Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

crown shop gear or card pack gear?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 18, 2012
idk what to buy the crown shop clothes or the card pack clothes which is better?

Defender
Feb 27, 2009
Hmm I recommend pack gear. Keeper Lore, Knight Lore, Phoenix Hoard, and Hydra Hoard. Keeper Lore is good for turtles. I just combo the gear from each of the packs and I can survive with a friend in Wintertusk. I can't solo cause even with Crown Gear I have low accuracy. Only six accuracy and that doesn't affect me as much as I'm storm.

Survivor
Jan 01, 2009
Get some armor depending on your level

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Packs do not guarantee you will get the gear you want though - you could rip through two dozen packs and wind up with a lot of pet snacks and nice looking furniture, and no gear.

The gear from packs is pretty sweet though, and if you have a lot of crowns to burn, find the best accuracy/resistance gear you can, find out which packs have it, level your wizard up to the next nearest decile, and go for broke.

If you're storm you may want to look at the Hawk Rider Bundle too - solid (not exceptional) gear, good pet, and a mount for bundle price. Sit on it until you get to level 50 to get a wand that grants some nice crit buffs. The hawk has a solid pedigree with spritely and storm-shot to boot. (if you do this and you want to hatch with my spinyfish, give me a shout :) )

Survivor
Nov 18, 2012
Sniper Rose on Apr 18, 2013 wrote:
Hmm I recommend pack gear. Keeper Lore, Knight Lore, Phoenix Hoard, and Hydra Hoard. Keeper Lore is good for turtles. I just combo the gear from each of the packs and I can survive with a friend in Wintertusk. I can't solo cause even with Crown Gear I have low accuracy. Only six accuracy and that doesn't affect me as much as I'm storm.
o well im storm so what do you think is good for storm students? the card packs

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Honestly, neither is that great. Some of the hoard pack gear is good for lower level wizards, but once you get to about level 40 gear and up, it gets pretty bad.

Hoard packs - Some are lower health, plus you are missing major necessary stats that are needed in the game. One set can give you great resistance (Jade gear), however, you have NO damage and NO critical. Other pack gear gives great stun block, but other stats are really bad. This seems to be worse with the higher level gear, as it becomes obsolete and virtually useless at higher wizard levels.

Crown gear - There's a couple of good pieces for very low level wizards. Most of the mid to upper level gear is nerfed in health, damage, resistance, etc. A decent piece is the Boots of the Archmage for all schools, and the Thaumaturge's Chill Waders for Ice (L85). The other gear is debatable, and you really really need to look at it closely to see if it's something you feel is necessary.

I find that crafted gear in Wintertusk and in some cases Avalon are the best way to go. Waterworks is a great overall gear that can easily be mixed and matched with crafted, crown or pack gear. Zafaria crafted gear is so-so at best, and in most cases worthless, while Azteca crafted gear is barely (and I do mean barely) better than Avalon, and is much more difficult to craft (that's why I'm sticking to Avalon gear).

Ultimately, it's all up to you. Do some research on the W101 Central wiki and see what comes up. Do comparisons before you decide which way to go.

Defender
Feb 27, 2009
technolover123 on Apr 19, 2013 wrote:
o well im storm so what do you think is good for storm students? the card packs
I am to. A life wiz recommended this with the most of the majority of the wizards.

Explorer
Apr 28, 2012
technolover123 on Apr 18, 2013 wrote:
idk what to buy the crown shop clothes or the card pack clothes which is better?
If you are under level 50, I recommend regular crown shop gear. At those level, most of pack gear gives common spells, and low stats. 50 and above, either. There is still pretty good crown gear for 50 and up, but pack gear is decent.