Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm, Wait What!?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Nov 12, 2013
Every time I see storm it just blows me away of how it doesn't make any sense, because in actuality storm is not an actual type of magic. Anyone who knows anything about magic knows that water magic is a separate thing, wind magic is a separate thing, and thunder magic is a separate thing. Yet we still have a combination of three basic and well-known types of magic into a single school. My question is why they did this, because you can't just take three different things and merge them into one and say its legit(I'm not hating on the storm school, just the idea of it). One theory is that the spirit schools represent the mind(Myth), the body(Life), and the spirit(Death), and KI created three opposing schools to create balance, but everyone knows that equal number doesn't always mean stability. Storm is not at all a bad school, it has great spells featuring the denizens of the deep and its own unique play style, but really what were the developers thinking? I'm not saying to change anything, I just want a straight explanation.
Here's a chart of type matchups: '>' means type advantage( the damage of that type will be boosted on ...)

Balance> Everything
Ice >
Death >
Fire >
Myth >
Life >
Thunder>
Wind >
Water >

The reason I put everything for balance is that since balance is a little bit of everything, it should be able to boost on everything and also boosted by everything as well.Regular type advantage +15%, balance type advantage +5%( to and from). Questions and comments are always welcome.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Arcanexo on May 20, 2015 wrote:
Every time I see storm it just blows me away of how it doesn't make any sense, because in actuality storm is not an actual type of magic. Anyone who knows anything about magic knows that water magic is a separate thing, wind magic is a separate thing, and thunder magic is a separate thing. Yet we still have a combination of three basic and well-known types of magic into a single school. My question is why they did this, because you can't just take three different things and merge them into one and say its legit(I'm not hating on the storm school, just the idea of it). One theory is that the spirit schools represent the mind(Myth), the body(Life), and the spirit(Death), and KI created three opposing schools to create balance, but everyone knows that equal number doesn't always mean stability. Storm is not at all a bad school, it has great spells featuring the denizens of the deep and its own unique play style, but really what were the developers thinking? I'm not saying to change anything, I just want a straight explanation.
Here's a chart of type matchups: '>' means type advantage( the damage of that type will be boosted on ...)

Balance> Everything
Ice >
Death >
Fire >
Myth >
Life >
Thunder>
Wind >
Water >

The reason I put everything for balance is that since balance is a little bit of everything, it should be able to boost on everything and also boosted by everything as well.Regular type advantage +15%, balance type advantage +5%( to and from). Questions and comments are always welcome.
Just to be fair, in REALITY there are NO schools of magic. Just because you set a different set of arbitrary schools & boosts in your mind doesn't make them any less arbitrary than KI's.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
Well let me start by saying that you're right. It will not be changed. And I exactly can't give you a reason, except that the developers only wanted 7 schools? By the way nice chart

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013

Balance> Everything
Ice >
Death >
Fire >
Myth >
Life >
Thunder>
Wind >
Water >

In a game filled with fantastic beasties, inconceivable evil-doers, magical happenings, ghosts, skeletons, talking animals that can think and reason, pets that can cast magical spells, flying broomsticks, dimensional portals, ancient sentient trees, time-travel, underwater breathing, animated plants and, oh yeah, MAGIC... why does there have to be any rhyme or reason to it?

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
"because in reality"

In reality it's all pretend. I'm OK with it.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
It's a virtual game so much of it's subject matter will have no place in reality, but if you want to get down to the nitty gritty of things one could argue that fire and ice are not real elements in themselves either.
hydrogen+oxygen+32 degrees farenheit= ice and any ignitable substance+ heat or heat created by friction+oxygen=fire.
The only true elements in ice school are hydrogen and oxygen, and the only true element in fire school is also oxygen because there are so many different ways to start a fire that i don't feel like listing.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
There are as many systems of magic as there are fantasy worlds where magic is a thing. Take Avatar for instance, there's air, water, fire, and earth, and everything else is just an offshoot or a subset of one of these basic elements. So icebending is a subset of waterbending, lightning is a specialty for advanced firebenders, etc.

A well-known card game proposes five basic "colors" of magic which combine, recombine, and subdivide into various minor aspects. As it has just celebrated its 22nd anniversary I doubt they will run out of ideas soon.

Contrast that with Star Wars, for which only two major schools of magic exist, both of which draw their power from the exact same source.

It's nice to know that not all worlds run on exactly the same template, or fantasy buffs and old gamers would soon be bored.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
crunkatog on May 22, 2015 wrote:
There are as many systems of magic as there are fantasy worlds where magic is a thing. Take Avatar for instance, there's air, water, fire, and earth, and everything else is just an offshoot or a subset of one of these basic elements. So icebending is a subset of waterbending, lightning is a specialty for advanced firebenders, etc.

A well-known card game proposes five basic "colors" of magic which combine, recombine, and subdivide into various minor aspects. As it has just celebrated its 22nd anniversary I doubt they will run out of ideas soon.

Contrast that with Star Wars, for which only two major schools of magic exist, both of which draw their power from the exact same source.

It's nice to know that not all worlds run on exactly the same template, or fantasy buffs and old gamers would soon be bored.
Is the card game your referring to magic the gathering?

Defender
Dec 20, 2008

Balance> Everything
Ice >
Death >
Fire >
Myth >
Life >
Thunder>
Wind >
Water >

Storm Magic, is technically a magic, It comes from a combination of Lightning Magic, Wind Magic, and Water Magic.
All of those used at once, create Storm Magic, I hasn't been used I many games, because partly they wanna have lots of attacks you can use.

Wizard101 has 101 to many attacks. (I made a really bad pun ) But, anyway, basically, Storm Magic, is a adaptation of Lightning, Wind, and Water magics.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008

Balance> Everything
Ice >
Death >
Fire >
Myth >
Life >
Thunder>
Wind >
Water >

Since its unknown whether magic actually exists or not, we can't really say "You can't just mash up three magic's and call it legit."

Well they kinda can, because its their universe, plus where do you think ice magic came from? Is was using Wind and Water to make it colder and colder, what about Balance? using wind and earth magic, they created sand, and it was also a combination of everything.

So why can't storm be a combination of Water wind and lightning?

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
In a way all of the schools are made up of smaller things.
- snow, blizzards, ice
- sun, energy, heat
- your examples
- fairies, healing, nature
- dragons, bones, absence
- natural disasters, creatures, gods
- everything
I do get your point of how storm is broken up into a bit more detailed things. They all fall into a still specific category of storm though. I hope this helped lighten your confusion.
- Gabrielle Silversword