Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Purchasing High Level Wizards

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 11, 2014
I had an idea the other day that it would be awesome to purchase wizards with crowns that start as a high level. As we've all seen, the grinding to just level up can be ridiculous in the later levels, so I think it would be an interesting feature on the part of KI to allow us to purchase high level wizards with crowns.

Think about it: being able to choose your school and customize the name/appearance of your wizard and then start the game as a level 100 (now that Polaris is out the cap is 110) with basic level 100 gear for your class, all of your training points ready to be spent, and you can jump straight into the new content. This is a very successful feature in many other MMO's, and would enable you to skip through a lot of the content that you have already done on other characters, so you don't have to use a large amount of time to get through the entire game and see all of the things you've already seen several times before. The way I imagine it would work is that every time a new world is released, the purchasable characters get updated to the previous level cap, and receive the regular amount of training points and some basic gear of that level, to allow players to jump in to new content. I don't think you should be able to upgrade a character to the level cap, because that would mean that as soon as a new world is released so many people will rush to spend crowns and not have to put in any work, so you shouldn't be able to boost existing character, only make new ones. The way I see it working is when you make your boosted character it will have all of your class spells, including the ones from quests, and then all non-class spells will be purchased with the training points you will have when you create the character.

This game is great, and this is one of those things I think of that would really improve the game in my opinion. I would love to have a filled out character roster with high level wizards of every school (except one... *cough cough*) but I also don't have the time to spend hundreds of hours on this game getting that many characters to Exalted. That's really my issue, how long it takes to progress through the game, unless you don't do side quests, but then I feel like I'm not a high enough level. This is one of the solutions to that that I think would make this game better and more easily accessible to players.

Until then, the grind continues.

Survivor
Oct 22, 2015
No, this should not and will not happen. Wizard101 is not a Pay to Win like other MMO's have turned into *cough* World of Warcraft *cough*

Buying levels or a high level wizard will minimalize the effort other players put into the game to get to where they are and being a high level will mean nothing. If KI were to do this, they would lose A LOT of players and not gain enough to make up for it. I feel like this will also lead to people just buying wizards to PvP at a high level. I suppose you could argue "They still have to grind to get the good gear" but the point of there being levels at all is so you have to put time and effort into the game to level. Not to mention, people will just buy high level wizards to gain access to the higher level worlds. Suddenly people who are smart and know the game inside and out, will be matched in high level dungeons with people who have no clue what they're doing. This system works on some games, but there is no way it will work on Wizard101........

Explorer
Dec 25, 2009
This is a wonderful idea

But...

KingsIsle won't do it. (think, their XP potion gives 10% bonus XP for 5 quests), and they have no XP boosting gear. Basically KI wants people to grind. And as they grind, they spend crowns which helps KI pay their bills.

Additionally it would cause major drawbacks in the game, suddenly people farming lower level dungeons will absolutely disappear, causing those not rich enough to have long queue times. Dungeons like Waterworks, Upper Zigzag, and Aquila (in general) will essentially die because people would just "skip" all these tough areas and get instant access to the newest and the best dungeons possible.

Also, people will be missing a bunch of interesting Easter eggs and story lines that KI implemented that going through it once you may miss.

A better alternative is giving us better XP potions, 10% for 30 minutes really stinks for the price KI charges, change it to 20 or 25%. Or give us some XP gear so we can essentially don't wind up in Celestia at level 40 crying when they critical (before they changed the critical system, this was awful since at level 40, you can't buy crit-block gear.)

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I did. Sorry . Please understand why it won't happen.

Post Script: Raise the character limit. I want a myth character. Thxokbye.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2010
Please please please ....no.

One of the things I love very best about Kingsisle games is the lack of Pay-to-Win, and the absence of what is often called "Gold Farmers" or "Gold Spammers".

Because Wizard101 and Pirate101 are free of these things, I keep coming back again and again after all MMO's fail me in this regard.

Survivor
Jul 11, 2014
CubYT on Nov 27, 2015 wrote:
No, this should not and will not happen. Wizard101 is not a Pay to Win like other MMO's have turned into *cough* World of Warcraft *cough*

Buying levels or a high level wizard will minimalize the effort other players put into the game to get to where they are and being a high level will mean nothing. If KI were to do this, they would lose A LOT of players and not gain enough to make up for it. I feel like this will also lead to people just buying wizards to PvP at a high level. I suppose you could argue "They still have to grind to get the good gear" but the point of there being levels at all is so you have to put time and effort into the game to level. Not to mention, people will just buy high level wizards to gain access to the higher level worlds. Suddenly people who are smart and know the game inside and out, will be matched in high level dungeons with people who have no clue what they're doing. This system works on some games, but there is no way it will work on Wizard101........
This wouldn't be Pay to Win at all. Pay to Win is when you can pay to get something in a game that sets you ahead of other players so you have a better chance of winning. This isn't Pay to Win, because purchasing a high level wizard wouldn't put you ahead of other wizards also at that level.
I'm not talking about buying levels, or being able to pay to boost an existing character to a higher level. I'm talking about purchasing a high level character, those are two very different things. Also, it won't minimize the effort other players put into the game. That's such a ridiculous notion I don't know how it even came across your mind. It would do the exact opposite, and a players progress would be even more meaningful if they chose to not take a shortcut to the endgame.
I don't really understand why you think KI would lose players by making the game more accessible, that's pretty counter-intuitive.
Maybe people would buy high-level wizards to experience endgame PvP, but if KI ever does make it possible to purchase a high-level wizard, what they want to do with that high-level character is totally up to the person that purchased it.
People buying high-level wizards to access high-level worlds is the exact reason this would be a good thing, it's not negative at all.
Yes, it's true that the people that would buy these hypothetical high-level wizards wouldn't know the game very well at first, unless they had played the game before, but even then it's not like they would be clueless forever, and all it takes to learn more about the high-level dungeons you're talking about is a quick forum search or a trip to the Wiki.
It's strange that you say that the system works on some games, but wouldn't work on Wizard101 without any explanation as to why you feel that way. There is no solid reason that it won't work as well on Wizard101 as it does on other games. All of the things you mentioned are the same problems other games have, but they're minuscule issues, anyway.