Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help for level 73 Ice wizard, please.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 08, 2010
Hello everybody!

So, I know there are lots of guides out there for various Ice wizards, and I have read these guides, and none of them fit what I have, my actual playing style, or my options.

I suppose I'd better start from the beginning.

For about 6 months now (Since the beginning of Zafaria) To right now (Avalon) I've noticed that the bosses and monsters have grown in power exponentially. I used to ask my mother for Crowns, but my family isn't that well off, so I can't afford the thousands and thousands of crowns for henchmen, retrains, or gear.

For about a month and a half now, I have been reading the various, 'in-depth' guides posted on the registered fansites KingsIsle has provided, and none of these seem to be very helpful as they all tell me I need certain spells that I can't get due to my retrains being unaffordable.

I am a level 73 wizard, with all spells up to Snow Drift,
All trainable spells
All trainable spells
Reshuffle
Fairy
and for some wild reason, Dark Fairy

Spells through Fortify
Spells through Strong
Polymorph Mander

I carry a Life-force Blade for a wand, but I also have a fire bow.

I do not currently have text chat.

I currently have 53 crowns and no more will be coming my way in the foreseeable future.

I am a pet Commander, but I am prohibited from PvP.

I have an Ancient Fierce Hound pet, and an Epic Ice Wyvern.

All in all, I'd quite appreciate it if someone, somewhere, would be nice enough to help me formulate a character equipment and deck strategy that would help me specifically, without spending real money (Unattainable at the moment) In advance, I am aware that I made horrifically wrong choices in spells and gear and crown expendage, but I would like to be able to do the best with what I've got. I really would like to continue playing this game, but every time I've tryed, each battle is a long, drawn out slugfest that can take me up to 45 minutes, for some street fights. I personally think that that is a hugely unacceptable amount of time to finish an average of 5 minute battle. I also am completing the crafting quest where I have to make 2 teapots.

Maybe I just am really bad at this game, but it is really fun and I would appreciate help.

Please, don't rage at me and be like, OMG, you stink at this, LOL! Noob" because that really isn't going to help me.

Thanks in advance,

-Michael IceStrider ,

Massive Fantasy Palace
OR
Dorm 117

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
Hello Michael,

If you're a member, then wait for KI to bring back the "Free Buy Back" on the Training Points, and most of your situation will be fixed. Until then, with all the research you claim to done, you should stop trying to "reinvent the wheel" and take the advice of the player's suggested methods on how to prepare for your duels.

In my opinion, your post sounds a lot like you're of the mind that you can somehow, someway find that one way of defeating mobs that noone else has discovered yet. This game is 6 years old, trust me, many tried and proven methods are already at your disposal, and you should implement them.

Gearwise, perhaps you should consider crafting as an alternative to Crown purchasable gear, and eventually you hatch a decent pet, if you don't already have one. The Ice school gear from the Avalon recipe vendor(s) are pretty good.

Without text chat, I'm sure you find it difficult to acquire an active "Friends" list, but try to use KI's group tools such as "Team Up" or the kiosk by the Bazaar to assist you when your progression has come to a halt.

For my Ice wizard, I usually just use Frost Giant, and Wooly Mammoth to dispatch my enemies. If I have to duel an Ice enemy then a Prism is necessary. I bought Sleet storm TC until I was able to train the spell in Azteca, and I made sure my Accuracy was as high as possible to lower my Fizzle rate.

I don't believe you are a bad player, you just need some fine tuning of your play style, and how the game mechanics work playing as an Ice wizard.

Best of luck to you,

Lincoln Realm
Gabriel lvl 100
Michael lvl 86

Survivor
Jun 08, 2010
mmoluvr on May 20, 2015 wrote:
Hello Michael,

If you're a member, then wait for KI to bring back the "Free Buy Back" on the Training Points, and most of your situation will be fixed. Until then, with all the research you claim to done, you should stop trying to "reinvent the wheel" and take the advice of the player's suggested methods on how to prepare for your duels.

In my opinion, your post sounds a lot like you're of the mind that you can somehow, someway find that one way of defeating mobs that noone else has discovered yet. This game is 6 years old, trust me, many tried and proven methods are already at your disposal, and you should implement them.

Gearwise, perhaps you should consider crafting as an alternative to Crown purchasable gear, and eventually you hatch a decent pet, if you don't already have one. The Ice school gear from the Avalon recipe vendor(s) are pretty good.

Without text chat, I'm sure you find it difficult to acquire an active "Friends" list, but try to use KI's group tools such as "Team Up" or the kiosk by the Bazaar to assist you when your progression has come to a halt.

