Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Rat Drops Unfairness

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jan 17, 2013
So recently, my friends and me have been farming The Rat for his amulets, decks, and tier one shoes. However, on multiple occasions, we only receive just pet snacks and reagents (no one ever flees).

I have no problems doing the actual battle, but it's getting extremely tedious trying to get specific gear for all 5 of my Wizards. Therefore, I think that his drops should be re-configured, so he's guaranteed to drop at LEAST one gear piece every battle, just like it is for the Morganthe final battle in Khrysalis.

I have no problems farming for gear, and all of my Wizards went through the Darkmoor struggle to get their gear. However, in Darkmoor, (without fleeing), you're guaranteed to actually get gear pieces from Malistaire, which is much better than in The Rat battle, where I'm hoping to actually get a gear piece.

Any thoughts?

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
FusionSun on Dec 23, 2015 wrote:
So recently, my friends and me have been farming The Rat for his amulets, decks, and tier one shoes. However, on multiple occasions, we only receive just pet snacks and reagents (no one ever flees).

I have no problems doing the actual battle, but it's getting extremely tedious trying to get specific gear for all 5 of my Wizards. Therefore, I think that his drops should be re-configured, so he's guaranteed to drop at LEAST one gear piece every battle, just like it is for the Morganthe final battle in Khrysalis.

I have no problems farming for gear, and all of my Wizards went through the Darkmoor struggle to get their gear. However, in Darkmoor, (without fleeing), you're guaranteed to actually get gear pieces from Malistaire, which is much better than in The Rat battle, where I'm hoping to actually get a gear piece.

Any thoughts?
wow if you are getting 'guaranteed' gear drops for Morganthe consider yourself VERY lucky. I have had 9 do her quest already and it wasn't till after weeks of farming I finally for a decent drop! Same with the team I play with. Malistaire? I find most times he drops lowest tier gear for most of us and his chest is just as bad! I think I will finally give up with storm trying to get better than blackmantle hat and my fire any robe- he still wears the crafted one.
None of my wizards, I don't think have a complete set pre-Polaris and so far nothing in Polaris but the decks seem worth the trouble. I have several accounts, work, and care for a family. I don't have hours and hours to devote to farming just to get the usual trash. Some of the reagents and snacks we get are a slap in the face for the areas we are in. I agree it shouldn't be too easy but when time after time teams are getting nothing from Morganthe or the same low level from Malistaire, it gets to be a real bore. I wish Polaris had included crafting, I have made some great gear over time.
The Rat I cannot comment on because we have yet to master that fight. But since I meet many people who return to Morganthe and Darkmoor to farm after Polaris, I am not really worried about beating the Rat till I need to move forward to another world.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
What I meant by guaranteed, is that you're guaranteed to get one random gear piece from Morganthe, with a small chance of getting a second, more coveted item (Athames, Amulets, and Rings). With Malistaire in Castle Darkmoor, you're guaranteed to get two random gear pieces, which may or may not include the Tier 1 gear.

With The Rat, you're not even guaranteed to get one gear piece. On countless runs, we have only gotten just pet snacks and reagents. Same with Baba Yaga.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2010
I just recently beat the rat yesterday, and to be quite honest, I was highly disappointed with the drops i got......none of them even being for my class wizards, which is fire.....what happened to getting our class specific drops???

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
personally I have never been for class specific drop only for anything. reason why is 1. healer class makes up only 1/7 of the classes effectively in the game. while technically there are to healer classes, balance doesn't get a aoe heal, so they relegated only to being a support healer and with the critical change, it is doubtful balance will ever be able to reliably heal more then just one person in a fight again as healing more then one requires them to be able to have a decent 70% rating critical and at least 50% outgoing heal boost. and since not all life wizards are healers both by 1. how they play and 2. by their stats, I am all for allowing a person to aquire gear for all 6 of their wizards through the use of same wizard. I am also a fan of condensing the friend list from individual wizard to account which will allow for players to have a much wider friend base to get help from but also more accurately track which wizard friends are active still. this will also allow for players to be able to choose role for dungeons like tartarus, graveyard, ect as team needs rather then being forced to do a specific role team dynamics be damned so they can get the gear for specific wizard. also I am a fan of doing at least a weekly quest for the special dungeons like graveyard that give a chit that can be run once a week per wizard for the chit token and once x number have been collected say like 10, they can trade for a specific piece of gear that they need from that dungeon. so say they farm it for a month and they still need the cloak to finish off their life wizards gear, they can trade the 10 tokens for that cloak or whatever they need. but I am strongly against running a specific wizard to get their gear.