Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Maybe A Little Cheaper?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 21, 2013
When I see people with crowns gear, I usually rage. Especially in PvP. All you need is some WaterWorks gear or Bazaar gear. You also don't need minions or crowns pets or crowns only mounts. Just buy 50,000 Gold worth of a broomstick, and you have a fast alternative to walking.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
I am sorry and I feel bad too, but this is how the game gets money.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Alexander Moonwalk... on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
i love wizard101 it's addicting and really fun to play.

I know that over half the players in this game have been forced to stop playing because they cant afford the membership and the crowns. I mean $10 for 1 month is just too expensive. Even the crowns are too expensive. Considering you need henchmen for every spell quest you do by the time you finish you'll be broke.

The cost for 1 year of playing is $120. I'm sure no one would like to pay that much on a game.

I've heard of a mute which lasts for 10 years! That's insane no one would play this game for 10 years. Everyone would have moved on with their lives and think of this game as a memory.

Share your opinions. Please reduce the prices or eventually there will be no one left playing this game.
I partly agree with you.
They could take it downs notch. I had a six month (and then I got a tear, so I guess I have an 18 month sub) and it cost 50$! That is too much money.
As for the 10 year mute, I disagree. Unless if you do something very inappropriate or mean, then you should be good. And the people who get the mute deserve it. And, since it is partially rare, not many people will get this and many people who will continue to become addicted.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Fiona WildFlame on Nov 22, 2013 wrote:
How do you know how much money KI has? Have you seen annual statements or their balance sheet? Until you've ran a business you have no idea how much you pay out in overhead, so you shouldn't make that kind of assumption.

On another note, it seems that there are a lot of young people complaining in this thread about the cost of Wizard101. Have you tried to make money on your own to purchase what you want instead of putting it on your parents? I tell you what, I've been trying to find a kid to shovel snow and mow my yard (and I pay well - $20 for less than an hour's work) and it is impossible to find someone who will actually stick with it. I started babysitting at 12 then worked my way up to busing tables, retail, etc. all the way through college and there was very little my parents had to buy for me other than school clothes and other essentials. I've filed a W-2 since the age of 14.

And before you say there isn't a way for you to make money, how hard have you tried?
Bravo! Well said. If you are old enough to play this game, you are old enough to to do enough odd jobs to earn $10 a month or save $60 for a year membership. If my kids want a new game they have a few choices. Wait for their B-day or Xmas, or buy it themselves. They usually choose to buy it themselves. It's not a huge amount of money, mow a few lawns or rake some leaves or shovel snow.

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
Fiona WildFlame on Nov 22, 2013 wrote:
How do you know how much money KI has? Have you seen annual statements or their balance sheet? Until you've ran a business you have no idea how much you pay out in overhead, so you shouldn't make that kind of assumption.

On another note, it seems that there are a lot of young people complaining in this thread about the cost of Wizard101. Have you tried to make money on your own to purchase what you want instead of putting it on your parents? I tell you what, I've been trying to find a kid to shovel snow and mow my yard (and I pay well - $20 for less than an hour's work) and it is impossible to find someone who will actually stick with it. I started babysitting at 12 then worked my way up to busing tables, retail, etc. all the way through college and there was very little my parents had to buy for me other than school clothes and other essentials. I've filed a W-2 since the age of 14.

And before you say there isn't a way for you to make money, how hard have you tried?
I understand you, but i am a kid and i can't just go out and make money. I don't get a weekly allowance, and even if i did, what about college money? I am in training a lot, so i can't find a job, (and obviously, i find time to play wizard101 :D) But really, your making it sound like i need a job. My parents will eventually hand the wizard101 bills to my account, after college, but you need to calm down and think about those who can't pay.

I hope you understand!!!

~Angela Gem 75

Survivor
Jan 03, 2013
KKoop3 on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
I have soloed every spell quest so far, FYI. I never EVER use henchman for anything. I never feel the need for crowns anyways. If you don't like the price of crowns, don't buy them. As for themembership, it is a mite overpriced, but if you buy it for six or twelve months, you get it for a MUCH cheaper rate. Also, KI needs some way to pay their huge (and amazing) staff.
I totally agree with you. Like you said, there's really no need for henchmen,
and KI also needs to pay their staff.

