Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

suggestions needed on how to use wraith

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 09, 2013
Hi All

my level 42 necromancer has just been given a wraith spell. While it appears to be a stronger version of vampire, the amount of pips required has really given me a headache. This is my first wizard on the game.

So far, I've managed to save up 9 training points.

My problem is while i'm waiting for enough pips to use wraith in battles against monsters, i am open to attacks from them. After i have tried to increase gold pip percentage with gears, it still hovers at around 51 percent which is leaving a lot to chance, and I'm a little reluctant to sacrifice my hp further for gears with better gold pip percentage (my current hp is 2120).

1. Should I spend my learning points to train tower shield? This should take 5 points and i could get a twin storm - fire shield on the way. With tower shield, I could perhaps defend myself better?

2. Some say i could get a specific school shield from a trainer in wizard city fairground. Each shield would cost only 1 training point. Should i get just 1 or 2 of them instead of tower shield? As a necromancer who does life as a secondary, I've already got death, life and myth shields.

3. Or perhaps, should I ditch the whole shielding plan and opt for better healing spells like satyr? it would be only a few training points to there since i have already got a sprite.

I would very much appreciate any inputs on this. Thanks a lot.

Zachary Crow master necromancer

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
I have a level 90 wizard, and I would strongly recommend training in the school of up to and including tower shield. It is also not a bad idea, as training points become available, to train in the school of up to and including Satyr.

Belgrim Anvil Lv 30

Belgrim BoomHammer Lv 90

Belgrim Dust Lv 90

Begrim Emeraldbane Lv 90

Belgrim Fist Lv 90

William Wildweaver Lv 90

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
Hello, I am also a Necromancer (At least my main character is) When I got wraith I was, really, really happy, It helped so so so much, It seems you're having a little trouble and I would be very glad to help!
So What I did back then was, I would continue using Vampire and Skeleton, If you buy the weak extra damage things from bazaar they are really useful, I believe they are found in myth section, and that one of them is called Tough? Well yes, now to continue, use those until you have a good resist or until your sure you can live long enough to use Wraith, but I would keep a wraith card in there just incase if you get a lucky string of pips. It's what I did, Hope you like it too, As for the training points, Use them for ONLY Tower shields, You get heals from hits like vampire and such, You will understand in the future when you unlock sun spells!
Well hope this helped in anyway
Level 90 Miguel (PvP Veteran)
Level 90Miguel (PvP Warlord)
Level 40Miguel (PvP Knight)

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I would train ice up to tower shield.

If you don't have a wand that gives an extra power pip at start of battle, I would suggest you get one. That will allow you to cast the spell quicker.

I do have a death wizard, but it never felt the need to train any healing spells. I do keep a few pixies in my deck for emergencies. I also add a few unicorn and satyr treasure cards to heal team members.

As you progress through the game, you will gain more training points. You can use those training points for the sun school spells when you get to Celestia, Zafaria, and Azteca.

Explorer
Nov 11, 2012
Well for one the first time you get the wraith spell its going to seem for pips to take forever to cast the spell...I say satyr may come handy because when your waiting to attack and open to hits and high damage it is good to shield up and blade up as much as you can.
Also, gear with good resist helps alot, even if its low resist it can help even a little. Choose whats best because we as death students can attack and heal at the same time I say plan ahead in your battles especially when using wraith with good blades, traps, and feint you can do well over a thousand damage especially if your fighting life and myth.
but i say choose Satyr since is your second school I am level 84 and i trained as well. I didnt train tower shield and have done well in battles without it. Even though I have had friends cast it own me during battle and it also helps when low on health and pips are acting crazy. Train satyr cause it will come in handy when pips are not cooperating, and shields are not showing up. So when your waiting on pips for wraith...blades, shield up, feint, and elemental blades. :] (If you do train for shields i prefer get storm and fire...storm does very high damage and it will help in the long run)

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
I'm a level 47, (SO CLOSE!) But that's beside the point, me, I'm just patient. I trained as my second school, and I just try to be patient, of course, if you're waiting too long, and you're already missing way more health then drains can give, I still keep Sacrifice and Pixie around for emergencies.

Survivor
Sep 15, 2009
I don't think using up all those training points to get tower shield is necessary. I'd definitely recommend trying to up your power pip chance by getting some good gear, (the bazaar usually has good stuff, or you can farm mount olympus.) I would suggest casting sprite early on, and then save up pips during the next three rounds by casting zero pip spells (shields, blades, etc.) After you have quite a few pips, do a powerful spell, like wraith, and then repeat this cycle. Obviously this won't work for every single battle, but using this basic strategy should help. Keep spells like vampire in your deck in case of emergency, though. I hope this helped!

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
I would ask you if you are using the Pip building turns to cast Wraith for boosting damage or to defend yourself against attacks? You could be placing Deathblade, and/or additional traps to your intended target. These will increase the damage and healing of Wraith.

Niles, the Balance tree in Krokotopia offers you additional Death damage boosting in the form of Spirit Blade and Spirit Trap which will both cost you training points to learn.

