Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I have a Problem with Pet Talents

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 17, 2010
Has anyone ever questioned their pets? I have done some Research that even though I am 100% correct the Answers come out Wrong. I had posted the Below in the W101central forums

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?338743-New-Pet-Talent-Calculations

and the calculations are not Just wrong...but highly Unbelievable Astonishingly Odd. I can't figure out why a pet that says its 8% on the Dot turns out to be 7.37% when Calculated...

I could also show a video of that fact but i just can't understand why.

2 years ago I didn't even think about the whole thing but today... I have proven myself wrong and not on just 1 thing but 2 things.

The formulas Pets say they are do not Support the Findings of anyone. This really comes to be very Disturbing and it should be addressed for a pet with 7.37% at 8% is horribly off...and worse

a 6% Attack comes out to 5.1%? How does that figure?

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
BunnyLSK on Jan 9, 2013 wrote:
Has anyone ever questioned their pets? I have done some Research that even though I am 100% correct the Answers come out Wrong. I had posted the Below in the W101central forums

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?338743-New-Pet-Talent-Calculations

and the calculations are not Just wrong...but highly Unbelievable Astonishingly Odd. I can't figure out why a pet that says its 8% on the Dot turns out to be 7.37% when Calculated...

2 years ago I didn't even think about the whole thing but today... I have proven myself wrong and not on just 1 thing but 2 things.

The formulas Pets say they are do not Support the Findings of anyone. This really comes to be very Disturbing and it should be addressed for a pet with 7.37% at 8% is horribly off...and worse

why bring that up? Its a bouns if you ask me otherwise you have to have a 245+ to your stats to get 10% proof, dealer etc.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
BunnyLSK on Jan 9, 2013 wrote:

Have you ever considered the resist of the mob your attacking into the equation.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
Not sure what you are trying to say. The calculations for added bonuses are done by KI.
It is not right or wrong, it just IS.
What wizards have done is tried to use empirical data to back calculate the equation.
So there seems to be an error in the created equation. Seems pretty close to me. Definitely in the neighborhood of a rounding error.
The boost you see is a rounded value anyways. It increases in integer only values. How KI shows the boost is up to them. It can be as soon as you get to a value above a number it rounds to the next higher number.
(as soon as you hit 5.1% boost it shows 6%)
A 0.9% difference is 90 points on a 1000 point damage spell. (this can be compounded due to other boosts, but that is a bit too deep)
But there is no error in how KI does it. How they do it is how it is.
pods

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
What i mean is when calculating for attacks, If the opponent has a 5% resist then that will affect your attack by 5% resist standard. So it will look like your attack is a certain % lower than it should be.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 12, 2013 wrote:
What i mean is when calculating for attacks, If the opponent has a 5% resist then that will affect your attack by 5% resist standard. So it will look like your attack is a certain % lower than it should be.
Sorry, when I said I did not understand I was speaking about the OP.
He seemed to have an issue about how it shows (for example) 8% damage boost when you move your mouse over it but the damage calculates out to 7.45, and he implied that it was wrong.
I think KI rounds the values shown (they have to) for simplification.

And the calculations on Central may not be what KI uses but might be close.
Unless KI posted the actual calculations on Central, but I think they are back derived empirically by players.
So there may be some difference, but it is not wrong, it is just different.
(akin to using Simpson's rule to approximate an integral in calculus)

As to your point, I don't think any enemies carry resist like a player might, say 5%. Every enemy I have seen has had a high resist to their own school (later worlds it is 80%) and a boost to one or two other schools.

I think the OP is seeing the actual damage not equal what his calculations say it should. You also have to figure that each boost is magnifying that difference (it is compounding) and if player boost is the first in the calculation, you will see quite a variance from beginning to end if you have multiple boosts (pet/gear, blades ,etc).
pods