Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is your opinion on ice wizards?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 09, 2010
Rumor has it that ice is overpowered. People are slowly growing fond of that rumor because their spells are made very weak, just a bit stronger then the school of .

Now, guys, I have to say this.. Ice has the most health, alot of the gear for ice is 600 or 400-500 added health, while has about 200.

Okay, so ice has alot of health. That is a big advantage for them. Now, their attacks naturally are pretty weak.
But they have an easy way to change that. VERY easy way..

So, an ice wizard has King Artorius in their deck. All they have to do is put a colossal on the spell, use a regular Iceblade along with a sharpened iceblade, balefrost and sleet storm..
The attack will deal 17,500 damage tops with only 5 assistances.

What do you guys think? Do you believe is an overpowered school? Reply with your opinions..

Delver
Aug 26, 2012
DavidaIceBladeXO on Nov 30, 2013 wrote:
Rumor has it that ice is overpowered. People are slowly growing fond of that rumor because their spells are made very weak, just a bit stronger then the school of .

Now, guys, I have to say this.. Ice has the most health, alot of the gear for ice is 600 or 400-500 added health, while has about 200.

Okay, so ice has alot of health. That is a big advantage for them. Now, their attacks naturally are pretty weak.

So, an ice wizard has King Artorius in their deck. All they have to do is put a colossal on the spell, use a regular Iceblade along with a sharpened iceblade, balefrost and sleet storm..

What do you guys think? Do you believe is an overpowered school? Reply with your opinions..
Well want a lot of health well get an ice wizard. Why do you get a storm wizard if you want health? Besides the strategy for storm to kill, is kill fast. The king artorious spell costs a bunch of pips plus the other boosts then need to have. What if there spell fizzles? YOU get another chance. Or your just not being balanced enough. Critical is nothing if you don't have power pips cause most of the spells by lvl 50 require power pips or you'll get killed very fast. Or try out different strategies. Just try it out

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Ice is overpowered because of it's high health PLUS resist. It has more universal resist and health than any other school. Their spells aren't really as weak as people like to say. It's the health and being able to resist all and being immune to multiple schools at once that makes them overpowered.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Quite frankly, I don't think Ice is overpowered or underpowered, I think it's just fine as is. There are now ways around uber resist and Jade gear, so I don't see much of a problem with that. Their attacks are easily blocked and healed off and they're okay in PvE.

Speaking as a mid-level Ice wizard and Promethean Diviner, I see Ice as neither good or bad. It just is. If you know how to play your cards there are ways to defeat Thaumaturges and the same goes in reverse for Thaumaturges.

Survivor
Oct 09, 2010
Luke Skysleeper on Nov 30, 2013 wrote:
Well want a lot of health well get an ice wizard. Why do you get a storm wizard if you want health? Besides the strategy for storm to kill, is kill fast. The king artorious spell costs a bunch of pips plus the other boosts then need to have. What if there spell fizzles? YOU get another chance. Or your just not being balanced enough. Critical is nothing if you don't have power pips cause most of the spells by lvl 50 require power pips or you'll get killed very fast. Or try out different strategies. Just try it out
Um. King Artorious is only eight pips. And Ice barely ever fizzles.

Delver
Aug 26, 2012
DavidaIceBladeXO on Dec 1, 2013 wrote:
Yeah 4 rounds you get to attack, more if its only normal pips. And there is always a chance any kind of spell can fizzle, and that is a universal problemo

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
DavidaIceBladeXO on Dec 1, 2013 wrote:
Ice, unaided, has only an 80% success rate. Ice fizzles. A lot. Hence the high health.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2012
I am very offended by this I love being a ice wizard and I am level 17 . When you join if your an a ice wizard you have 500 life if your a storm wizard when you join notice you have 100 life less Ice wizards can stun there enimies the spell you get from Ambrose after you enroll . Ice can fizzle but so does fire ice fizzles the least or the middle . When you get used to be an ice wizard you will love it!
-Erin Ice Heart

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011

There has been a lot of talk about Ice being overpowered for a very very long time, so what you are saying is nothing new.

