Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is your secondary or third school?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 21, 2015
Hi,

I am just curious to see what people have chosen for their secondary and third school. I am level 39 and my secondary school is

But I can't decide what my third school will be so I just wanna see what other people got lol

Hero
May 07, 2015
my main school is the schools i am hoping to train is gonna be 1: 2: 3: 4: 5: 6:

Survivor
Jan 28, 2012
Hi,

I'm a lvl 43 wizard and for my second school I picked , so I could get better healing spells. I then realized it was time for a third school. I was also wondering what I wanted to pick, but I thought that school had some sweet spells like infection. Right now I haven't trained many death spells, but I consider it my third school besides life.

Survivor
Nov 28, 2015
I am a main Myth, but I dabbled my training points in most of the Ravenwood schools for shields. Then I decided to mainly focus on for the healing abilities, and trained more in and for their astral spells. I plan to train in for the feint spell.

Survivor
Sep 08, 2015
Ya know, i never thought of having a third school. It was always life for healing (because it is esential), and now i don't know what the astral schools will be so, i'm saving up.(right now i have 3 training points)

Fiona Dreamer secondary ON ALL

Survivor
Dec 06, 2015
I'm a life wizard, and chose death as my secondary school. Feint really comes in handy

Diana Rose

Explorer
Dec 12, 2015
inky542 on Dec 28, 2015 wrote:
Hi,

I am just curious to see what people have chosen for their secondary and third school. I am level 39 and my secondary school is

But I can't decide what my third school will be so I just wanna see what other people got lol
Both my accounts are level 110, they use utility spells like feint, sharpened blade, potent trap, colossal, fire aura, elemental blade, all of the one shielded spells trained from the fairgrounds, shadow spells like sentinel.

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
I am a lvl 36 death wizard that has good equipment.However the secondary and third school should be life and storm.Storm is good for death wizards because it will get good damage done.

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
My secondary school for most of my wizards is for utilities, , for Feint and for enchantments. I occasionally use spells as well.

There are advantages to having most schools as your secondary school but some just get useless after a while.
- Balance can be trained for Weakness, Reshuffle, and Elemental/Spirit Blades and Traps, which are a lot of utilities.
- Ice can be trained for Tower Shield, a 50% shield that works against anything.
- Death can be trained Feint, a very effective damage boosting trap and one of the best in the game (70%).
- I can't see why people would even train Fire as their secondary school at higher levels, since all schools get their own DoT (besides Balance) and damage from secondary schools become terrible due to gear only benefiting your primary school. The only thing useful about it is Glacial Shield, but any school can get their own shields.
- Myth can be trained for Earthquake, which is very effective at removing blades and shields.
- Life can be trained for Satyr and Sprite, which are healing spells that can be effective at restoring health.
- The only reason I see people training Storm is for the Windstorm that could be used with a Mass Myth Prism and Thermic Shield but other than that, there is absolutely no reason to train Storm. Secondary schools barely deal any damage with gear nowadays.
- Sun can be trained for Enchantments, which can be very useful in different ways.
- There is no reason to train Moon, polymorphs get useless at higher levels and Shift Spells aren't very effective.
- Star can be trained for its auras, which can boost you in many ways for a couple of rounds.
- Shadow spells are required in the game and it can be very powerful when used properly.

Overall, here is how I rank secondary schools in their usefulness:

The only schools I don't recommend training as a secondary school would be , and .

Survivor
May 21, 2011
I choose off school spells only for utility and never for damage as it's way more hassle than its worth trying to wield off school damage spells and it'll always be easier to do more damage more quickly with your own school. Even wearing a mastery amulet for an off school really isn't the greatest idea (imo) at higher levels because you'll loose so much on other stats that you could be getting from other amulets.

I pretty much go for death up to feint as feint is super useful, and always the sun damage enchantments and the star aura that benefits your school that you can learn at level 84. I usually also go for amplify from star even though it basically never use it once I get the level 84 aura, but there is a big chunk of game between the ability to learn both of those, and I always have tons of training points sitting around so...

I know a lot of people usually like to train in life for satyr, but I never bother with that. I don't have a life mastery and even if I did I probably wouldn't choose to use it as I explained earlier. And 4 (potentially) power pips is a lot to spend to cast that spell for someone who isn't life.

I do not pvp, so I'm not much worried about what spells would be useful there. This is only for how I play in pve.

Survivor
May 21, 2011
Oh yeah, and of course either the elemental or spirit tri blades and traps from balance.

Mastermind
Mar 01, 2015
i am a level 43 wizard and my secondary school is I inow that is probably a bad secondary school for me but I just like their spells.I dont currently have a third school but when I get enough traing points my third school will either be or

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
omagicspells on Jan 22, 2016 wrote:
i am a level 43 wizard and my secondary school is I inow that is probably a bad secondary school for me but I just like their spells.I dont currently have a third school but when I get enough traing points my third school will either be or
Death is a good school to pick and I agree with your decision.Storm is a little bit edgy but I would consider it still a good school.I recommend you use death because it heals and attacks.