Check your gear out. Is it on par with your level? Are you aware that some "wands" give you an additional Pip on your first turn in a duel? This would help you cast Wraith quicker. Perhaps do some research on Pets and Dungeons for something desirable to "farm" and test your luck in acquiring it.

To your 3 questions of spending Training points on Tower Shield, specific shields for specific schools, or Satyr? That is for you to decide. Noone knows your play style better than you

Are you a defensive player? Do you get panicky when you lose more than half your health in a duel? Do you mind taking those extra turns in a duel placing shields instead of going on the offensive? If you choose not to spend crowns now on a "Mastery" amulet, are you comfortable using Pips for spells outside of your Main school like Satyr?

Please don't forget that at level 50 you will be eligible for the Astral School spells which boost your accuracy/damage and require training points to learn. I wouldn't get to hung up on burning all your points on shields and secondary schools just yet .

Best of luck to you, and I hope I helped you out.

Gabriel

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
zksr on Nov 12, 2013 wrote:
Hi All

my level 42 necromancer has just been given a wraith spell. While it appears to be a stronger version of vampire, the amount of pips required has really given me a headache. This is my first wizard on the game.

My problem is while i'm waiting for enough pips to use wraith in battles against monsters, i am open to attacks from them. After i have tried to increase gold pip percentage with gears, it still hovers at around 51 percent which is leaving a lot to chance, and I'm a little reluctant to sacrifice my hp further for gears with better gold pip percentage (my current hp is 2120).

1. Should I spend my learning points to train tower shield? This should take 5 points and i could get a twin storm - fire shield on the way. With tower shield, I could perhaps defend myself better?

2. Some say i could get a specific school shield from a trainer in wizard city fairground. Each shield would cost only 1 training point. Should i get just 1 or 2 of them instead of tower shield? As a necromancer who does life as a secondary, I've already got death, life and myth shields.

3. Or perhaps, should I ditch the whole shielding plan and opt for better healing spells like satyr? it would be only a few training points to there since i have already got a sprite.

Hi there!

As a level 90 necromancer, here are my answers to your questions, in order:

1. Nope, waste of points~ there are treasure cards for that;
2. Nope, still a waste of points. See above.
3. Still no, still a waste.You don't need healing: that's what your drain spells are for.

My suggestion: save your training points for the Sun and Star spells. They are available to wizards level 52 and higher, and they will greatly enhance your school spells (like your wraith)~ in the meantime, you can buy Monstrous and Tough treasure cards at the Bazaar: these will boost your spell's power.

My turn to ask questions:

1) Your stats sound pretty normal for your level~ what gear are you wearing?

2) Do you have a pet with stat-boosting talents? If not, you may want to look into hatching for one (hatches are random and you may not get one right away).

3) What's in your deck? Always pack light; put in only what you need, and no more. If you play your cards right (pun intended), battles should be a breeze for you.

Hope this helps!

-von
aka Valerian Deathwhisper, level 90

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
Hi All

Tower shields are good as they can protect from everyone. While you are saving those pips get yourself bladed and trap your targets with the zero pip traps and blades, then you use the Wraith it will do more damage and heal you more. I use my Wraith all the time and rarely need to heal in the process. Perhaps planing some better global resistance in your gear will help with the damage loss while you wait. I have a life wizard and several that are life secondary and I have found that I almost never have to heal my death friends as their Wraith or Scarecrow spells keep them full of health. When my death was younger I got her a Scarecrow pet via hatching that also heals her and she rarely has any problems staying alive as long as the boss she is fighting is reasonable, lol. Also until you get them, using the 'Fist' treasure cards like Gargantuan to really increase the amount your Wraith will do.
I hope this helps you and that I haven't confused you.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Dr Von on Nov 13, 2013 wrote:
Hi there!

As a level 90 necromancer, here are my answers to your questions, in order:

1. Nope, waste of points~ there are treasure cards for that;
2. Nope, still a waste of points. See above.
3. Still no, still a waste.You don't need healing: that's what your drain spells are for.

My suggestion: save your training points for the Sun and Star spells. They are available to wizards level 52 and higher, and they will greatly enhance your school spells (like your wraith)~ in the meantime, you can buy Monstrous and Tough treasure cards at the Bazaar: these will boost your spell's power.

My turn to ask questions:

1) Your stats sound pretty normal for your level~ what gear are you wearing?

2) Do you have a pet with stat-boosting talents? If not, you may want to look into hatching for one (hatches are random and you may not get one right away).

3) What's in your deck? Always pack light; put in only what you need, and no more. If you play your cards right (pun intended), battles should be a breeze for you.

Hope this helps!

-von
aka Valerian Deathwhisper, level 90
I agree 100% with your answers. My Death wizard hasn't trained one Ice spell and soloed The Final Countdown thanks to Wraith and Scarecrow.

Survivor
Oct 09, 2013
Hi

Thanks a lot everyone for your valuable suggestions. I've been experimenting the wraith spell for a day now and, as it turned out, blade + trap + sky iron hasta + tower shield amulet + sprite combo still helped my wizard survive street battles and a few easier bosses in mooshu.

