Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wysterian Magic

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 12, 2012
Remember when you were in Wysteria, and you were introduced to those interesting magic schools (Earth, Spirit, Ember, Frost, etc.)? Well, I think we should be able to train in it . Here's my idea of how it should work:

Learning/Training Points:

We already use training points for a lot of things (secondary Ravenwood magic, secondary Astral magic, and secondary Shadow magic). So I think for these Wysterian schools, we use something else. How about we use something called Learning Points? We get one every time we get a training point, unless it's from a training points quest. We get one from one of those NPCs in only mandatory worlds. Then there's the guy in Celestia who gives you training points, so since he gives three quests, the second one gives you a Learning one. Now we have five. Now we have six because of the second Zafarian training points quest. Now; we have eight because of four Avalon quests give by one person divided by two is two Learning points. And finally, we have a total of twenty-eight Learning points.

Your own equivalent:

Each of the Wysterian schools have an equivalent to the Ravenwood schools. For instance, Ember is Fire, Earth is Life, Spirit is Death, and so on. For your equivalent, you don't use Training or Learning Points but it still isn't free. Instead, we use gold. Just like gardening, we get to have fun earning it to have fun using it . All other spells from different Wysterian schools will cost you one Learning Point, and go into a special deck (read about decks later in this post).

Spells:
I will post the spells as a reply to this, because each school has nine spells you can learn inside the schoolhouse multiplied by seven schools. Spells quests will be to help you polish, mend, and help you be good at the spell you learned (these spells will be using a different technique than our spells, read about technique later in this post).

Decks:

These special decks are designed to help you remember the wand movement (read about technique in the next paragraph) for each spell. At the beginning of every round, you choose whether a) you use Ravenwood deck, or b) you use Wysterian deck. If you choose Wysterian deck, you type in the spell you want to use in a little search bar that pops up. Learned or not, it will only show spells you put in the deck. (Continued in technique).

Technique:

It will then show a card similar to the Ravenwood cards, and if you click on it, it will disappear and a watermark will appear on your screen with the wand movement in the main color for each school (red for fire, purple for storm, yellow for myth, etc.). You choose which enemy you wish to attack, and then do the movement by holding left mouse button. The size you do it in does not matter.

So, what do you think of it? Any comments or concerns as well as critiquing is welcome.

-Nathaniel Redflame, level 47

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
I'm sorry. I know that you put a lot of time and thought into those ideas, but KI would have to re-write the history of Wysteria if they used those ideas.

The Pigswick Papers explain that they do not teach magic in Wysteria. Details can be found in the dialogue from the quest:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Quest:The_Pigswick_Papers#tab=Quest_Dialogue

The Pigswick method ... teaches that students should be exposed only to theoretical discussion ...

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Very imaginative ideas, but they really wouldn't work into the game as it stands. There would be way too many spells in every school. Experienced players already only use a handful of their spells as it is. What you propose nearly doubles the spells available. More isn't always a better thing.

Defender
Aug 26, 2011
I have made a post somewhere about the Wysteria schools. however my idea was a little bit different:

instead of learning new spells, which is the main reason the idea tends to not be compatible with the game, all we do is learn different "skins" for our spells.
the example I have come up with was the troll spell. if you either are myth or have learned the troll spell or have a training point, you can go to the chaos school in pigswick and learn the alternate skin: "red cap" the way this would work is as follows:

so you now have both red cap and troll learned. and you have the starter deck which allows three copies of a spell. you may now put in either three red caps, three trolls, two red caps and one troll, one red cap and two trolls. they would read the same including damage, damage type. and they are still enchantable/dispelable/shieldable and resistible. this way it doesn't really affect your spells but it does mix things up a little bit. I'm sure you can think of many other variants, and this could even apply to quest spells, you'd just have to know the spell to learn the alternate pigswick spell.

Gabriel Ashcaller

Explorer
Jan 03, 2013
While these are good ideas I don't agree, every time you choose what spell to cast you're timed like 30 seconds or so. You wouldn't have enough time to cast it. Like what Alura said they don't teach magic anyways.

Tarlac Owldreamer level 35 Fire wizard

Delver
Aug 26, 2012
I just read the quest of the books. Maybe use this but in another school? Like maybe change the name of them to Mooshu spells or maybe Lost spells of Dragonspyre. It would be like a side world in Dragonspyre's past and there is where you learn the spells. I don't know just trying to find ways to save your work

Defender
Aug 12, 2012
Little Dragon Spar... on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
Remember when you were in Wysteria, and you were introduced to those interesting magic schools (Earth, Spirit, Ember, Frost, etc.)? Well, I think we should be able to train in it . Here's my idea of how it should work:

Learning/Training Points:

We already use training points for a lot of things (secondary Ravenwood magic, secondary Astral magic, and secondary Shadow magic). So I think for these Wysterian schools, we use something else. How about we use something called Learning Points? We get one every time we get a training point, unless it's from a training points quest. We get one from one of those NPCs in only mandatory worlds. Then there's the guy in Celestia who gives you training points, so since he gives three quests, the second one gives you a Learning one. Now we have five. Now we have six because of the second Zafarian training points quest. Now; we have eight because of four Avalon quests give by one person divided by two is two Learning points. And finally, we have a total of twenty-eight Learning points.

Your own equivalent:

Each of the Wysterian schools have an equivalent to the Ravenwood schools. For instance, Ember is Fire, Earth is Life, Spirit is Death, and so on. For your equivalent, you don't use Training or Learning Points but it still isn't free. Instead, we use gold. Just like gardening, we get to have fun earning it to have fun using it . All other spells from different Wysterian schools will cost you one Learning Point, and go into a special deck (read about decks later in this post).

Spells:
I will post the spells as a reply to this, because each school has nine spells you can learn inside the schoolhouse multiplied by seven schools. Spells quests will be to help you polish, mend, and help you be good at the spell you learned (these spells will be using a different technique than our spells, read about technique later in this post).

Decks:

These special decks are designed to help you remember the wand movement (read about technique in the next paragraph) for each spell. At the beginning of every round, you choose whether a) you use Ravenwood deck, or b) you use Wysterian deck. If you choose Wysterian deck, you type in the spell you want to use in a little search bar that pops up. Learned or not, it will only show spells you put in the deck. (Continued in technique).

Technique:

It will then show a card similar to the Ravenwood cards, and if you click on it, it will disappear and a watermark will appear on your screen with the wand movement in the main color for each school (red for fire, purple for storm, yellow for myth, etc.). You choose which enemy you wish to attack, and then do the movement by holding left mouse button. The size you do it in does not matter.

So, what do you think of it? Any comments or concerns as well as critiquing is welcome.

-Nathaniel Redflame, level 47
Ok, nvm. Let KI decide the spells :3