Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

multi-play

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 30, 2012
Wizard101 is by far the best game I've ever played, and it's also one of the most challenging and strategic games I've played. However, after Dragonspyre, each world increasingly gets extremely more difficult, and by the time you reach higher levels it is almost impossible to solo the game. And I know most peoples response is that this game is meant to involve teamwork and working with others, and I completely agree. There's just one problem: working with people you don't know is unreliable. It can be unpredictable, and you don't know their schedule, so many times none of your online friends are available. Also, if you need to take a break for a few days, when you come back on they could be on an entirely new world and don't have time to help you. Also, communication can be difficult. The only time I've truly been able to play well with someone else is when I did it with my brother, who was playing right next to me. And since soloing is now nearly impossible (because some people aren't as strategic or they're simply children who can't figure out the hardcore gameplay), gameplay is getting seriously difficult and impossible at times. I have tried using multiple account and playing as three or two wizards at the same time, but on a single screen this can be very hard to switch between them and fighting can be difficult.

Here's the idea I propose:

Some kind of "multi-play" option for an account. Here's out it could work (and KI can always work wit it- I'm just giving a basic idea). In the wizard selection screen, you can simply select the "play" and play as one wizard as you would regularly. But instead of just that, there could be a second button, called "multi-play". What this does is, when you select it, a drop-down of all your wizards on that account could appear, and you could select up to four at a time (because only four wizards can participate in a battle at a time). Now, once in the game, you can control all of your own wizards, from two to three to four. In game, there would be a "select" button that could appear when you click on any of your wizards, that way that can be your "controlled wizard", allowing you to select his/her gear, spells, etc. This wizard then acts as the leader, and he is the one you move around. The other wizards are basically moving NPCs. To simplify things, they can't be drawn into battle- they only go into battle if the controlled wizard does. And when accepting quests, the other following wizards are automatically given that quest. and when the quest is finished, they are given the XP and items that come with it, that way, you don't have to switch between wizards every time. In battles, there are different ways of doing this, but you could either have to select one wizard's spell at a time or there could be a scroll-through of each wizard's spells, and you could go up and down between them.

These are just the basics for now, but you get the idea. KI and everyone else, PLEASE consider this idea!

Explorer
Feb 23, 2015
This would just make the game into a typical RPG like the Final Fantasy series. This would remove most, if not all, incentive for players to interact with each other. And what would players who've worked hard to max out more than one wizard? I have not yet maxed out one wizard let alone two or more; so, I cannot be certain, but I would personally be offended if new players could just flood the game with multiple wizards and max them all out in a quarter of the normal time.

I'm in Azteca right now. Getting this far has not been easy, but it was possible and advencing through Azteca and the next world will be equally possible without the option to double, triple, or quadruple my power.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I like the idea. As someone who plays two accounts at a time, this would especially be beneficial in dungeons. It's so frustrating being in all of these anti-teleport dungeons where you have to run one wizard to a point, switch screens, and then run the other wizard there before you can do anything. Some dungeons aren't really bad, like where you're just moving from one small room to the next. But the Aquila dungeons, Waterworks (once you reach each lever)... anything where you're running long distances between instances and you can't port, it really sucks.

One thing that might not work so well the way you've explained it is turning in quests (outside of dungeons that automatically award progress) because you may have some wizards that have already completed the quest. I don't know how difficult it would be to deal with that issue. Maybe I'm just overcomplicating it in my head.

One other potential issue I see relating to that are wizards with access to areas that another hasn't reached yet. For example, when I first set up my second account, my Ice wizard on the first account was level 60 and the Fire wizard he went touring with was new. He had access to all of the worlds and every dungeon available at that time while the other wizard was still only in Wizard City.

Access would have to be based on the lowest common denominator, meaning areas and worlds (in the case of Crowns accounts), or dungeons can only be entered if every party member has access. Two person mounts allow the person with access through while blocking the other. But that wouldn't work in this case because you only have one game window active. It only works if the entire party is blocked.

I still like the idea, just trying to think of things that need to be considered to make it feasible.

Explorer
Nov 30, 2012
High Five Ghost on Apr 12, 2015 wrote:
I like the idea. As someone who plays two accounts at a time, this would especially be beneficial in dungeons. It's so frustrating being in all of these anti-teleport dungeons where you have to run one wizard to a point, switch screens, and then run the other wizard there before you can do anything. Some dungeons aren't really bad, like where you're just moving from one small room to the next. But the Aquila dungeons, Waterworks (once you reach each lever)... anything where you're running long distances between instances and you can't port, it really sucks.

One thing that might not work so well the way you've explained it is turning in quests (outside of dungeons that automatically award progress) because you may have some wizards that have already completed the quest. I don't know how difficult it would be to deal with that issue. Maybe I'm just overcomplicating it in my head.

