Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

various pet questions

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 24, 2011
As the title suggests, I have a few questions on training pets. I have set aside my quests to spend more time training my pets. (24, in total ) You don't have to answer all of them, or any at all.
  • -the higher the pedigree, the better. Why is that?
  • -do stats effect the derby? (low strengh, high intelligence, etc.)
  • -can a hybrid hatch a hybrid?
  • -would the rarity of a particular pet effect it's drop rate?
  • -what is a selfish talent?
  • -if you received a rare pet in a cardpack and not a drop, would it still be considered rare?
Thanks , Amy Duskbreeze, magus Diviner
Grace Starsong, apprentice Theurgist

Mastermind
Jul 04, 2010
Q1 better talents or unselfish talents
Q2 yesyou want them all on max
Q3 no
Q4 yes but most rare drop pets can be bought in the crown shop
Q5 somthing that does not help your wizard
Q6 if it is a hoard pack yes if a bundle no

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
  • -the higher the pedigree, the better. Why is that?
    A higher pedigree is not better. Better talents are better. Pedigree is calculated based on the supposed rarity of the talents, not on their value. Example: everybody really likes Spritely because its a great talent, but it factors lower than an unwanted card-giving talent. Also many talents are school specific, so you can easily get a high pedigree pet that has useless talents for your wizard.
    -do stats effect the derby? (low strengh, high intelligence, etc.)
    I believe so. I don't derby much.
    -can a hybrid hatch a hybrid?
    Absolutely. I have a house full of Reapers hatched from Reapers & Brave Hounds. (trying to get Spritely to manifest in a Reaper. Possibly in can't in a Reaper?)
    -would the rarity of a particular pet effect it's drop rate?
    Not sure what you mean.

I do not believe the rarity of talents that may manifest effect the drop rate of that pet from a defeated enemy.

I do not believe the rarity of a talent effects the probability of the talent manifesting within a pet, assuming the specific talent is in the list of 10 potential talents a pet may manifest.

I believe rarity is supposed to refer to how common a talent is found across all pets in the spiral. Not how common it is found in a particular breed of pet or the probability of it manifesting.
    -what is a selfish talent?
    Talents that do not help your wizard. Technically some selfish talents indirectly help like by increasing a pets attribute that also increases a boost like increased damage or resistance. But generally talents that improve pet attributes are undesirable.

There are also undesirable talents. These aren't technically 'selfish' but still unwanted. Typically off-school talents and anything you don't like is undesirable. Many people don't like card giving talents (which incidently vastly increase pedigree). When your wizard gets higher level (60+) health and mana talent boosts are kinda useless. Personal preference factors.

Survivor
Nov 24, 2011