His health was generally reduced one fourth on a street battle, and a little lower against less powerful bosses.
The wraith spell, as many of you guys have pointed out, becomes more and more useful in my eyes the longer i have used it.

i know my battle skills are quite poor at the moment, and I'm still learning new aspects of death spells almost on a daily basis. I've been in this game for a month now and the game itself has never stopped amazing me.

Also, thanks a lot for some of you who have suggested i might need to find/farm better gears (or even pets). I have made it a habit to visit wizard city bazaar twice a day (when first logging in and, later, off) so i hope to find something more useful in the near future.

Thanks again and I'm glad i decided to post my question here. Your suggestions have been really helpful! Tnx!

Zachary Crow lvl 42 Necromancer

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Hi All

What I did on my Death was to carry ONLY those spells that would heal me. This way, every single time I attacked I would get healed. In your case, I would say bring Vampire and Wraith. If you have the Death School wand, you can use the 0pip attack spells while building pips and still attacking every round. Don't forget to use your Death blades/traps (whichever is your preferred method) for free damage boosting (which if you only use life sapping spells, will also increase your healing as well).

So, what I did, was build my deck around the following:
Level 05 - 15 Ghoul
Level 16 - 41 Ghoul and Vampire
Level 42 - 47 Wraith and Vampire
Level 48 - 67 Wraith and Scarecrow
Level 68 - 90 Dr Von's and Scarecrow (I'm not maxed yet, but there's no other spells after Dr Von's for Hit and Heal).

If you use only those spells at those levels, you get good attacks and healing, especially when combined with Deathblade

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
I do exactly what Dayerider suggested. I have only 2 options of damage; either ST + Heal, or AE + Heal along with Blade/Trap spells. There is really no reason to load any other death spell as this is the main strength of a Death school wizard.

ST = Single Target
AE = Area Effect, as in multiple targets hit at the same time.
Gabriel Level 70

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
zksr on Nov 13, 2013 wrote:
Hi

Thanks a lot everyone for your valuable suggestions. I've been experimenting the wraith spell for a day now and, as it turned out, blade + trap + sky iron hasta + tower shield amulet + sprite combo still helped my wizard survive street battles and a few easier bosses in mooshu.

His health was generally reduced one fourth on a street battle, and a little lower against less powerful bosses.
The wraith spell, as many of you guys have pointed out, becomes more and more useful in my eyes the longer i have used it.

i know my battle skills are quite poor at the moment, and I'm still learning new aspects of death spells almost on a daily basis. I've been in this game for a month now and the game itself has never stopped amazing me.

Also, thanks a lot for some of you who have suggested i might need to find/farm better gears (or even pets). I have made it a habit to visit wizard city bazaar twice a day (when first logging in and, later, off) so i hope to find something more useful in the near future.

Thanks again and I'm glad i decided to post my question here. Your suggestions have been really helpful! Tnx!

Zachary Crow lvl 42 Necromancer
You are more than welcome. It is what we are here for.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Dayerider's strategy is pretty spot-on.

Each school has its own unique nuances. Death was my second wizard and, because I was new to gaming at that point,he was level 50 before I figured out how to maximize his awesomeness. Here's my go-to setup:

level 50-59

1 deathblade
1 spirit blade
1 pet blade
1 strong/monstrous
1 scarecrow
1 reshuffle

level 60-79

1 deathblade
1 spirit blade
1 pet blade
1 amulet blade
1 gargantuan/colossal
1 scarecrow
1 reshuffle

add an extra colossal (or whatev) + Dr. Von's monster for bosses.

level 80-85

1 deathblade
1 spirit blade
1 pet blade
1 amulet blade
1 colossal
1 scarecrow
1 reshuffle

add an extra colossal (or whatev) + Dr. Von's monster for bosses.

level 86+

1 deathblade
1 spirit blade
1 pet blade
1 amulet blade
1 scarecrow
1 avenging fossil
1 virulence aura
1 reshuffle
2 sharpened blade
2 colossal

for bosses: add an extra colossal + Dr. Von's monster
treasure cards: shatter, cleanse charm, and tower shields.

There. It's practically foolproof (mostly).

-von,
promethean something or other.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Dr Von's strategy is more compact than mine is. I run with:

6 Colossal
6 Sharpened Blade
8 Deathblade
3 Dr Von's
3 Scarecrow
2 Reshuffle
5 Malduit (depending)
2 Deathblade (item card)

I'm sure I could pare it down some more, but this is what I feel comfortable with so far and it's worked very well. For the most part, I do:

Sharpened Deathblade + Deathblade + Item card Deathblade + Colossal + Crow/Dr Von's as needed.

This will usually beat out most things very well. once any minions are dead, I just stack up for Dr Von's with 3 blades and it doesn't take much more than that

Survivor
Oct 09, 2013
Hi guys

I really don't know how to thank you all enough for your suggestions. They've given me more knowledge than I could have ever found out myself.

I will plan carefully from this point on based on your suggestions.

Zacharie Crow, a very Happy lvl42 necromancer.