Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Criticaling

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 30, 2009
Hi! I'm a level 80 thaumaturge. I understand the concept of criticaling (obviously), I'm just confused on how you determine when you critical. I guess this is a question for the administration. I guess what I'm confused about it is how you tell you're going to critical. (I can't really see how I'm to word this). Like how power pip chance its out of 100%, accuracy is out of 100% so on and so forth. So what is criticaling out of? Like my wizard has a criticaling chance of 117 (I know that's bad, but hey). I guess this is what I've been trying to say. If anyone remotely understands what I'm asking, can anyone help? Thanks! Much appreciated! I'm just someone who's wanting to know more about the game :) Xxx

-Jordan Dragonshard lv.80 Thaumaturge & Kelly Moonshard lv.42

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
You can see the critical % for each of your items by mousing over the critical rating on your wizard stats. Of course some (most?) of your crits may be blocked, depending on what you are fighting.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Jordan Dragonshard on Jun 19, 2014 wrote:
Hi! I'm a level 80 thaumaturge. I understand the concept of criticaling (obviously), I'm just confused on how you determine when you critical. I guess this is a question for the administration. I guess what I'm confused about it is how you tell you're going to critical. (I can't really see how I'm to word this). Like how power pip chance its out of 100%, accuracy is out of 100% so on and so forth. So what is criticaling out of? Like my wizard has a criticaling chance of 117 (I know that's bad, but hey). I guess this is what I've been trying to say. If anyone remotely understands what I'm asking, can anyone help? Thanks! Much appreciated! I'm just someone who's wanting to know more about the game :) Xxx

-Jordan Dragonshard lv.80 Thaumaturge & Kelly Moonshard lv.42
I don't think there is a maximum critical rating you can achieve, but the rate, as Gemma said, boils down to a percentage.

This percentage determines the chance that you will see a critical "whoosh" happen. It has nothing to do with the "strength" of a critical (there is a mistaken notion going around that high critical ratings "overpower" block ratings).

So, having a higher rating means you will score more critical hits on average, but theoretically, any critical can be blocked if block chance is 100%. I don't think any gear combination currently exists that gives 100% block though.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Survivor
May 30, 2009
Survivor
Mar 03, 2012
The critical system is complicated and the critical percentage can always change as you level up. I am just going with the duelist's idea and if someone's block is higher than your critical, you will critical but they will block every time. That's just my idea

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Lucas Rain on Jun 19, 2014 wrote:
I don't think there is a maximum critical rating you can achieve, but the rate, as Gemma said, boils down to a percentage.

This percentage determines the chance that you will see a critical "whoosh" happen. It has nothing to do with the "strength" of a critical (there is a mistaken notion going around that high critical ratings "overpower" block ratings).

So, having a higher rating means you will score more critical hits on average, but theoretically, any critical can be blocked if block chance is 100%. I don't think any gear combination currently exists that gives 100% block though.
Actually, 1% block can be enough. Chance to block is Block%/Critical%, so any amount is enough if the random number generator rolls low for critical.