One other potential issue I see relating to that are wizards with access to areas that another hasn't reached yet. For example, when I first set up my second account, my Ice wizard on the first account was level 60 and the Fire wizard he went touring with was new. He had access to all of the worlds and every dungeon available at that time while the other wizard was still only in Wizard City.

Access would have to be based on the lowest common denominator, meaning areas and worlds (in the case of Crowns accounts), or dungeons can only be entered if every party member has access. Two person mounts allow the person with access through while blocking the other. But that wouldn't work in this case because you only have one game window active. It only works if the entire party is blocked.

I still like the idea, just trying to think of things that need to be considered to make it feasible.
Yea, I thought about these issues, but just tried to go over some basics. If certain wizards couldn't go to certain places, it could be like you said and you can only go to places of the lowest denominator, or that wizard would be put on hold, in a way, and would rejoin the group once they left that place. Also, with mounts, the other wizards aren't capable of getting into battles, so they could either follow behind slowly and catch up, or disappear when the mount is unequipped or a battle is begun.

And I don't think of this as some sort of "cheat" to make other people who have worked hard watch people speed through. I see it as a way to easily deal with hard dungeons/bosses, and an alternative when you are incapable of finding help online. Also, regardless of your level, I feel like no one would deny that fact that it would be so cool to watch all your very own wizards working together on one screen. I think this would fun, and everyone would enjoy it, even people who get help online. So, really, it's for everyone, not just people who want to solo or don't want help online.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
General American on Apr 12, 2015 wrote:
This would just make the game into a typical RPG like the Final Fantasy series. This would remove most, if not all, incentive for players to interact with each other. And what would players who've worked hard to max out more than one wizard? I have not yet maxed out one wizard let alone two or more; so, I cannot be certain, but I would personally be offended if new players could just flood the game with multiple wizards and max them all out in a quarter of the normal time.

I'm in Azteca right now. Getting this far has not been easy, but it was possible and advencing through Azteca and the next world will be equally possible without the option to double, triple, or quadruple my power.
Unfortunately the attempted incentives for interaction are driving a wedge between people as much as they are creating a cooperative atmosphere.

However prepare to be offended. This is already happening. People already have multiple accounts that they play at the same time, myself included. The only thing this option changes is how people run multiple wizards at once. I run two at a time. Some people have more than two. All this would change is that instead of running the game in two (or more) windows and popping back and forth, you would just be able to play them all in the same window.

And one bit of advice, don't get caught in the trap of being envious of others. It's ruined the experience for a lot of people... both the people who have fallen victim to it, and those who have lost friends to it. This is an adventure, not a race. The worst thing I've seen happen in this game is all of the friends I've lost because they became ultra-competitive in a non-competitive environment. Nobody is getting a prize for getting there before you, and you don't lose anything if others pass you. Every quest that everybody else has completed will still be there when you get there. How anybody gets where they are should be of little concern to anybody but them.

Explorer
Nov 30, 2012
Also, consider children. Most kids (who the game is designed for) would struggle way too much to be able to play through high level worlds. Some kids struggle with just the first five, so why should the kids who love the game be stopped early because the strategy and difficulty is too much of a challenge. And many younger players usually can't get the same help online because it is either too hard for them to work with people who aren't physically with them or their parents may not want them befriending strangers.

And again, who would not love to just annihilate Malistare or Morganthe with four of their very own wizards, all playing together at the same time???

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
bluebugs10 on Apr 15, 2015 wrote:
Also, consider children. Most kids (who the game is designed for) would struggle way too much to be able to play through high level worlds. Some kids struggle with just the first five, so why should the kids who love the game be stopped early because the strategy and difficulty is too much of a challenge. And many younger players usually can't get the same help online because it is either too hard for them to work with people who aren't physically with them or their parents may not want them befriending strangers.

And again, who would not love to just annihilate Malistare or Morganthe with four of their very own wizards, all playing together at the same time???
This would be great for me i am a myth wizard level 87 and not one other player helps me plus i have seen some younger players just stop at the first world i really think this would be good I my self need help so think it would be good because some times your friends are not on and you may just log off because of it. think of the kids people
there sadness win they can't got any more makes me sad. so that's why it would be great for some and it took me years to get to get to the world i am in.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2014
bluebugs10 on Apr 12, 2015 wrote:
Wizard101 is by far the best game I've ever played, and it's also one of the most challenging and strategic games I've played. However, after Dragonspyre, each world increasingly gets extremely more difficult, and by the time you reach higher levels it is almost impossible to solo the game. And I know most peoples response is that this game is meant to involve teamwork and working with others, and I completely agree. There's just one problem: working with people you don't know is unreliable. It can be unpredictable, and you don't know their schedule, so many times none of your online friends are available. Also, if you need to take a break for a few days, when you come back on they could be on an entirely new world and don't have time to help you. Also, communication can be difficult. The only time I've truly been able to play well with someone else is when I did it with my brother, who was playing right next to me. And since soloing is now nearly impossible (because some people aren't as strategic or they're simply children who can't figure out the hardcore gameplay), gameplay is getting seriously difficult and impossible at times. I have tried using multiple account and playing as three or two wizards at the same time, but on a single screen this can be very hard to switch between them and fighting can be difficult.

