Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Am I using the ice school correctly?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 13, 2012
Okay, so now what I mean "Am I using the ice school correctly" is the fact I solo, don't taunt, have 25% universal damage, 12% universal resist, and all I really ask is, Am I using the Ice school correctly? I seem to be using it like the Fire school or Storm school, I was just curious if I used it correct as it's intention.
-Miranda Dreamsong lvl 43

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Whatever works :)

I don't think there is one "correct" way to play any school. When you are solo, you need to do whatever it takes, and since ice has high health but low damage, it makes sense to boost damage. I have seen Ice players make some very big hits, so that works.

The traditional "tank" role is natural if you are with a group and have others who can hit faster, but go with the flow & have fun.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Miranda Dreamsong on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
Okay, so now what I mean "Am I using the ice school correctly" is the fact I solo, don't taunt, have 25% universal damage, 12% universal resist, and all I really ask is, Am I using the Ice school correctly? I seem to be using it like the Fire school or Storm school, I was just curious if I used it correct as it's intention.
-Miranda Dreamsong lvl 43
There is really no wrong or right way to play any school. Everyone has their own style of play that makes them unique. Play in the style in which you are most comfortable and most successful.

The main purpose of taunt is to get the enemies to attack you, not your team members. In solo play there is no need for it. I have a level 100 ice wizard, and the only time I have used taunts was when I was playing the tank in a team.

There are many people that will stereotype each house. Life should only heal, ice should just tank, balance should stand back and blade, etc. personally, I play how I want. Yes, when in a team, I will do my best to support my team members when needed, but i will also play how I feel is best for the situation. When playing ice in a team, yes, I will tank, but I won't just sit there placing shield after shield, being used as a punching bag, while someone decides to use every blade and trap they have in order to get a 100,000 hit on a boss with only 20,000 health. If I feel I can do considerable damage or kill, then I will attack.

P.S. In my opinion, the crafted gear is best for ice.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
There is no right or wrong way to use a school. Want to make your Fire wizard a healer? If you can do it and make it work for you, that's fine.
Soloing is fine for Ice, because you can soak up a lot of damage that you couldn't with another school. Taunt would be useless for soloing, it makes stuff focus on you, but the only thing to focus on is you anyway. If you enter a battle first, everything focuses on you anway, so Taunt is not a terribly important spell.