Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Life or Ice

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 05, 2009
I am trying to decide between the life and ice schools for my sixth wizard. Thing is both are the weakest in terms of damage and they are more utility than anything. I have tried both sides in the path but I cannot decide which to go with. Could someone give me the goods and bads of each school maybe that can help me decide which to go with.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
S0ulBlood on Dec 2, 2014 wrote:
I am trying to decide between the life and ice schools for my sixth wizard. Thing is both are the weakest in terms of damage and they are more utility than anything. I have tried both sides in the path but I cannot decide which to go with. Could someone give me the goods and bads of each school maybe that can help me decide which to go with.
Neither is weak if played correctly. Both my Ice and Life wizards are breezing through the game - solo.
Life can obviously heal itself and with a good secondary school at first, will have no issues. I never use the secondary school spells now; my wizard is at level 58 in Celestia and has not been defeated yet.

Ice is a tank... the highest base life possible. Do not make the mistake of using most crowns gear; Ice simply doesn't need it; get the best gear possible in the Bazaar that gives you global resistance. Although you wait forever to get your blade (level 38!), train the Elemental Blades in Krok and you'll have no problem. I trained Life to Sprite (I'm not waiting around for 4 pips for Satyr) and then Fire to fire elf. Nothing else was necessary.

The only problem with both is that when battling a boss of the same school, both tend to use shields a lot (especially Life). It's frustrating, but with a bit of planning and luck, you can still win.

Of the two, I prefer Ice simply because Life has SO many healing spells that, if you are playing solo, you will rarely need/use.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
As a max ice wizard, I highly recommend choosing ice! I started off with getting a couple of storm spells in the beginning to help me solo through some stuff; use sniper tc from Bizarre to help prevent fizzling too. This is honestly a tough question though, because I do recommend that everyone have a life wizard as well. I think it might depend on if you have life mastery amulet you can use on the ice wizard, because an ice wizard with life mastery is seriously pretty awesome. Defense and healing for the win! My ice can be quite the great healer and tank at the same exact time. I'm starting to lean away from being a healer, it gets very annoying. That is what you will find having a life wizard as well, being expected to heal everyone all of the time gets very old. Ice is very fun though, the spells are weak but if you master the art of boosting you can do very well. My ice has earned the One in a Million badge, so huge hits are definitely possible. Whatever you decide, have fun!

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
There are pros and cons to both schools. It also depends a lot on your play style and whether you solo mostly or team play. Both schools are good for solo/team/pvp play at lower levels so I'll cover a few points in the mid/high.

- Becomes difficult to solo around Dragonspyre/Celestia until reaching lvl 58 and getting Forest Lord because lack of AOE.
- Solos very well through upper worlds after getting Forest Lord.
- Critical gear affects both healing and attacks.
- Natural boost against schools, prism boost against
- Extremely versatile as both healer and hitter making it very effective in both team and solo situations.

- Becomes more difficult to solo at a higher level than , but remains difficult to solo in higher worlds like Azteca.
- Natural boost against schools, prism boost against
- Extremely effective tank in team play.
- Ineffective healer
- Very good at preventing damage with stuns, shields, high resist, and high health.

These are just a few observations based on my wizards. Either school can be played through the game very well, they just require different play styles.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2011
i have both life and ice, and ice is def my favorite. i think the spells are awesome, and you have so much base health that it makes it easier.

Survivor
Jan 21, 2011
I think ice is really good for soloing, and life is good for soloing but works better when you are with a team.
That's just my opinion.

Explorer
Sep 05, 2009
Thanks for your Imput everyone.
After reading the comments I have decided to go with...(drumroooooll) ICE.
Now I just need to figure out what a good pet for ice shall be cause I have no clue :D
Name of Wizard- Blake FrostBlood Lvl 1

Survivor
Jun 24, 2014
i am but is the spells i use i am a healer olny so my job heals so i need to heal my job i am not cra cra

Survivor
Jun 24, 2014
BenBright on Dec 2, 2014 wrote:
I think ice is really good for soloing, and life is good for soloing but works better when you are with a team.
That's just my opinion.
what do you think every one should chose it heals you over i pick every one will die without it

Survivor
Jun 24, 2014
RavenLady777 on Dec 2, 2014 wrote:
Neither is weak if played correctly. Both my Ice and Life wizards are breezing through the game - solo.
Life can obviously heal itself and with a good secondary school at first, will have no issues. I never use the secondary school spells now; my wizard is at level 58 in Celestia and has not been defeated yet.

Ice is a tank... the highest base life possible. Do not make the mistake of using most crowns gear; Ice simply doesn't need it; get the best gear possible in the Bazaar that gives you global resistance. Although you wait forever to get your blade (level 38!), train the Elemental Blades in Krok and you'll have no problem. I trained Life to Sprite (I'm not waiting around for 4 pips for Satyr) and then Fire to fire elf. Nothing else was necessary.

The only problem with both is that when battling a boss of the same school, both tend to use shields a lot (especially Life). It's frustrating, but with a bit of planning and luck, you can still win.

Of the two, I prefer Ice simply because Life has SO many healing spells that, if you are playing solo, you will rarely need/use.
you are right i am both i am ice but use life spells it tricks peploe yeah we need planing and i hate we use sheids i like olny get its kind of bad but nice thought

Survivor
May 11, 2011
I have a life with an ice mastery amulet. I was able to solo until celestia, but at that point I think my level was still too low for the areas I was in. I have an ice with a fire mastery, and the issue there is the ability to heal versus the amount of fizzle. In the end it depends on the strategy you use when playing, if you prefer offensive or defensive play better.