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
George Washington on Jan 21, 2016 wrote:
My secondary school for most of my wizards is for utilities, , for Feint and for enchantments. I occasionally use spells as well.

There are advantages to having most schools as your secondary school but some just get useless after a while.
- Balance can be trained for Weakness, Reshuffle, and Elemental/Spirit Blades and Traps, which are a lot of utilities.
- Ice can be trained for Tower Shield, a 50% shield that works against anything.
- Death can be trained Feint, a very effective damage boosting trap and one of the best in the game (70%).
- I can't see why people would even train Fire as their secondary school at higher levels, since all schools get their own DoT (besides Balance) and damage from secondary schools become terrible due to gear only benefiting your primary school. The only thing useful about it is Glacial Shield, but any school can get their own shields.
- Myth can be trained for Earthquake, which is very effective at removing blades and shields.
- Life can be trained for Satyr and Sprite, which are healing spells that can be effective at restoring health.
- The only reason I see people training Storm is for the Windstorm that could be used with a Mass Myth Prism and Thermic Shield but other than that, there is absolutely no reason to train Storm. Secondary schools barely deal any damage with gear nowadays.
- Sun can be trained for Enchantments, which can be very useful in different ways.
- There is no reason to train Moon, polymorphs get useless at higher levels and Shift Spells aren't very effective.
- Star can be trained for its auras, which can boost you in many ways for a couple of rounds.
- Shadow spells are required in the game and it can be very powerful when used properly.

Overall, here is how I rank secondary schools in their usefulness:

The only schools I don't recommend training as a secondary school would be , and .
I agree with you George Washington but shouldn't balance be behind death because it can lack dmg.Also the balance spell weakness is kinda useless according to the dmg I do in Marleybone and the blades and traps.

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
Rockpapershotgun on Jan 23, 2016 wrote:
I agree with you George Washington but shouldn't balance be behind death because it can lack dmg.Also the balance spell weakness is kinda useless according to the dmg I do in Marleybone and the blades and traps.
Damage? I didn't rank my schools based on damage, I ranked these schools on my useful they are, and attacks are the most useless things about secondary schools. Balance has many more utilities than Death so I ranked it higher, and Weakness isn't as useless as you think. It can reduce damage (including DoTs) and it can't be pierced.

Mastermind
Mar 01, 2015
Rockpapershotgun on Jan 23, 2016 wrote:
Death is a good school to pick and I agree with your decision.Storm is a little bit edgy but I would consider it still a good school.I recommend you use death because it heals and attacks.
ok thanks for the help!

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
George Washington on Jan 24, 2016 wrote:
Damage? I didn't rank my schools based on damage, I ranked these schools on my useful they are, and attacks are the most useless things about secondary schools. Balance has many more utilities than Death so I ranked it higher, and Weakness isn't as useless as you think. It can reduce damage (including DoTs) and it can't be pierced.
You should have mentioned the other spells with balance.First here is black mantle and weakness.They are both spells you can remove with ires and 0 pip spells from your wand.Second you're training elemental blade.Death has a lot of utilities in dmg.So therefore this makes it possible with the blades and traps you can stack up.Also now that you mentioned balance.The plague thing in end Of Marleybone can be somewhat useful.The weakness for dots I think is kinda useless since your going to use up 3 cards of weaknesses.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2013
My wizard's secondary school is and her tertiary school is . However, it's probably better to train up to feint in the death school and then train aura spells. Make sure to get blades and traps at the balance school too. I've been doing this on my wizard and it's improving her fighting skills, as well as saving training points.

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
Rockpapershotgun on Jan 25, 2016 wrote:
You should have mentioned the other spells with balance.First here is black mantle and weakness.They are both spells you can remove with ires and 0 pip spells from your wand.Second you're training elemental blade.Death has a lot of utilities in dmg.So therefore this makes it possible with the blades and traps you can stack up.Also now that you mentioned balance.The plague thing in end Of Marleybone can be somewhat useful.The weakness for dots I think is kinda useless since your going to use up 3 cards of weaknesses.
There are a several flaws with this statement. First of all, I was only mentioning trainable spells that you can get with training points, not school exclusive spells. I was talking about secondary schools and not primary schools or schools in general. Second, Weakness is a Charm, not a Ward, you can reduce the damage of an entire DoT with only one Weakness and not three. Third, I was talking about PvE, not PvP so your enemies don't usually use weak, low pip attacks to get rid of Weakness. Fourth, Death has no useful trainable utilities except for Feint, (and maybe Infection in boss battles) and damage is not a utility. Finally, you shouldn't be judging secondary schools when you're only in Marleybone, you still have a lot more to learn. The order that I would rank these schools in general would be a lot different.

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
Thanks for the reply I will do this more when I get later on in the game.

