Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dragonspyre not for kids?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 18, 2012
Hey everyone,
I have been going through Dragonspyre and it does not seem like it is for kids. Bosses take three tries or so and I can't keep up with these hard bosses. Do you think so too?

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Hunter Stone on Sep 12, 2013 wrote:
Hey everyone,
I have been going through Dragonspyre and it does not seem like it is for kids. Bosses take three tries or so and I can't keep up with these hard bosses. Do you think so too?
No. My grandson did better than I did in Dragonspyre. Guess I have to start looking at the game "through the eyes of a child". LOL...

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Hey everyone,
Sorry, I don't agree. I've played with a bunch of kids at various times and they do just fine. You learn from experience and though you may be defeated, you press on. It's after Dragonspyre that I worry about the kids since the difficulty jumps so much.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Hey everyone,
On my first pass though the game only 2 kids on my long list did DS, only one went on to CL but quit soon after.

Even with my help they weren't really interested in going on. Some were actually afraid of the monsters there.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
But Molly! You took such good care of Mr. Fluffy while I was gone!
(I hope he behaved himself and didn't eat all the fish-paste ice cream)

I understand why the kidlets don't like Dragonspyre: it's dark and scary, the story is emotionally intense, and the monsters are quite evil-looking: dragons and spiders and undead stuff are a huge shift from the cute animal characters we saw through mooshu. Plus there's more of a focus on destruction and death (Mally and Sylvia, certain place names, and the fact that most gauntlets are tombs) than there was early on, and it lacks the humour of the earlier worlds.

Needless to say, Dragonspyre will always have a special place in Von's black little wizard heart.

-v.
"Dr. Mrs. Von"

Defender
Apr 07, 2012
Just because the bosses are hard dosent mean that it not for kids besides kids use treasure cards and get a bunch of power ups bosses are just computers and kids are masters they can outsmart Bosses Hope This Helped

Survivor
Apr 16, 2011
I was not worried about Dragonspyre, the only problem with it was that it was kinda long. This is where people call me a liar but, I am 12, and I am max level. The world I am worried about fellow "youngsters" will quit at Celestia because it is so long. I almost quit out of it, but I pulled through. Dragonspyre is evil and dark looking, yes, but you must think. You don't want the big battle with Malistaire to have ponies and pigs. This is my point of view from a kid, I am not evil I just like games and this one in particular caught my attention.

Well I hope this cleared the minds of some people, see ya in the game!

Trevor IceCaster Promethean Thaumaturge, (AKA lvl 90 )

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
Hey everyone,
Umm I did dragonsypre a long time ago when I was in middle school. Had no trouble at all, was very fun and interesting I have seen kids younger in zafaria and they do just fine. I'd say every world in the spiral is good for all ages except AZTECA Lol!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Stormgem307 on Sep 21, 2013 wrote:
Umm I did dragonsypre a long time ago when I was in middle school. Had no trouble at all, was very fun and interesting I have seen kids younger in zafaria and they do just fine. I'd say every world in the spiral is good for all ages except AZTECA Lol!
*cough* yeah, 'cept azteca... *cough*

Azteca is the most everyone-unfriendly world, regardless of your age: most of my adult friends hated it, too.

But Dragonspyre is the least kid-friendly world because it is dark and sad. But some kids like dark and sad too... When I was a baby wizard, I used to chill in graveyards and stuff, just because they were cool; therefore, Dragonspyre is right up my alley, even as an adult. I just adore the crumbly old buildings, dragons, and Malistaire.

I'm sorry, Mally... Even you couldn't make me love Azteca. But thanks for trying!

-v.

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
If the NPC's thought the same way we did this game would be impossible but sinse they do not we have an edge we can outsmart them no matter how strong they are or how much they cheat.

Survivor
May 27, 2009
Dr Von on Sep 15, 2013 wrote:
But Molly! You took such good care of Mr. Fluffy while I was gone!
(I hope he behaved himself and didn't eat all the fish-paste ice cream)

I understand why the kidlets don't like Dragonspyre: it's dark and scary, the story is emotionally intense, and the monsters are quite evil-looking: dragons and spiders and undead stuff are a huge shift from the cute animal characters we saw through mooshu. Plus there's more of a focus on destruction and death (Mally and Sylvia, certain place names, and the fact that most gauntlets are tombs) than there was early on, and it lacks the humour of the earlier worlds.

Needless to say, Dragonspyre will always have a special place in Von's black little wizard heart.

-v.
"Dr. Mrs. Von"
I love Dragonspyre, best world yet. I like it because it is so dark and scary. I used to not care about the story too much, it was a mistake. Dragonspyre has an amazing storyline, along with all the other worlds.

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
I think its kind of funny when people complain about a world being "not kid-friendly". Of course KI thinks of this when they are designing the worlds!

Anyways, the world is hard and long, but the atmosphere itself is not too dark or scary. I mean, once you get past the Necropolis. I don't think kids love the world, but they can suffer through it.

And.. Hunter ... two or three tries? Have you even tried Azteca.

Haley MoonHeart, Archmage Thaumagture

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
i agree i cant even do dragonspyre without a level 50+ by my side

Survivor
Jul 28, 2012
Dragonspyer is awesome and for anyone the right level.

Andrew WaterCrafter- Level 48

Sean FireFlame- Level 5

Survivor
Jul 04, 2012
I'm a kid, and I did just fine in DS. If it was hard for you, them maybe you should level up by doing side quests. Also, friends can help with hard bosses. Hope I helped.

