Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Importance of Innovation.

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 09, 2010
In order for the gaming industry to start providing higher quality content, we the gaming community need to start calling bluff whenever we see it. Ad I've talked about before, positive change is something I believe this game needs to see. I talked about instituting certain game-play abilities that I believe would further enhance this game for the better in other posts, so feel free to check out my other ideas. But this topic is to solely bring fourth the foundation for the future, and ideas that I think are among the greatest for the success and praise this game deserves. Back on track, I think the developers at KI are afraid of innovation, afraid of trying new things. But the reason it's so easy for them to give in to that fear....is because of how easy it is for them to keep comfortable releasing the same experience or set of experiences over and over again. Because I see them as confident in thinking they can make you (the consumer) believe it's something new when really; it's nothing you haven't done before. And if you, like me, have had a lackluster reaction to some of the content and releases this game has brought fourth, it's probably because you're genuinely craving a new experience. And most of the most recent expansions didn't prioritize carving out a new experience, but instead focused on repackaging the same experience many of us have done before, so many times. I repeat myself that this isn't an article intending to backlash KI or any particular idea they have instituted, but to establish a sense of positive change. Because nothing that's good just comes. You have to find it yourself, or bring it to you. But re-skinning the same experience and advertising it as a new one doesn't stand in my book. What do I speak so fretfully of you might ask? I speak of the Worlds.

Yes, the thing we all love so much. I myself get excited whenever I see a world expansion that continues to add on upon the game I already hold so dear. But over the years I have realized that the worlds being released are but the same. You are doing the same thing in Khrysalis that you have been doing in Krokotopia. Going from point A to point B to fight enemies I barely know anything about....and collecting things. I strongly believe that this game needs Innovation to establish the change many of us crave. This post is a continuation of my request to add another feature of game-play into Wizard101. Because I have limited room and capabilities with this post and have almost exceeded my limit, if you want to read about the idea I think should be added go check out my Post; "More Mission Variety". Not counting the story itself, every world is nearly the same. We're all still doing the same 2 things that we have done in every world past: Fighting enemies in one spot, collecting things in another. There is still time to add beneficial game-play experiences to the 3rd arc before the release of the first world in it. I hope you enjoyed, and I hope KI has a plan. Thank you.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
For the most part I agree that innovation is absolutely necessary in order to maintain the interest of the fan base. The problem is that, like so many other games in this genre, W101 is a linear game. While KI does a superb job of hiding that fact, nevertheless that's the formula and it limits what can be done to add the new experiences you're talking about. Enter new world - quest your way through the new world - battle, collect et cetera in order to open the path to the next world... rinse and repeat. The additions of pets, gardening, fishing and other activities has obviously given more depth to the current platform but unfortunately they really do little in the long run to add to the actual game-play itself. It all still falls back to the original model which is linear adventuring. That being the case it narrows what can be done to innovate. The most obvious is what KI is doing now which is - trying to make the new worlds LOOK entirely different than what we've seen before. Still though, the actual game-play has to be the same linear style. Unless the programmers intend to do a re-vamp of the game engine I'm afraid we'll have to be happy with what we have. New mission goals would be nice but they would still be a means to the same end which is - get to the next world.
Hopefully at some time in the future maybe we'll get Wizard 201!

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I've found that the best way to get people to believe in your suggestions is to give them a really good example of something better. Then, they find themselves on your side before they can even think of a counterargument.

In the absence of an example, you're much more likely to get dozens of people saying "The game already has this," "This isn't needed," "This isn't a problem," "Your idea is bad," etc. And a lot of those people won't really understand what you were asking for, and a lot of those people will be wrong, but the end decision is still "no." Frustrating.

I think what you're suggesting has immense value, but needs visuals. Any chance you have an account on Wiz101 central and can make a mock-up of this? I think if KI staff could see the "sneaking by" quest you described, they will think "Wait, does this already exist? Oh, it doesn't? IT SHOULD!" and you can bypass a lot of the hampering debate.

Defender
May 09, 2010
Lucas Rain on Feb 13, 2015 wrote:
I've found that the best way to get people to believe in your suggestions is to give them a really good example of something better. Then, they find themselves on your side before they can even think of a counterargument.

In the absence of an example, you're much more likely to get dozens of people saying "The game already has this," "This isn't needed," "This isn't a problem," "Your idea is bad," etc. And a lot of those people won't really understand what you were asking for, and a lot of those people will be wrong, but the end decision is still "no." Frustrating.