Defender
Aug 08, 2012
I would just train up to Tower Shield, up to Feint, and up to Satyr. I would recommend getting the Elemental/Spiritual Blade from Niles as well. (The Elemental/Spiritual Trap is useful as well, but you can do fine without it.) Once you get to Celestia, definitely train the damage enchantments. Once my Storm wizard gets to Celestia, I might also have her train the accuracy enchantments as well, but I don't think that's really needed. spells are useful, too. On my Life wizard, I have a Chameleon that may cast Conviction, which is really useful for me. I'm definitely training spells once I get there.

Unfortunately, I did not know how to spend my training points wisely on my Life wizard, since she was my first one, I spent most of my training points in the Ice school, and a few in the Storm school. Hopefully, I can eventually get enough crowns for a training point reset, and use my training points wisely on her.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Puppylove1021 on Jan 26, 2016 wrote:
I would just train up to Tower Shield, up to Feint, and up to Satyr. I would recommend getting the Elemental/Spiritual Blade from Niles as well. (The Elemental/Spiritual Trap is useful as well, but you can do fine without it.) Once you get to Celestia, definitely train the damage enchantments. Once my Storm wizard gets to Celestia, I might also have her train the accuracy enchantments as well, but I don't think that's really needed. spells are useful, too. On my Life wizard, I have a Chameleon that may cast Conviction, which is really useful for me. I'm definitely training spells once I get there.

Unfortunately, I did not know how to spend my training points wisely on my Life wizard, since she was my first one, I spent most of my training points in the Ice school, and a few in the Storm school. Hopefully, I can eventually get enough crowns for a training point reset, and use my training points wisely on her.
Unfortunately, I did not know how to spend my training points wisely on my Life wizard, since she was my first one

You're not alone there. It leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth when you get so far in the game before you realize the mistakes you made, and by then buy back is ridiculously expensive. When I was still a member, I waited until there was free training point buy back for members and then reset mine.

For me, every non-Ice wizard learns up to Tower Shield in . Every non-Death wizard learns up to Feint in . Every Elemental wizard learns Elemental Blade and Elemental Trap, and every Spiritual wizard learns Spiritual Blade and Spiritual Trap in . Every wizard learns Infallible and their Azteca "school" aura(s) in . Every wizards learns Strong to Colossal, Sharpened Blade, and Potent Trap, and then Life, Balance, and Storm wizards also learn Primordial in . I haven't trained any wizards in spells outside of the free ones they get.

Speaking of Primordial, since I've never trained it on a Fire wizard, does anybody know... can you put Primordial on Link and Power Link to improve the healing? It's something I never thought to try until just right now. I mean it's an attack card so it's naturally assumed you could put Colossal (or any other damage buff) on it. But it's also healing, so why couldn't you use Primordial if you'd rather have a healing boost instead of a damage boost? I know most people have long abandoned that spell before all these Sun spells came along, but I'm curious now.

Explorer
Jul 17, 2014
I'm an ice wizard, and I take fire as my second school, and basically death (I have a lot of random death spells for some reason) but I don't really train for death. Anyways, I'm thinking of taking life as a third school, but I might fully train for death. I highly recommend doing life or death as a third school, because death has that good amount of damage with the accuracy too, and life is just essential because of the health spells. Astral spells are also great, but I recommend doing star spells. Here is my list of schools you should train for:
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)
7.)
I know I left out astral spells XD
Anyways, life because of healing and accuracy
Ice because there is a balance of damage, accuracy, and health which is important
Fire because of the high damage spells which usually don't fizzle too much
Death because it gives health back, the accuracy, and of course the feint
Storm because of high damage, and for higher level wizards accuracy gets better
Balance because of blades, traps, and all that
Myth because idk (I don't really prefer myth)

Defender
Nov 25, 2015
jennaw1123 on Jan 27, 2016 wrote:
I'm an ice wizard, and I take fire as my second school, and basically death (I have a lot of random death spells for some reason) but I don't really train for death. Anyways, I'm thinking of taking life as a third school, but I might fully train for death. I highly recommend doing life or death as a third school, because death has that good amount of damage with the accuracy too, and life is just essential because of the health spells. Astral spells are also great, but I recommend doing star spells. Here is my list of schools you should train for:
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)
7.)
Ice because there is a balance of damage, accuracy, and health which is important
For some reason I should put death 3rd because it is a stealer class.Life second because life is a support school.But for first it should be storm because health for some reason doesn't really matter.Plus you could blade and tempest to 1 shot enemies.Also when storms are high level you don't have to wry about accuracy.

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
jennaw1123 on Jan 27, 2016 wrote:
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)
7.)
Damage and accuracy is no reason to train secondary schools. Your gear by the end of the game would give your own school higher damage and accuracy than all the other schools anyways. Also, Myth can be trained for Earthquake which is effective at removing blades and shields. Once free training point buyback for members arrives, I recommend you buy back your training points and use them more effectively. I trained Fire as my secondary school on my Death wizard and I really regretted it. The only thing about it that I find useful now is Glacial Shield.