Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Those who focus go first!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 25, 2009
Ok, so I had a pretty cool idea recently. As most everyone knows, who goes first and second can majorly effect pvp matches to the point where it can get pretty unfair. The worst part about this is that whoever goes first or second is chosen by the game randomly. The person that goes second could be a better duelist, but since they go second, they have a huge disadvantage. The extra pip really does not help. However, I have found a solution to this issue - A new stat! Let's call it "focus" for now, I don't really have a better name for it at the moment. Basically, the the wizard with the highest focus would go first. In matches consisting of more than two wizards, it would work the same way, where priority goes in descending order of which wizard has the highest focus. I thought of this when I was thinking about what makes pvp so broken, and comparing it to Pokemon battles. Well, in Pokemon, the Pokemon with the highest speed goes first, so why wouldn't that work in wizard? In PvE, bosses and enemies would have a certain amount of focus based on their rank. Ideas, thoughts, comments? I want this thread to get Kingsisle's attention!

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Personally, I do not think this will work, but thanks for posting your suggestion. Good job thinking outside the box.

Hang with me on this, it's going to be a long way around the block for this one. If there is a focus statistic, it will
  1. have to come with gear, or
  2. come from special missions

Each of these is flawed and makes the focus statistic superfluous.

People with special gear shouldn't go first, since people who pay to play will run the market on this gear. Think about it this way: spend more crowns --> have access to more gold --> have higher likelihood of getting the special gear --> will always go before you in PvP

People who do special missions shouldn't go first, since again, people who pay to play will run the market on that feature: spend more crowns --> have access to more resources --> have higher likelihood of completing more special missions than you --> will always go before you in PvP

So no, I don't want to PvP and lose because someone pays more money than I do.

I believe a spell-based solution is more appropriate, and avoids giving more unfair advantages to people who pay more money. (That thread is here, if interested: https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/spell-to-change-who-goes-first-in-duels-8ad6a415407c1977014088784f986826)

Defender
Mar 08, 2013
TheBananaSlug on Dec 18, 2013 wrote:
Ok, so I had a pretty cool idea recently. As most everyone knows, who goes first and second can majorly effect pvp matches to the point where it can get pretty unfair. The worst part about this is that whoever goes first or second is chosen by the game randomly. The person that goes second could be a better duelist, but since they go second, they have a huge disadvantage. The extra pip really does not help. However, I have found a solution to this issue - A new stat! Let's call it "focus" for now, I don't really have a better name for it at the moment. Basically, the the wizard with the highest focus would go first. In matches consisting of more than two wizards, it would work the same way, where priority goes in descending order of which wizard has the highest focus. I thought of this when I was thinking about what makes pvp so broken, and comparing it to Pokemon battles. Well, in Pokemon, the Pokemon with the highest speed goes first, so why wouldn't that work in wizard? In PvE, bosses and enemies would have a certain amount of focus based on their rank. Ideas, thoughts, comments? I want this thread to get Kingsisle's attention!
I wouldn't say highest because crit and block don't work that way. It should still be random, but you have a higher chance to be first (like crit and block).

Survivor
Dec 06, 2011
Ultimately whatever method is used there will always be a possibility of the two opponents scoring equal on the decision of who goes first. Then the only way to resolve is by random choice. In that case you might as well just go with random from the outset.
I agree with your reasons for the suggestion, but there will never be a 'fair' way that pleases everyone. Far better to just leave it to chance and rely on players to build their decks so that first or second turn makes no difference. There are many, many ways to do this, get creative :)