Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stuns not useful anymore

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 13, 2013
I've noticed that lately KingsIsle has been selling stuns a little short.

Now before everyone reading this gets all in their what-about-pvp place, I'm only talking about PvE, so relax. Both and have 4 or more stunning spells: Stun, Blinding light, basilisk, medusa, and freeze, frost giant, wooly mammoth, winter moon (yes, not a trainable spell but I'm trying to make a point )

I honestly can't think of a boss past dragonspyre that is not stun immune. What? Stunning in important. Right after you attack, it stops the opponent from fighting back for a moment, giving you time to heal or shield or whatnot.

I'm not sure about other people's strategy when fighting a boss, but for me, I always use an AoE to take out the minion(s) and hurt the boss a little. Now it might take another couple hits to kill the boss, but the hits that don't kill it should stun it if the spell is wooly mammoth, for example.

When fighting mobs on the streets, I kill them in one hit with either snow angel or frost giant, so they die before they can be stunned.

At this point, I feel like the little "Stun for [1 or 2] rounds" is just there for decoration.

What I'm trying to say here in the end is please either change the stun immunity on some bosses, or don't have it in the new world.

Post what you think!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
yeah, in PvE, stun is worthless at high levels. It's not worth trying to figure out which rare monster is NOT stun immune. I don't have any stunning spells with my death, and my fire carried stun only for a few times after he learned it, then stopped when realized how totally useless in PvE it is.

I bring Stun Block with me when I fight the 4 schools monsters that can stun, and if I go first, I use stun block as my first move (whenever possible) which makes their stun useless. I keep piling on the stun blocks while Im building pips.

Fire should have spells that give Choke as an after effect and doesn't. I don't understand why either. Every other school that can stun, uses it.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
ThatHelpfulThaumat... on Oct 12, 2013 wrote:
I've noticed that lately KingsIsle has been selling stuns a little short.

Now before everyone reading this gets all in their what-about-pvp place, I'm only talking about PvE, so relax. Both and have 4 or more stunning spells: Stun, Blinding light, basilisk, medusa, and freeze, frost giant, wooly mammoth, winter moon (yes, not a trainable spell but I'm trying to make a point )

I honestly can't think of a boss past dragonspyre that is not stun immune. What? Stunning in important. Right after you attack, it stops the opponent from fighting back for a moment, giving you time to heal or shield or whatnot.

I'm not sure about other people's strategy when fighting a boss, but for me, I always use an AoE to take out the minion(s) and hurt the boss a little. Now it might take another couple hits to kill the boss, but the hits that don't kill it should stun it if the spell is wooly mammoth, for example.

When fighting mobs on the streets, I kill them in one hit with either snow angel or frost giant, so they die before they can be stunned.

At this point, I feel like the little "Stun for [1 or 2] rounds" is just there for decoration.

What I'm trying to say here in the end is please either change the stun immunity on some bosses, or don't have it in the new world.

Post what you think!
there are a few too many bosses with stun immune before ds in my opinion

Survivor
May 13, 2013
I meant to say stunning is important.

Kingsisle please change this!

Survivor
Sep 11, 2012
I think a solution to this problem would be to add a new stat called "Stun Pierce" that would allow a wizard to power through stun resistance or immunity.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2012
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Monquistans78 on Oct 13, 2013 wrote:
It should also work on Beguile.
agreed, stun and beguile, in PvE, after certain levels, just isnt worth it

Historian
May 06, 2009
Might I add some info?

Yes, all bosses from Dragonspyre to Avalon pretty much have immunity to stun resistance. However, because of the challenge increase in Azteca (and a little in Aquila), all bosses lost their Stun immunity. Don't believe me? Go to Azteca and simiply cast any stun spell you wish. They will not cast an immunity to it. This also means the next world will not feature Stun Resistance and probably will stay that way going forward. So, I'd assume your wish of no more stun immunity will be granted.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Even when bosses are immune, minions often are not, so it can still be a help. Some of the bosses in the new dungeons can be stunned. I used it on the Sand Squid and Cerberus.

Survivor
May 13, 2013
"there are a few too many bosses with stun immune before ds in my opinion"

Very true, but I didn't want people to be correcting me on how not ALL bosses are stun immune before ds.

"I think a solution to this problem would be to add a new stat called "Stun Pierce" that would allow a wizard to power through stun resistance or immunity."

Maybe, but there are already so many stats to try to balance out, I'm not sure PvEers would even bother getting stun pierce gear. To me, it's not that important, but I would still like to see bosses maybe have resistance not immunity, or something.

"It should also work on Beguile."

I don't have a death, so I don't know how important that is, but I think the reason they made creatures beguile immune was because of all the high level spells they might cast on themselves, but there is really no reason for stun to be immune. The worst a monster is going to do when they are stunned is wait it out and cast their spell again, or choose another, whereas with beguile they would damage themselves, or help you.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
I've never understood use of stun in PVE and hate that every other ice spell has stun attached to it, it's as if that has become default secondary for ice. I sincerely hope KI will get rid of it, or at least make it useful again. With every boss after DS being stun immune we don't need or want useless secondary effects for spells that are pip devourers. Beyond scant PVP strategy I can see no reason for it.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Dakota Death on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
Even when bosses are immune, minions often are not, so it can still be a help. Some of the bosses in the new dungeons can be stunned. I used it on the Sand Squid and Cerberus.
stunning a boss is barely worth the turn stunning a minion gets you killed they shouldn't have any bosses with stun immune except for like final world bosses

Explorer
Feb 22, 2011
I disagree, stuns are very useful in PvE, particularly in Aquila and Azteca. The stun all enemies spells blinding light (myth) and choke (fire) are particularly useful.

Both spells will stun and leave one stun block shield each enemy.
If you use 2 of these spells each round, your PvE enemies will be completely stunned for the entire battle (except if they go first and for just that first round). This is called chain stunning.

We have a guide that uses both or either spell to chain stun through Tartarus here:
http://wizard.mercenaries101.com/hades-the-fast-and-the-furious/
Essentially, with a full group of 4 wizards, 2 are tasked with chain stunning, 1 with buffing the hitter, and 1 hits everything. With this method, we usually get through Tartarus with a Hades/Zeus respawn in under an hour.

All of the bosses in Tartarus excluding Hades can be stunned.
Most Aztecan bosses can be stunned as well.

Good luck to you and enjoy the spells.