For my Ice wizard, I usually just use Frost Giant, and Wooly Mammoth to dispatch my enemies. If I have to duel an Ice enemy then a Prism is necessary. I bought Sleet storm TC until I was able to train the spell in Azteca, and I made sure my Accuracy was as high as possible to lower my Fizzle rate.

I don't believe you are a bad player, you just need some fine tuning of your play style, and how the game mechanics work playing as an Ice wizard.

Best of luck to you,

Lincoln Realm
Gabriel lvl 100
Michael lvl 86
Hmm.

Thank you for your answer. It is quite helpful, and I will definitely be taking into account your advice on crowns and crafting. However, I'm not sure exactly what you mean about "Free retrains". I've been in this game since Celestia was added, and I have never once heard of free retrains. I was offline until a bit after Azteca was added, given, but I have never heard of free retrains. Please, elaborate?

Also, any opinions from others would be welcome too.

Thanks,

Michael IceStrider,

Massive Fantasy Palace
OR
Dorm 117, Ravenwood School Circle

Survivor
Oct 01, 2014
One of the new member perks is every so often they offer things for subscribers. One thing is a free training points reset. You can go to Mr. Lincoln and reset all your off school spells. You won't lose any of the ice school spells or any of the ones you get from packs or foes like loremaster. When you get a chance to reset them think about just what you really need. Train up to gargantuan no matter what. Also you will be getting a chance to get the sharpened blade and potent trap later. So make sure you save some up for ones like that.

On the boss fights since it sounds like you are soling a lot. I would suggest looking at wiki. The guides can help but are normally set up for 4 players. On wizard101 central wiki you can look at just the "facts" on a boss you are coming up on.

For gear one of the main recommended sets is the Water Works gear. But the crafted stuff can work good. Or a mix of crafted and won items.

Having a pet like a enchanted armament where you get stackable blades can help a lot. But there are a lot of other pets that can help. Also you can request help on getting a offense pet for ice over at Wizard101 central pet mixing meet ups. This can help the speed you take out foes.

Next look at your deck. If you have too many cards and taking turns throwing away cards trim it down. You can get by with just a few and the reshuffle if things go bad. You can change decks pretty fast think about a mob deck, a ice mob deck, boss deck, and ice boss deck. This just helps you fast change decks to different situations.

Fastest way to dispatch mobs is using a mix of blades.They recently added ice blade treasure cards in the game at some of the vendors so picking them up isn't too hard any more. Francis Lux in Abbey road has them. Also equipping shango's iceblade amulet helps if you don't already have it.

Explorer
Jul 15, 2012
Michael IceStrider on May 20, 2015 wrote:
Hmm.

Thank you for your answer. It is quite helpful, and I will definitely be taking into account your advice on crowns and crafting. However, I'm not sure exactly what you mean about "Free retrains". I've been in this game since Celestia was added, and I have never once heard of free retrains. I was offline until a bit after Azteca was added, given, but I have never heard of free retrains. Please, elaborate?

Also, any opinions from others would be welcome too.

Thanks,

Michael IceStrider,

Massive Fantasy Palace
OR
I believe every once in a while, for a limited time, Kingsisle lets members take back their training points for free. It was added last year I believe as part of an update that gave limited time benefits for members. If they add it again, I recommend training:

spells up to feint (Feint is AMAZINGLY powerful for boss battles)
damage spells(Strong, etc.) up to colossal
spells up to satyr
Elemental blade and trap (they can boost your spells a lot)
Reshuffle

and anything else you may see fit with the extra training points you may have left.

I also recommend buying a Life Mastery Amulet from the Crown Shop when you have enough money, and asking your parents to turn on your text chat so you can communicate with people better.

Robert Angleblade, Level 100

Survivor
Jun 08, 2010
Roberto Angleblade on May 21, 2015 wrote:
I believe every once in a while, for a limited time, Kingsisle lets members take back their training points for free. It was added last year I believe as part of an update that gave limited time benefits for members. If they add it again, I recommend training:

spells up to feint (Feint is AMAZINGLY powerful for boss battles)
damage spells(Strong, etc.) up to colossal
spells up to satyr
Elemental blade and trap (they can boost your spells a lot)
Reshuffle

and anything else you may see fit with the extra training points you may have left.

I also recommend buying a Life Mastery Amulet from the Crown Shop when you have enough money, and asking your parents to turn on your text chat so you can communicate with people better.

Robert Angleblade, Level 100
UPDATE

Alright,

I think this is solved, Continued advice is welcome but I fixed it. Thanks to all the responders

Michael IceStrider ,

Massive Fantasy Palace
OR