Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Concerned parent and player

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
I am writing as both a parent and player. We have been encountering lots of people in jade gear in pvp. These people deliberately make matches go long forcing us to flee. If we care about rank, this hurts rank. It steals away the valuable time we allow for this game. I have allowed two people doing this to be reported in recent days. This may not be considered a legitimate reason, (even though they 'laugh' about what they are doing) if so I will not do again but must protest. KI can see we spend money and time with KI, but.....well I am quite angry after my own personal encounter with this issue a few moments ago. Do we stop doing pvp? Are there any plans to address jade gear in pvp, especially in 1v1?? If not I guess we stop pvp, which takes away a big element of the game. Maybe it's time for a break.

The match I reported a few moments ago did not end up going real long, simply because I stopped shielding or healing. I would flee, but again that hurts me and actually HELPS the other player, which is a gross injustice. Do you have any answers to these concerns?

This format does not allow adults to play over lunch breaks, and it for sure steers parents away from letting their children play. I do not want to call my child away for homework, dinner, etc etc only to hear "Dad I'm still in my first pvp match." It causes an argument-parent gets angry, child leaves desk angry for both having to leave and the frustrating time they just had in what is supposed to be a game for fun.

Now, I offer a suggestion to try to be constructive. I do not believe it is a new suggestion. Players should have the option to sign up for timed rank matches, like tournaments. We pick how long it will last based on times the game offers. Game decides winner if time expires (and for the love of Pete, review how game calculates that!! We tried a few tournaments and the people winning were the ones in jade who just healed and shielded, never hit once!!!). If you do nothing about jade and we are stuck fighting one, at least it will be for a shorter amount of time and we have the chance to still maybe win.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
To beat someone using Jade Gear:
  • Treasure card Infallible, which gives 20% pierce
  • Train a pet with armor piercing
  • Use spears (if available)
  • Use Shadow Shrike (if available)
  • Use gear that increases your critical rating to 400+ (if available)
  • Use damage over time combos
  • Use Doom & Gloom, Infection, Entangle to prevent healing

There are still more ways than what I listed.

The take-home message is this: make a good example for your kids and show them the best way to deal with your problems is to change the way you think, not complain that the system should be changed.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Jade gear is perfectly valid. Reporting someone for using a tactic you don't like or can't overcome is against the rules and may get YOU banned.

There are many ways to overcome opponents' resistance: Gear pierce, infallible, shadow shrike, & spears can cut through it, and Jade gear has no offensive stats, so counter-attacks are going to be weak.

Every game dynamic has a counter. Success comes from finding and using them. Please don't be one of those players who demands the game be changed every time they lose a match.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
I am a parent and player as well so I will respond. Jade gear has been addressed in the higher levels especially by Shadow Shrike. Shrike pierces the resist. There are other ways to pierce resist such as pierce gear and pierce blades. You could also place infection on the jade opponent to prevent giant heals. It may be that Jade is a problem that is too difficult to solve at your level and with your wizards school. This is a chance for your child to really use those problem solving skills. There are many great fan sites with great advice for pvp out there. See what you can learn and then decide weather to attack the ring with your new knowledge or level up a bit first. Either way, good luck and I hope to see you in the Spiral.

Amber Raven Song, Max Warlord

Explorer
Jun 06, 2013
Please do not ask for jade to be nerfed. Alot of us solo the game and do not PVP and need it at times in dungeons and boss fights. PVP takes time sometimes so I would plan my day where it could be fit in without hurting other plans.
I am an adult with a kid who plays and have no issues with jade. Just takes planning.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
MrFlin t on May 21, 2014 wrote:
I am writing as both a parent and player. We have been encountering lots of people in jade gear in pvp. These people deliberately make matches go long forcing us to flee. If we care about rank, this hurts rank. It steals away the valuable time we allow for this game. I have allowed two people doing this to be reported in recent days. This may not be considered a legitimate reason, (even though they 'laugh' about what they are doing) if so I will not do again but must protest. KI can see we spend money and time with KI, but.....well I am quite angry after my own personal encounter with this issue a few moments ago. Do we stop doing pvp? Are there any plans to address jade gear in pvp, especially in 1v1?? If not I guess we stop pvp, which takes away a big element of the game. Maybe it's time for a break.

The match I reported a few moments ago did not end up going real long, simply because I stopped shielding or healing. I would flee, but again that hurts me and actually HELPS the other player, which is a gross injustice. Do you have any answers to these concerns?

This format does not allow adults to play over lunch breaks, and it for sure steers parents away from letting their children play. I do not want to call my child away for homework, dinner, etc etc only to hear "Dad I'm still in my first pvp match." It causes an argument-parent gets angry, child leaves desk angry for both having to leave and the frustrating time they just had in what is supposed to be a game for fun.

Now, I offer a suggestion to try to be constructive. I do not believe it is a new suggestion. Players should have the option to sign up for timed rank matches, like tournaments. We pick how long it will last based on times the game offers. Game decides winner if time expires (and for the love of Pete, review how game calculates that!! We tried a few tournaments and the people winning were the ones in jade who just healed and shielded, never hit once!!!). If you do nothing about jade and we are stuck fighting one, at least it will be for a shorter amount of time and we have the chance to still maybe win.
I totally agree that jade turtle "trolls" (the kind that basically waits for you to flee, just using it for added defense I have no real issue with) are jerks. Don't report them, reports are only for chat and everything not banned is legal.

Explorer
Mar 29, 2010
Most of these responses deal with theory and not real life. Sure in an ideal world and on paper the stars align and everything gets set up just so, but how often does that really happen, and how often does that happen in a reasonable time frame? What responsible parent in their right mind would tell their child "let's put real life and responsibilities aside and 'problem solve' how to beat a situation where the math doesn't add ."?
KI has to look at TIME. Time is valuable, and if they expect parents to be comfortable playing this game with their children, KI has to treat TIME as valuable as crowns. If they're not willing to address this in pvp, then it's their loss. Right now in most situations with jade players and us going second we simply close the game. Hurts us, helps the jade player. Awesome.
I don't want jade nerfed in pve, we have much better control of how much time we spend in pve, but something has to be done about pvp. Is there a way to make jade gear automatically trigger being placed second? I don't know, but I've never seen a 'pleasant' pvp match in which someone is wearing jade.

Squire
May 10, 2013
MrFlin t on May 21, 2014 wrote:

Yes, I totally agree with you that Jade Gear can "ruin" PVP,
in fact I use Jade Gear.
It is against the terms of use to report someone for
"Unfair PVP."
Obviously its not fun for the one who lost,
but PVP is PVP.
Reporting someone for no offense won't tolerate anything on their account.
It may be result of banning your account.

There are so many ways to counter Jade Gear.
PVP requires a strategy. Make one for every school.
I'm still a level 17 sergeant, and I'm pretty good.
(Plz, don't 1v1 me, I don't take requests)