Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP is unbalanced

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jan 18, 2013
When Wizard101 came out 5 years ago PvP was balanced and allowed a variety of different strategies and wizards to all work equally as well and nothing was overpowered. All schools had their advantages and their disadvantages but no school was truly better than any other. Now however this is no longer the case and it the reason so many players have gone back to just PvPing at level 50 (just look at the leader boards). Level 90 PvP only has one dominant strategy at a time and if you are not doing it you are losing.

First KI brought out jade gear and the community went into outrage. If you weren't using it then you weren't winning. KI realised their mistake and attempted to fix it with the new Aquila gear with mega critical, damage and pierce. They had the right idea but they overcompensated. This new gear can pound anyone into the ground, even the most defensive wizards using jade gear cannot be equal with them. So now the dominant strategy has gone from turtling to ground and pound. There is no real way to defend yourself against it other than killing them before you kill them.

Now of course KI can't just remove the jade and Aquila gear to make the game more balanced. Players have spent money and hours of time playing and crafting to get their gear. They will have to bring out some new gear again to counter the Aquila gear.

Now I don't think a more mega version of jade will be the solution. I Personally think that we need some new gear with much better critical block to counter the already monstrous critical of the Aquila gear. This gear also needs to be decent in other stats as well so that we do not need to make a trade off to get the block and cripple the rest of our stats.

That is just what I think, but what would you like to see added next to the game to make PvP more balanced like it used to be? It could be gear or even new spells.

Leave you opinions below.

Explorer
Jul 13, 2010
i didn't read all but i heard the word mega critical gear.
I HATE THAT is so unfair! i am level 70 life warlord with 48 resist and i faced level 90 storm 20 tim a day and they kill me on first round with triton or bolt they just spam attack and i don't even have time to heal. i guess it is okay if they face their own level but they spam attack me who is 20 level lower and i face them 80% of the time so this is just ..... i didn't come back to wizard101 so i can spend money to lose to unfair matches!

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Ghost stone on Oct 16, 2013 wrote:
When Wizard101 came out 5 years ago PvP was balanced and allowed a variety of different strategies and wizards to all work equally as well and nothing was overpowered. All schools had their advantages and their disadvantages but no school was truly better than any other. Now however this is no longer the case and it the reason so many players have gone back to just PvPing at level 50 (just look at the leader boards). Level 90 PvP only has one dominant strategy at a time and if you are not doing it you are losing.

First KI brought out jade gear and the community went into outrage. If you weren't using it then you weren't winning. KI realised their mistake and attempted to fix it with the new Aquila gear with mega critical, damage and pierce. They had the right idea but they overcompensated. This new gear can pound anyone into the ground, even the most defensive wizards using jade gear cannot be equal with them. So now the dominant strategy has gone from turtling to ground and pound. There is no real way to defend yourself against it other than killing them before you kill them.

Now of course KI can't just remove the jade and Aquila gear to make the game more balanced. Players have spent money and hours of time playing and crafting to get their gear. They will have to bring out some new gear again to counter the Aquila gear.

Now I don't think a more mega version of jade will be the solution. I Personally think that we need some new gear with much better critical block to counter the already monstrous critical of the Aquila gear. This gear also needs to be decent in other stats as well so that we do not need to make a trade off to get the block and cripple the rest of our stats.

That is just what I think, but what would you like to see added next to the game to make PvP more balanced like it used to be? It could be gear or even new spells.

Leave you opinions below.
I gotta agree with you Ghost stone with Aquila out critical ratings have gotten incredibly higher but block ratings stayed the same. Like you said some decent gear giving good block rating would be a great idea.

Luke Thunderflame lvl 90

Survivor
Jul 14, 2013
Or maybe they could make a critical rating reducing spell. It could be a negative charm like the weakness or mantle, which could reduce the chance by maybe 25% or 40% for the next attack spell. They could still critical, but the chance for that spell would be cut down to the point where it might always be blocked, where before it has a reasonable chance to get through.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Very nice post.

I think the main problem is the PvP Dept. has gone overboard in all directions. Plus Sharpen Blade and Potent Trap were game changers.

• Too much resist
  • Too much critical
  • Too much Pierce
  • Too much heal boost
  • "Too much of everything is just enough" - Name that band
I'm not sure how they can fix it without some nerfing of the existing mechanics. Maybe critical should only be an extra 50% damage for PvP. Maybe level 90-100 should double our existing health. Maybe there needs to be a default maximum universal resist. I don't have the answer to re-balancing PvP; I just know my personal PvPing is now strictly in the level 50s range, and my poor Promethean Balance wizard is collecting dust.

I also don't like that Pierce is now a requirement to play PvP. It should enhance PvP strategy, not become the strategy. For me, successful PvP is when there can be a wide variety of approaches to winning a match.

Sincerely,

President of the Make Reshuffle a Regular Spell Again Recall Movement

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
PvP has gone from one extreme to the other instead of finding a balance somewhere in the middle. You cannot defend yourself against this, the only realistic way to beat this is to adopt the same strategy and kill your opponent before they kill you.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
PvP Was never balanced. Pre-Cl the strongest schools were pretty much myth balance and fire.

In the Cl days it was myth and fire
Zafaria: Rise of ice, Myth
Avalon: Balance ice, myth
Azteca: Jade gear, Ice

Now, Critical is fair because everyone can build.

Lets get this established: There will always be a meta. Before matches were lasting 8+ hours and Resist was running rampant, What has happened is it has changed to a game of extreme stats.

Now, To combat the 8 hour fights they changed the meta to offensive: Pretty much every school has better representation on the leader board at 90 now, where as before it was just ice life and balance.

You state there is no way of defending against this? I have 50% resist, 300 block as a balance and i'm doing fine. Build a hit, And kill. the long process of blading is gone with my 80% damage boost.

Your sugesting buffing dfense again, when 400 block is easy to come by to block these criticals. Teeth of lords night = 150 block, Armor 30 block, Conviction 90 block, Anthem and ring 45 block, boots 55/93 block. If you were serous about block, get it on your pet like the critical wizards have on their pet. 30 block.

PvP is just a scaled copy of level 50.......... Were just still thinking Resist.... Full shield tank blade kill..........