Dylan Frostgem-lvl 59

Survivor
Jan 21, 2012
Its actually pretty simple just gotta keep on trying and stick to the quests and dont goof off .....
Grandmaster Ice

Explorer
Oct 26, 2012
It is for kids kinda not. Depending on your way of like and how you like things. If your a kid who loves gloomy dark things and has a emo or goth clothing style. If your a kid who likes yellow and pink things and loves wearing bright colors ( and likes justice lol I hate it love black and goth I am a girl weird rite?) If you are da first type then DS is not for you if your the second typer then you will hate DS. I loved DS so fun. And worlds are supposed to get longer and harder. I personally as a few years younger then 13 hated other worlds because of the looks clothing items enimies NPC's and other stuff. And this is something weird that I though as I was in the teleporter to malistiares dungeon. Malistaire is awesome I personally this is crazy but liked him more then merle ambrose.
OKAY that's enough of my thoughts going onto the wizard101 message boards.
Death will always come, you cant stop it no matter what happens to you or anyone else but while you are living live life to the fullest!

Survivor
Jul 02, 2009
hi everyone,
if you want to get through dragonspyre you need a team of at least three or four people. The bosses are REALLY tough, but eventually at the end of dragonspyre you'll start to get stronger. (i think they make the bosses hard to prepare you for malistare, he has 10,000 health)

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Lilalei12345 on Jan 10, 2014 wrote:
It is for kids kinda not. Depending on your way of like and how you like things. If your a kid who loves gloomy dark things and has a emo or goth clothing style. If your a kid who likes yellow and pink things and loves wearing bright colors ( and likes justice lol I hate it love black and goth I am a girl weird rite?) If you are da first type then DS is not for you if your the second typer then you will hate DS. I loved DS so fun. And worlds are supposed to get longer and harder. I personally as a few years younger then 13 hated other worlds because of the looks clothing items enimies NPC's and other stuff. And this is something weird that I though as I was in the teleporter to malistiares dungeon. Malistaire is awesome I personally this is crazy but liked him more then merle ambrose.
OKAY that's enough of my thoughts going onto the wizard101 message boards.
Death will always come, you cant stop it no matter what happens to you or anyone else but while you are living live life to the fullest!
I don't think that Dragonspyre is just for emo kids.

Speaking as a younger player, I find that I enjoyed Dragonspyre for its darker storyline. I'm not much of an optimist and seeing that every once in a while there can be a bad ending made the game more realistic for me and made me enjoy it more.

I guess that what I see is coming through an aspiring writer's eyes, but I found that this storyline suited me more than almost every other world out there. It gave me a good dose of adventure (Which I can't find very often now, what with most young adults books I see being focused on a love triangle and not the actual problem. Justified if it's a love story, but I prefer books with action in them to put the love story in a small subplot.) which is what I really liked. It was such a sense of adventure in fact, I think it left a void in my heart after I completed it. I recall being somewhat sad that it was over.

Anyways, I also know that my younger sibling soured through Dragonspyre with no problems and he even got through most of Celestial before turning to me or his friends for help.

One last point that the artist inside of me wants to make. Dragonspyre. Looked. Awesome. All the crumbling buildings fit in well with the lava and dark sky. Great... Now I want to see how well I can draw Dragonspyre. (Remind me never to go rambling on about art.)

Overall, I think KI did a good job with DS. It wasn't too hard (just get some treasure cards and summon a minion) and it was the perfect ending to a story that I had eagerly followed.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
I often needed help from people five levels above me, because I didn't do enough side quests. In Krokotopia I went through it really slowly, and in the end I was around 10 levels lower than I should have been.
Again, when I did Marleybone, I didn't get enough experience, so I was still a rather low level.
When I got to Mooshu (personaly this is my favourite world. I love cows and it was so green!), I leveled up really quickly because I got 1000 experience or something crazy for talking to one person! I got through very quickly and didn't need much help.
I got to Dragonspyre and it wasn't as fun feeling as all the other worlds, although I LOVED all the theme music (it was so inSPYREing ). There were lots of bosses and I loved to fight every one of them. I might die once, but straight after I would win. Challenges are great, as long as they aren't too hard, or make me rage! I think Dragonspyre is great, and I am looking forward to continuing!

Lauren Iceshard lvl 46

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
for me the only hard part was trying to solo malstare and the Osseus Nightreaver partof the lvl 58 death spell quest

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
I have to say it wasn't that bad but some of the bosses were expecting

- Christopher Life Heart

Survivor
Jan 17, 2011
Hey everyone,
if you get the right spells that are high enough you may win. also if you practice on other bosses and prepare that helps too.

Dragonspyre , it took a while but it was so wroth it.

i think it is for kids because my son got through it and he is only 9!

hope i helped.

Jennifer golden flame level 80

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
I'm an adult player, and there are some kids that struggle, sure.

But honestly from what I've seen, the kids outplay and out strategize the adults.

Most of the kids that succeed in this game do well through trial and error and not only that but today's children learn VERY FAST, especially when it comes to technology and games.

I've always thought there were some really smart kids that play this game.

I don't think people realize how adaptive and intelligent kids are these days.

There are A LOT of kids playing that are vastly smarter than the average adult player.

Also, I believe the addition with pets gaining the ability to heal, was to help combat one staying alive in a fight by themselves.

I could see how some young children struggle in Celestia and later, but I'm not so sure. Most of the kids I see playing on the game are doing just fine.