Each school has their own strengths and weaknesses. It's like comparing apples to oranges (gee, I just mentioned this in another post about Ice being overpowered).

Health & resist = Defense (Ice)
Damage & Critical & Accuracy = Offense (Storm + others)

Accuracy? For Storm? Yeah. Storm can get a crazy amount of accuracy from gear, along with critical and huge amounts of damage boosts.

Ice doesn't.

End of story

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
When I hear ice, I think of insane resists, high health, and tower shield. Oh boy tower shield annoys me so much ...... Just happens to be my least favorite school ...... I don't HATE it, I like it I suppose. I don't hate any schools though ....... Ice isn't for me, I like to be able to kill my enemies fast like . Sure ice has awesome defense but I prefer doing the damage rather than taking it. Don't get me wrong Is a great school, but all those complaints about their high resists in pvp makes me think that's all Can do. Not true don't be offended Wizard, you're a good school . It's just not for me ..... When I took the quiz in the beginning it said I was .

Survivor
Apr 20, 2013
I do have an Ice Wizard, but he's at only level 65 so I can't staple my opinion for sure. But ...

Ice maybe a bit, just a bit, overpowered. But it's not that every Ice wizard would be. I've seen videos on the Internet of high-leveled Ice Wizards soloing hard bosses, and at once point a full-punched Stormzilla dealt merely 200 points of damage from resist alone. That means this wizard, which claimed to be at level 90, had a resist percentage of almost 80% for Storm attacks.

But to achieve that insane amount of resist, I doubt it comes cheap. The so-called "Immortal Ice Wizards" are what they are claimed to be "overpowered" mostly because of their gear.

And such gear which provides enough resistance on you so that it's basically like having a school-specific shield on you at all times does not come cheap. A lot of the powerful gear comes from very lucky people with Hoard Packs, people who crash their money on Crowns to buy or earn exclusive gear, people who are plain ready to spend a lot on the game or have a lot of luck.
A lot of the very powerful gear comes from drops from very hard bosses, in which farming from would probably drive me insane. In other words, an Ice Wizard won't become immortal and untouchable on default. You'd have to drive yourself broke, insane, and/or both to get the proper gear to boost your resist to such high levels.

Because last time I checked, the most expensive and high-leveled gear that you can possibly buy from the Bazaar provided only about 8-12 resist. Just my two cents!

Survivor
Jul 06, 2012
I wouldn't say that it's overpowered. The point of ice is to take all of the damage and not really focus on attaking (that's why Mortis gives ice wizards taunt),

Victoria Legend FlameLv.84

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
k, so a lot of people will probably hate me after this post, but i have legit arguments for both sides.

1) yes, ice is overpowered;

i have a master thaumaturge and an archmage diviner; until my storm wizard hit level 89, they were pretty even, stat-wise. some of the more-obvious ones:

health:

level 40 ice: 2600
level 88 storm: 2800

resist:

level 40 ice: 18%
level 88 storm: 26% your average storm wizard does not have my stats. so, though they're superior to other diviners' stats, they're still a joke compared to ice's massive (and unneeded) health and resist, which ki continues to give them more and more of, with every update.

by level 80, my ice wizard will have 50% or more universal resist, immunity to 2 schools, and 6000 health.
sure, one may argue that storm has higher damage/critical, blah blah. but people get stuck on that andassumethat we can't possibly need anything else.

yes, we have critical, but everything past celestia blocks it; it's not even worth it to have, at the upper levels. by the same token, you don't need damage when you have that much health; yet storm's firepower has found its way to ice, yet we get none of their defense, when we're the ones who need it most.

yes, every school has its strength and weaknesses. and i understand a "tank" class, but this is ridiculous.

(worth noting: i did a little experiment in an azteca boss dungeon, and my ice wizard survived longer than storm did... without block or advanced stats.)