-

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Angela Gem on Nov 24, 2013 wrote:
I understand you, but i am a kid and i can't just go out and make money. I don't get a weekly allowance, and even if i did, what about college money? I am in training a lot, so i can't find a job, (and obviously, i find time to play wizard101 :D) But really, your making it sound like i need a job. My parents will eventually hand the wizard101 bills to my account, after college, but you need to calm down and think about those who can't pay.

I hope you understand!!!

~Angela Gem 75
From the tone of your post, I'm guessing you're at least 10, possibly in your early teens. Depending on where you live, you may be able to get a part-time job, even if it's shoveling snow or walking dogs or a babysitting gig once a week.

Growing up, my mom was a single parent. We had no spare cash for luxuries, so I didn't get much of an allowance.. maybe $5-10 per month, if Mom got a bonus at work of something. If I wanted anything, I had to buy it myself, so I started babysitting my neighbour's kids when I was 12. By 14, I was working full-time every summer, so that I could buy my own stuff.

If you want something badly enough, you'll do whatever it takes to get it. Ask your parents for something small to start, like $2 a week to take out the garbage. It isn't a lot, but it will a) show them that you're willing to work for it, and b) teach you how to budget, both of which will give you a huge head start when you're older. And I'm sure your parents will appreciate you being mature and responsible enough to start the conversation. :)

Good luck!

-von

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
Zebulous Newt on Nov 8, 2013 wrote:
You assume they keep it all in bank accounts accruing interest. Or you think they all have mansions, and fancy cars. That they throw parties every weekend. Foolish thoughts to think.

The company pays animators, programmers, level and monster designers, and voice actors. Would you like to be a voice actor constantly looking for cartoons, games, or animated movies competing with other voice actors trying to make a living? Then when you get a semi stable gig for an mmo, you find out you are getting a pay cut because players demand the company lowers its prices. Com'on! They have so many people on their payrole and all of them need to get paid.
Those "profits" the company makes? they go to the investors, Money from investors is a long term loan with interest. KI is not debt free, as you have been assuming. They owe a heck of a lot of money to people and companies. They owe it with interest. If they don't pay enough on time, legal action ensues. If enough of the investors get fed up, the investors shut down the game by legal means.

Happened to Trickster Online USA, the players thought everything was fine, then suddenly, it is announced that game was closing in a month. Wasn't making enough money so the investors decided to cash it out.

I would much rather pay a higher premium to keep all my virtual items intact, rather than lose it all, like I did in that other game.
Well sir, half the assumptions you said I made you had assumed yourself. Kingsisle is making a lot of money, and you have to admit that's true. With about fifty million players, many of them paying, I think Kingsisle can lower prices. Toontown worked off of only player subscription fee and lived for a decade! Yes, it was cheaper, but I refuse to pay twenty five dollars for a stupid ,punt. If Kingsisle cared for their players they would lower crowns amounts.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Alexander Moonwalk... on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
i love wizard101 it's addicting and really fun to play.

I know that over half the players in this game have been forced to stop playing because they cant afford the membership and the crowns. I mean $10 for 1 month is just too expensive. Even the crowns are too expensive. Considering you need henchmen for every spell quest you do by the time you finish you'll be broke.

The cost for 1 year of playing is $120. I'm sure no one would like to pay that much on a game.

I've heard of a mute which lasts for 10 years! That's insane no one would play this game for 10 years. Everyone would have moved on with their lives and think of this game as a memory.

Share your opinions. Please reduce the prices or eventually there will be no one left playing this game.
You do not need henchmen for any, let alone every, spell quest. All you need is the right equipment and strategy.

I just renewed my membership, and this is what I think about the prices. It is nowhere close to $120, if you are going to pay for 12 months, don't pay for 1 month x 12, get the 12 month membership. Not only that but get it when there is a promotion or discount, I like buying it around Christmas time, with the coupon code and sale ( 1 year membership and 13750 crowns for $75. Then add your coupon code, which is 10-50% off and now the membership costs around $70 at most.

As for items in the crowns shop, it is fairly expensive as many other people are saying, but it is what it is. I don't choose to buy the mounts and gear and all that stuff for that reason.

Defender
Apr 24, 2011
It may be a lot of money, but it is worth it. If you do the math and look at what you are getting for your money, you would realize that the price is fairly cheap for what you are getting. Also Henchmen are not a necessity; its better to just have a friend to do hard quests with you and doesn't cost money.