I think what you're suggesting has immense value, but needs visuals. Any chance you have an account on Wiz101 central and can make a mock-up of this? I think if KI staff could see the "sneaking by" quest you described, they will think "Wait, does this already exist? Oh, it doesn't? IT SHOULD!" and you can bypass a lot of the hampering debate.
Immense value is an understatement as it is an overstatement. I appreciate your ideas and reactions to my post; but I'm not expecting anything to really happen with this. Kids game right? Fun for kids because they can do it (point A to point B) and boring for us older folk because it's the same experience that this game has been milking since day one. I don't expect any innovation like this, but bringing fourth the sense of it, having people acknowledge my statements and furthermore....more ideas: is all I really want. Once people realize something, they have the power. The difficult part is getting people to follow....

No, I do not have a central account.

Defender
May 09, 2010
TucsonWizard on Feb 13, 2015 wrote:
For the most part I agree that innovation is absolutely necessary in order to maintain the interest of the fan base. The problem is that, like so many other games in this genre, W101 is a linear game. While KI does a superb job of hiding that fact, nevertheless that's the formula and it limits what can be done to add the new experiences you're talking about. Enter new world - quest your way through the new world - battle, collect et cetera in order to open the path to the next world... rinse and repeat. The additions of pets, gardening, fishing and other activities has obviously given more depth to the current platform but unfortunately they really do little in the long run to add to the actual game-play itself. It all still falls back to the original model which is linear adventuring. That being the case it narrows what can be done to innovate. The most obvious is what KI is doing now which is - trying to make the new worlds LOOK entirely different than what we've seen before. Still though, the actual game-play has to be the same linear style. Unless the programmers intend to do a re-vamp of the game engine I'm afraid we'll have to be happy with what we have. New mission goals would be nice but they would still be a means to the same end which is - get to the next world.
Hopefully at some time in the future maybe we'll get Wizard 201!
Totally agree. But I don't expect anything like that to happen anytime soon, at least.

Innovation is key to success. Businesses war with each other trying to innovate the next big thing. Winners get their product carved into the tree trunk of history..and losers get cast off. Innovation is the pinnacle of human ingenuity and creativity... making the old new, the good better. I don't expect a massive engine revamp or completely tearing the game apart and over again. What I really want is them to take their ideas and make them bigger: Make them BETTER! If they use my idea of sneaking or any other potential form of questing other then fighting and collecting things...Then I consider that innovation. And more importantly, a step in the right direction. For the better.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Lucas Rain on Feb 13, 2015 wrote:

Note: My message is only slightly related to Lucas' message.

I completely agree with both Lucas and lettup. I couldn't find the "sneaking by" quest description, but it'd be a great example of a possible change to get people to agree with you. I also badly want it to be added, I love sneaking around in games. It should also appear constantly, because it's too good an idea to not be used more than once.

Regarding the problem of Wizard101 being linear, let's just make it non-linear. Problem solved?

Defender
May 09, 2010
lewski on Feb 14, 2015 wrote:
Note: My message is only slightly related to Lucas' message.

I completely agree with both Lucas and lettup. I couldn't find the "sneaking by" quest description, but it'd be a great example of a possible change to get people to agree with you. I also badly want it to be added, I love sneaking around in games. It should also appear constantly, because it's too good an idea to not be used more than once.

Regarding the problem of Wizard101 being linear, let's just make it non-linear. Problem solved?
Nice to see some inspiration and friendliness. Thanks for the feedback, but I want to point out that Wizard101 has boundaries when it comes to the story-line. They can't exceed those lines over fear of losing the support (and money) or their younger audience. Make a game too hard..... too complicated both for younger players and/or casuals and they might be offended. They can only expand on the story so much. It needs to be accessible and understandable (at least to some factor) by younger audiences. The story will have it's devotion to the casual/ younger player because it is a bond tied by an iron chain at the hip. Linear is a statement with different forms. I'm an older player, and expect high quality content. But the story is being held down by that iron chain. They have to stay loyal to those who are in that category. House of cards....take one out and the rest fall down.

"Where's the chain, Ambrose?"

Defender
May 09, 2010
Just adding on again here..... if KI continues to retrace itself with only those 2 questing mechanics...than I and many others will leave. Excessive desire for change is nothing I haven't experienced before. Same with many others.