2) leave ice alone, kthanksbye.

that all said... as much as i am firmly planted in the "ice is overpowered" camp, i also find it worth mentioning that i am not in support of "rounding out" the schools.

i am, however, in support of no school being left behind. balance and storm, in particular, have suffered since level 50; their base stats are awful, with no good way to make them better.

/rant.

haters gonna hate.
-von

Defender
Jul 02, 2009

Oh heck no!! Ice is NOT op. Ice is made to be the tank school, the juggernauts of the wizard army. Starting off, their spells are relatively low in damage, because they aren't made to focus on damage, at least not at first. Thaumaturges get their ice blades at lvl 40, and still lack good boosts until sun school enchants. Their gear gives good hp and block to further increase armor. You should try ice, cause if you can't beat 'em, then join 'em!

Survivor
Feb 02, 2013
i'm a wizard and i find it so annoying that the spells are so weak, but someone told me that a ice wizard with a storm secondary school would be super powerful. and i'd like to say that we don't get a blade till level 37. if we didn't have more health then we wouldn't last long. just saying.
olivia storyflame.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
Regarding this as a pvp issue, ice is a joke now. Now its balance, Fire, and death that are leading the pack with ice at 4rth or 5th. Though levels 70-80 Ice is the most dominant school, It needs a buff to soak damage at higher levels.

Explorer
Nov 11, 2012
To be honest...Ice is no big deal...its only good cause of high health, resist, and stats....my ice friend has 6,000 health I have 5,010 if you want high health and resist and "nice" gear be ice but it doesnt do any real high damage...A lot of people used to think ice was the best school to choose but in reality it just another school I think death, life and balance are better. High health and high resist is not everything on the game. There is more to it than who has better health and resist..

Delver
Mar 07, 2012
  • Healthy Health. Ice wizards have naturally high health. At Wizard101 Central, the have this health chart: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Level_Chart At level 95 ice wizards have a total of 3426 health, storm ( the school with the lowest health ) has a base of 1935 at level 95. Big difference. At level 47 ice wizards already have a base of 1932.
  • Attacking, no. Ice wizards have naturally low attacks. They are the tanks, that's why the taunt spells are for ice wizards. I mean, ice wizards are capable of doing a lot of damage, but setting up all those blades and traps are time consuming, while their true jobs are tanking.
  • The power of resistance. Ice wizards have naturally high resist. Okay, ice has a LOT of resistance.They can easily have more or less of 50% universal resist by level 60. That makes them practically invincible to all forces of damage.
  • Let's just say. I agree, ice is a very powerful school when it comes to being safe and alive. However, their attacks aren't as strong as other schools. Ice is just a school with good health and low attacks.
  • Balanced out. All the schools are balanced to make sure none are stronger then the other.Life has healing abilities and the second highest health. ( nearer the end of the levels, life comes out with more base health then balance ) Storm has strong attacks, but the lowest health. Fire has DoTs, good attacks and an average health. Balance has a mixture of just about everything. Myth has minions, average attacks and health. Death is a damage and heal school, same average health and attack. Ice is the tank, the most health, but the lowest damage,

~ Vanessa Rainbowpetal, level 50 theurgist

Survivor
Jun 26, 2011
There have been some very strange things happening to Wizards these days. Many people have chose ice as there school. So I just joined and I am on level five. I look way cooler than you would think. :) Anyways... I was walking down unicorn way and every person I saw was ice! In the description it said they are weaker when attacking. But I chose Life. many people think it's about weak or Being the strongest. But really it's not about that. It's all about saving wizard city.

Yours Truly,

RowanSwiftRunner

Explorer
Feb 16, 2011
You do know that Life attack spells are stronger than Ice right? take a look at the damage they do and compare them.

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
Keena0823 on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
To be honest...Ice is no big deal...its only good cause of high health, resist, and stats....my ice friend has 6,000 health I have 5,010 if you want high health and resist and "nice" gear be ice but it doesnt do any real high damage...A lot of people used to think ice was the best school to choose but in reality it just another school I think death, life and balance are better. High health and high resist is not everything on the game. There is more to it than who has better health and resist..

Chill please. Not everything has to do with damage either.