Here's the idea I propose:

Some kind of "multi-play" option for an account. Here's out it could work (and KI can always work wit it- I'm just giving a basic idea). In the wizard selection screen, you can simply select the "play" and play as one wizard as you would regularly. But instead of just that, there could be a second button, called "multi-play". What this does is, when you select it, a drop-down of all your wizards on that account could appear, and you could select up to four at a time (because only four wizards can participate in a battle at a time). Now, once in the game, you can control all of your own wizards, from two to three to four. In game, there would be a "select" button that could appear when you click on any of your wizards, that way that can be your "controlled wizard", allowing you to select his/her gear, spells, etc. This wizard then acts as the leader, and he is the one you move around. The other wizards are basically moving NPCs. To simplify things, they can't be drawn into battle- they only go into battle if the controlled wizard does. And when accepting quests, the other following wizards are automatically given that quest. and when the quest is finished, they are given the XP and items that come with it, that way, you don't have to switch between wizards every time. In battles, there are different ways of doing this, but you could either have to select one wizard's spell at a time or there could be a scroll-through of each wizard's spells, and you could go up and down between them.

These are just the basics for now, but you get the idea. KI and everyone else, PLEASE consider this idea!
YES.
I really would support this idea; people already start different accounts to do this same thing, so why not on just one account? It would save money and if your friends are not on/do not have access to the area it would really help out a lot- like with bosses like Belloq, for example. I think this is a great idea, and KI should definitely consider putting it into the game itself.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I would most definitely support something like this. There are a few issues I'd like to note however:

First, logistics. There's the problem of navigating all of your wizards to thesame area. The last time you played you might have had one wizard in Celestia, another in Zafaria and a third in Dragonspyre... now you need to get them all to the same spot in Avalon. Maybe the ability to port to yourself could be incorporated. I don't know, just a thought... but it seems that the effort might be a bit time consuming.

Then there's experience points. It might be more fair to lower the XP per wizard in situations like this. Maybe 75% each if you're playing two... 50% each if you're playing three, etc. After all, you're gaining XP on ALL of your own wizards and this might require some balancing. The same issue could pertain to drops as well.

All in all though I like the idea. I don't know how many times I've been soloing an especially difficult boss and I've thought "Gee, it sure would be nice if I had a Life wizard here to help me", and it would be even better if it was my own Life wizard! You can insert the school of your choice but you get my drift.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
TucsonWizard on Apr 20, 2015 wrote:
I would most definitely support something like this. There are a few issues I'd like to note however:

First, logistics. There's the problem of navigating all of your wizards to thesame area. The last time you played you might have had one wizard in Celestia, another in Zafaria and a third in Dragonspyre... now you need to get them all to the same spot in Avalon. Maybe the ability to port to yourself could be incorporated. I don't know, just a thought... but it seems that the effort might be a bit time consuming.

Then there's experience points. It might be more fair to lower the XP per wizard in situations like this. Maybe 75% each if you're playing two... 50% each if you're playing three, etc. After all, you're gaining XP on ALL of your own wizards and this might require some balancing. The same issue could pertain to drops as well.

All in all though I like the idea. I don't know how many times I've been soloing an especially difficult boss and I've thought "Gee, it sure would be nice if I had a Life wizard here to help me", and it would be even better if it was my own Life wizard! You can insert the school of your choice but you get my drift.
The issue of wizards in different areas could create an issue. I'm not sure how to create a workaround for that. Maybe the account you pick for the primary when you enter the game would be where everybody assembles. Interesting thing to ponder.

But the XP shouldn't need to change. Each wizard should still collect the same full XP whenever they turn in an active quest. Limiting XP would be disastrous. Imagine only being level 20 trying to do Mooshu. Even with 3 other wizards (if they've all progressed at the same rate), you're likely never going to make it. Never mind trying to get to Khrysalis when the max level you could possibly reach would be 45 or 50. The XP, drops, etc would absolutely have to remain the same.

How quests get turned in, particularly when not all wizards are on the same quest, is where I see a big challenge.

It's certainly not something that can be slapped together overnight. There is a lot of thinking involved in trying to figure out how it could work.

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
this would REALLY help my life wiz.. .I'm in wintertusk on my life wiz and It's like I have trouble with every boss battle if I was able to also get on my storm wiz and to other wizards then this would help me a lot but what I don't understand about this idea is how you will be able to travel. You explained it already but I fail to see how traveling would work. this idea combines with the idea I had a few days ago about having a four person mount. if KI was to ever make your idea in the live realm then they would have to make a four person mount for bundles and for packs and for the crowns shop and for holidays also. but other then that I love this idea