And I can stand by from a distance enjoying myself with other games as I watch this one die a whimper of a death. But I won't stand by. I strive to bring the greatest solutions to the table, and set up a sense of Positive Change. I've been Crusading that idea for some time now....... if only people weren't as hard to herd as Firecats.

I want this game to see success in many different aspects. It's trying to keep it's community together, but failing. If this game has to rely on it's paying customers to bring fourth better ideas then that of the developers, then the aspect of your game has failed. Thankfully KI hasn't gone down that path. But it seems to be taking its steps. There is absolutely nothing wrong with feedback. Positive feedback that is. I completely detest gazing at posts that bring a problem to light yet don't offer a solution to it. Complaining and establishing a sense of negative change into others makes the ones who complain about the problem, just as much a problem as the actual problem! People need to offer their solutions and ideas more, not their complaints or excuses. Some of the most revered users on the MB don't offer their ideas to make things better. Circulating negative change by accusing the "loss of magic". Seriously? In my eyes, those who complain about the blight of something better be prepared to offer a solution to it. My personification in this post is unusual for me, but I want to make a point.

This community has sand in its eyes and a hoarse voice. Wipe away the sand and drink some water (stay healthy kids), clear your eyes and speak your mind. Then we can get somewhere. That's what I call Positive Change. And that's what I call a united community. And that's exactly what we need.

"Firecat herding?"

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
lettup on Feb 15, 2015 wrote:
Just adding on again here..... if KI continues to retrace itself with only those 2 questing mechanics...than I and many others will leave. Excessive desire for change is nothing I haven't experienced before. Same with many others.

And I can stand by from a distance enjoying myself with other games as I watch this one die a whimper of a death. But I won't stand by. I strive to bring the greatest solutions to the table, and set up a sense of Positive Change. I've been Crusading that idea for some time now....... if only people weren't as hard to herd as Firecats.

I want this game to see success in many different aspects. It's trying to keep it's community together, but failing. If this game has to rely on it's paying customers to bring fourth better ideas then that of the developers, then the aspect of your game has failed. Thankfully KI hasn't gone down that path. But it seems to be taking its steps. There is absolutely nothing wrong with feedback. Positive feedback that is. I completely detest gazing at posts that bring a problem to light yet don't offer a solution to it. Complaining and establishing a sense of negative change into others makes the ones who complain about the problem, just as much a problem as the actual problem! People need to offer their solutions and ideas more, not their complaints or excuses. Some of the most revered users on the MB don't offer their ideas to make things better. Circulating negative change by accusing the "loss of magic". Seriously? In my eyes, those who complain about the blight of something better be prepared to offer a solution to it. My personification in this post is unusual for me, but I want to make a point.

This community has sand in its eyes and a hoarse voice. Wipe away the sand and drink some water (stay healthy kids), clear your eyes and speak your mind. Then we can get somewhere. That's what I call Positive Change. And that's what I call a united community. And that's exactly what we need.

"Firecat herding?"
To me, you're exactly the kind of customer I'd want to hold onto. Most just consume the product, there aren't so many who try to make the product better. I hope KI feels the same way.

Defender
May 09, 2010
Lucas Rain on Feb 16, 2015 wrote:
To me, you're exactly the kind of customer I'd want to hold onto. Most just consume the product, there aren't so many who try to make the product better. I hope KI feels the same way.
Thanks. There have been games where I have suggested things to make it better, including this one. But people should understand...that if change is to be ushered in, then the player population has to work together to bring that change to and fro. To make it happen in a way that benefits as many as possible. Although I would love for some of the more revered users of the MB to share what they think on my idea, I am thankful that this has reached so many people. I am also thankful that complaining (at least about Darkmoor) has simmered down a bunch. People are starting to accept it. KI has heard and made some changes, but not all are what we asked for. They cut some fat form the meat, but there is more to be cut. More to be established. I certainly hope KI realizes their "mistakes" and follows the interest of the common player. Suiting those who seek a fun to play game with minimum frustration...yet also appeals to a well written story and basis.

I would love to see everyone's ideas and thoughts about we we can do to make this game better. As I said before, if we want change, we need to hunt it down, grab it by the tail and drag it to where we want it. In more accurate terms; we need to figure out what the problem is, acknowledge it, and get KI to listen and hopeful work with it. I'm gonna make a topic in The Dorms where everyone can post what they want to see In this game. I hope it gets passed. It could really institute some Positive Change. And that's what we need.