Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Don't join if you can't finish

AuthorMessage
Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Today (Tuesday) has been a banner day for people quitting dungeons. Three times in Darkmoor, twice in Morganthe. If you cannot finish a dungeon, especially ones as difficult as Malistaire and Morganthe, don't join, don't use Team Up. It's completely unfair to those of us willing and able to stay for the entire battle. I wish there was some sort of penalty for players who flee without a good reason. Computer acting up? No problem, totally understand. Wrong deck/gear/pet? Dash back, switch, and use dungeon recall to join again. But joining a team, and deciding you just don't want to be there anymore? Frankly, players like that should be barred from using Team Up for 24 hours per incident. In other words, if you flee 5 battles for absolutely no reason, you are barred from Team Up for 5 days.

This is incredibly frustrating, and there has to be a solution. I hope KI can come up with one.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
lol, I love folks who flee; most especially after lots of time has passed.

Actually, I'm not so much bothered by folks who flee; as I wish after a person flees, the dungeon would allow new players to join after so many seconds or minutes pass. That would resolve the issue without penalizing those who flee (and yes, not only do I want those who flee to have to wait an ever increasing amount of time before they're able to enter a new dungeon; but I want after they do finish any battle to only receive the following message as their reward...

..."for fleeing past battles, the only reward you receive is this message; thank you and have a nice day!"

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
It is most common to find people quitting difficult dungeons (Darkmoor) right away if you team up. Never use team up for Darkmoor, people are over obsessed with getting the "perfect" team with specific schools/stats, so they leave right away after checking everyone's school/stats.

I also hope KI fixes the problem, and maybe for a team up addition, allow us to see who is on team up for a specific dungeon (when standing outside it). Show their name/level/school so that if people want school specific teams, they can choose to join or not. This will also save you and your friend from being separated when trying to enter "Team up" together.

My advice for difficult dungeons is to not use team up (maybe if there are no people there, or your friends aren't online). Try to gather people to form a team, or join a group looking for spare wizards.

I like how there's a time penalty for leaving the dungeon right after teaming up. If the penalty for the second wizard to leave can be removed (I know it's less time than the first wizard who leaves has to wait). When one person leaves Darkmoor, it will be extremely challenging to finish it with 3 people, so the obvious answer is for the rest to leave the dungeon. It isn't fair if 1 person leaves while the other 3 were eager to enter the dungeon with a full team regardless of school, then the other 3 are forced to leave because they need another, and they get a time penalty for exiting the dungeon.

Sorry if my post was hard to understand, I wrote it in a rush, late at night.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Snee432 on Oct 27, 2015 wrote:
Today (Tuesday) has been a banner day for people quitting dungeons. Three times in Darkmoor, twice in Morganthe. If you cannot finish a dungeon, especially ones as difficult as Malistaire and Morganthe, don't join, don't use Team Up. It's completely unfair to those of us willing and able to stay for the entire battle. I wish there was some sort of penalty for players who flee without a good reason. Computer acting up? No problem, totally understand. Wrong deck/gear/pet? Dash back, switch, and use dungeon recall to join again. But joining a team, and deciding you just don't want to be there anymore? Frankly, players like that should be barred from using Team Up for 24 hours per incident. In other words, if you flee 5 battles for absolutely no reason, you are barred from Team Up for 5 days.

This is incredibly frustrating, and there has to be a solution. I hope KI can come up with one.
i can't agree with this enough~ people who abuse team up should be penalized accordingly.

the only trouble is, how to do it without punishing the wrong people (ie: faulty connections, power outages, the dreaded windows updates... i once got a restart message in the middle of the malistaire fight and couldn't stop it or prevent it; i lost all of my drops and nearly chucked my laptop through a window. that said, i'm sure ki can recognize patterns, etc.

i have been quit on in darkmoor more times than i have mist wood in my shared bank, so i feel your pain. if you ever end up on a team with me, that guarantees you one teammate who will never bail on you (even if the team is horrid and i'm cranky, i'll tough it out with you to the very end).

-von "vonasaurus rekt" shadowsong

Survivor
Oct 11, 2014
I know it can be irritating when people leave a dungeon, but to be honest you also have to remember that there are some very young players on this game who may not realize how socially taboo it is to leave a dungeon suddenly. Getting bent out of shape about it, or adding punishments, is not the way to go in a scenario like that.

However when people are leaving simply because of other peoples stats, then yes, that is wrong and should be treated accordingly. I think most incidents of this could be fixed if gear and stats could be checked before entry however, rather than implementing punishments.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
SilverElite on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:
I know it can be irritating when people leave a dungeon, but to be honest you also have to remember that there are some very young players on this game who may not realize how socially taboo it is to leave a dungeon suddenly. Getting bent out of shape about it, or adding punishments, is not the way to go in a scenario like that.

However when people are leaving simply because of other peoples stats, then yes, that is wrong and should be treated accordingly. I think most incidents of this could be fixed if gear and stats could be checked before entry however, rather than implementing punishments.
Penalties, or "punishments" as you put it are the best way to prevent anyone from doing this... more than once anyway. If people can do this with no repercussions then they're more likely to be repeat offenders. It's not really about social taboos, it's about common courtesy. No age is too young to learn courtesy and it's becoming more and more rare with today's "me generation".
I agree that perhaps there should be a way to preview the Team-up group beforehand but since there isn't the current penalty will have to suffice. I actually think maybe it's better not to be able to see the other member's stats beforehand because my fear is that Team-up would become a long, long wait as people drop in and drop out trying for the "perfect" team.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Something that bugs me almost as much as people who flee... people who sit back and wait a few rounds before jumping in while the other members get the brunt of the bad guys' full pip attacks. I've gotten in the habit of keeping a few minion cards in my deck just for this purpose... not so much for the help they provide in battle (which can sometimes be not so much) ... but to occupy that open slot so the hangers-back CAN'T jump in late. Call it spiteful on my part but unless someone waiting to join is a strategy that's been discussed prior to entering the instance I think it's unacceptable. A lot of folks will say "sorry, I was adjusting my deck" but hey, you just sat in Team-up for as much as two minutes and you couldn't do it then?

Defender
Sep 05, 2010
I agree with what you said, and I do find it aggravating, but there's really no way around this. Some people don't have time to sit through super long dungeons, and others have unexpected things pop up and have to quit. The best way around this is to play the game with friends that you know well who aren't going to leave.

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
This really just happened (well when I am writing, not when it gets posted ):
I rarely join a team-up with anyone I do not know, but decided to be brave and try it. Two guys /gals were getting ready to enter a repeatable dungeon and I asked if they wanted a third. They did. During the battle near the end I had prepped for a big final hit, and had just used a star spell for that little extra something. The avatar following me Reshuffled my deck, without ever saying a thing to me about it.

I am officially cured of Team-ups with strangers