Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hello all Question about Crowns

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 09, 2014
Hello all my son asked me to see if he could play this game. I checked it out looks to be a good kids game. So I thought I would let him play and become a member.

Now my question.

Crowns I get is a type of money. Gold is another type of Money. My son is wanting a mount to ride in game, which I can understand. But your telling me that after I pay a membership fee for my son that he is limited to 75 crowns. He is very upset that he can't buy a mount. I as a parent and a gamer myself live on a budget, can't afford to purchase crowns for him to upgrade his gear for his toon. Plus pay a membership fee every month. In my opinion if you are a full member you should be totally unlock/not limited by anything. I get the progression thing, you have to work for things, but my son keeps telling me he can't get any more than 75 crowns I want to know why.

Thank you for your time and your help.

aka Zynite

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Zynite on Feb 27, 2014 wrote:
Hello all my son asked me to see if he could play this game. I checked it out looks to be a good kids game. So I thought I would let him play and become a member.

Now my question.

Crowns I get is a type of money. Gold is another type of Money. My son is wanting a mount to ride in game, which I can understand. But your telling me that after I pay a membership fee for my son that he is limited to 75 crowns. He is very upset that he can't buy a mount. I as a parent and a gamer myself live on a budget, can't afford to purchase crowns for him to upgrade his gear for his toon. Plus pay a membership fee every month. In my opinion if you are a full member you should be totally unlock/not limited by anything. I get the progression thing, you have to work for things, but my son keeps telling me he can't get any more than 75 crowns I want to know why.

aka Zynite
Crowns are something you must purchase with real money and load them, so to speak, into your account as Crowns to spend on Crown Items while in the game. You can not earn crowns by just playing the game you can only earn gold.

Gold is something you earn in the game as you go along. You can also amass gold by selling things you earned in the game as drops etc. and selling them at the Bazaar and shops. There are many things in the game that can be purchased with "Gold". Many fringes cost Crowns put are not necessary to actually play the game. As someone who has learned how to "work" the game I can usually have enough gold for a basic mount and then house by the time I am not to far into Krockatopia - the second world. I sell everything I don't need that I have earned questing, picked up reagents, seeds, treasure cards and low numbers pet snacks. Basic transportation is the broom, then you can save your way to the mount you like better like a dragon or popular cat mounts. The Playhouse from Wizard City is usually my first and only house for most of my wizards.

I have played the game for quite sometime now and have used very little crowns over that time. All my mounts I have gotten in the game are paid for in Gold not Crowns. I have many dragons, horses, cats and brooms all purchased with gold I earned in the game while questing.

The game is totally based around progression as to unlocking everything in the game world wise and levels of certain things like gear. You can port to other worlds to friends that have access but you will have to do your quests to unlock it so you can go there your self. If your child operates on the "cool factor" crowns are going to be begged for. If they are in it for the "stuff" and not serious about actually playing the game which our kids ended up doing then it's time for them to move on to another game.

In the end we all have to decide how much we can/will or can not/will not pay to play. The game can be played totally with out the use of Crowns but some would not enjoy it as much.

Mary

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Zynite on Feb 27, 2014 wrote:

Now my question.

aka Zynite
Hi there, and welcome to the boards!
Since Mary has covered most of it, I'd just like to add my 2 cents' worth.

All players get 75 crowns as a starter bonus, nothing more; gold is what's earned by questing, selling, etc. Items in the Crown shop are simply for fun, add-ons for those who can afford them; they are in no way required to progress in-game.

Even better news: many of the items in the crowns shop *can* be purchased for in-game gold. All but 2 of my wizards' houses, plus most of their mounts, and a few furniture items were all bought with gold; I buy Crowns for stitching gear, or if I want a specific item that's not available for gold, but that's usually it.

Gear upgrades can also be purchased at vendors or the Bazaar for in-game gold. Some of the low-level stuff is a little overpowered but, 9 times out of 10, in-game dropped or bought gear is far superior to the crowns stuff.

With that said, welcome aboard again, and enjoy the game!

-v.

Survivor
May 04, 2011
This Christmas they gave away free crowns and give away a lot of free stuff if you just look at the news, they do that a lot. But yeah, I can understand your problem. There is only like six mounts you can buy with gold, and they cost a fortune, so do the houses. You only start with 75, only enough to buy ONE polymorph, not the spell and not even two of them. If your a high lvl it takes less time to get gold but even then, it's pretty tough.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2011
Hi, welcome to wizard101
Gold is the in game money where you can earn questing, defeating bosses, and other stuff
Crowns you can purchase with real life money, to get stuff in the crown shop, each player starts with 75 crowns as a bonus.
Good luck :)