to get a grasp of team dynamics. It's also a school-of-hard-knocks for learning the value of your secondary school choices. Again, not a first choice school for the faint of heart.

If someone is older and has experience with MMOs and card-based strategy games, I'll usually recommend life or storm if they are primarily playing casually with a group, or ice or myth if they are soloing or interested in pvp.

If someone's temperament and character seem to lean towards the gardening/crafting/house furnishing end of things, this usually means they will want to collect lots of seeds and reagents. For this I usually recommend storm for farming efficiency, at least as first wiz. A well-cultivated lvl 75+ storm can supply the crafting and gardening needs of a full roster of other wizards.

Historian
May 06, 2009
TheAwesomeMyth on Aug 12, 2013 wrote:
Okay, so, if a friend of yours was to join Wizard101, what school would you recommend to him/her? Personally, I would recommend Myth due to its strategic combat style. Do not start any arguments, I am just curious what school you would recommend, not which school is the best. Here are the choices (obvious but i'm listing them anyway ): Myth, Fire, Storm, Ice, Death, Life, and Balance. (I did Balance in multiple colors to show that it is somewhat of a mixing pot for all schools)
This is rather hard, as all schools are have a strong point and a weak one. Each school is fitting to a different personality.Personally, I'm in love with the Death, Balance, and Life schools, but I would recommend whatever is fitting to their personality. That's why you can take a test in the game as well as on the Wizard101 website before you start playing, to give you an idea on what your school of focus might be. I'd recommend you have him/her take this test before starting.

If your friend has a lot of patience, likes high defensive and tons of health, Ice would be perfect.

If your friend is very creative, innovative, loves dealing damage, is very offensive and deal damage to all enemies, I would say Storm.

If your friend is very passionate, a little hot-headed, likes dealing heavy damage over all enemies, Fire is an excellent school

If your friend is very social, isn't exactly offensive, but likes healing and dealing fair-ish damage, I'd say Life is fitting.

If your friend likes solo play, being very strategic, and doing mass stunning as well as using tons of minions, Myth is the way to go.

If your friend is rather quiet, brave, out of the way, silent, and a little on the gloomy/moody side of things, stealing health, and dealing damage after stacking tons of buffs, Death is a very good school.

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
I would recommend fire since it is a good starter school in my opinion .the over time spells are helpful. My BFF first and highest lvl wiz was fire, but her computer broke and she got a Mac . Yes I know she can run it n Mac now but she doesn't plan to. Anyway is powerful, with not too low health like . I would also recommend for the healing spells since beginner wizard stake more time to think out a strategy and understand battle, so then they can heal a lot. I would reccomend too for minions!!! When I first started I couldn't beat harvest lord on any of my wizards except myth Cuz of troll minion LOL!!!

FTW!!! (For the win)

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
TheAwesomeMyth on Aug 12, 2013 wrote:
My friend irl (without naming.) would totally fit balance. His personaly, and his focus.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I recommend Death, if the person is new to gaming and doesn't really have the ability to "figure it out". It seems to be one of the easiest schools to get by with and the steal health spell idea helps them survive.

I have 2 family members that I got interested in the game and for them they preferred this school over all the others they have played so far. They both have no previous online game experience and find it very difficult to figure all the aspects of being a good wizard to get though the game, I quest with them to keep them on track and fill in the fire power they lack. Since they suffer from chronic "drag in" due to disabilities this is one of the few school though out the spiral that they can handle most mob fights alone. They find Life the hardest one to get by with so far.

So really what you would recommend would be based around how that person is with games in general. It can also go by will they be playing in a group or solo.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
While I've only ever played Fire and Death beyond the free quests, I'd recommend Death. As other pointed out, the hit and heals really make things easy. Without having to worry about healing, you can focus on getting the flow of the game better. Healing is an art form that has its proper time and place and as a new person, you might not have the hang of it in this game. With death, you never need to worry about it.

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
My friend would love to be a storm if he knew I played this game. He likes being the guy who slams people in the face. My other friend would LOVE life. He stops bullying in real life and he likes to help others. But they don't know about me playing this and I can't build up the courage.

Defender
Jan 21, 2011
You guys are going into more depth than I thought it could go! I never actually thought about personality being a factor in recommending a Wizard (even if it is part of the quiz ). I was curious about this topic so I decided to ask. Here's what I'm thinking of:

Ice is perfect for those who like to drag on a battle, and persist in situations.

Life is perfect for those who like helping others, and also like to persist in situations.

Fire is perfect for those who favor strength, and like to be involved in battles.

Myth is perfect for those who prefer strategy a bit more than anything, and favor soloing much of the game.

Death is perfect for those who like to deal damage, and sustain themselves for the moment.

Storm is perfect for those who love to dish out major damage.

Balance is perfect for those that like a mix of things, and helping others.

I don't really have a vast perspective of personalities, only preferences, so I'll leave my answer for personalities for another day. Keep up the good work guys!

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
I suppose for a new-comer, they should chose a school that allows them to get through the game quickly so they get into it and don't due to boredom. My first character was fire and is now a magus pyromancer so I decided to work with my level 11 life wizard. What I have noticed is that even if life wizards are very powerful later on when they obtain a higher level, is that they are often defeated in battle because they don't have very good offensive spells. This may cause a new player to loose interest in the game if they think that they are not good at the game. Storm spells while powerful fizzle a lot of the time, which could be frustrating. Fire doesn't fizzle quite as much, but it can be expected to fizzle on average one-two times per battle. Ice doesn't have much damage, but hardly fizzles. Death requires some strategy but has damage and fizzles even less than ice. I'm no authority on balance, but it fizzles as much as death and I don't think it is all that great until you reach a higher level.

In the end I think that Death is probably the best school to start of with.
(However as a pyromancer I think that it is neck and neck with death even thought the facts point toward death.)

Caitlin Frostcloud Magus Pyromancer

Survivor
Nov 27, 2011
It really depends. Storm and myth both give a pretty powerful punch. But life has amazing healing spells witch would really help you. Choose one of those three. Your friend will be pretty happy with one of these schools

Mary Unicorn Heart. level #31

P.s don't laugh at the name I made the name when I was little.

Explorer
May 09, 2010
Actually depends on what wizard you have.
Of course you will be partied with him.
So have a wizard that complement each other.