Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My son and I are new need help

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 16, 2013
Hi all
My son and I are playing game together, he is fire and I am balance , but seems his cards during battle do not show up? All grey but mine are not ? Also seems when I level up I get more cards than he dose , we are only level 10's... Also when you buy clothes hats what dose it mean school only can you only use while at school or something?? Is there a better player guide somewhere ,other than what they have here ? Thanks for any help .

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
garceghostrider on Jul 21, 2013 wrote:
Hi all
My son and I are playing game together, he is fire and I am balance , but seems his cards during battle do not show up? All grey but mine are not ? Also seems when I level up I get more cards than he dose , we are only level 10's... Also when you buy clothes hats what dose it mean school only can you only use while at school or something?? Is there a better player guide somewhere ,other than what they have here ? Thanks for any help .
Hello, and welcome to Wizard101! He might have run out of mana/not enough pips to cast spell so he has to pass/use zero pip spells until pips build up. School only clothes mean, well lets take a example. There is a robe that says: "Fire only" meaning only fire can use it. As for guides, check Wizard101 Central. They have guides that might help you.
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?140-General-Balance-Gameplay-Guides
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?135-General-Fire-Gameplay-Guides
Links for general gameplay for fire/balance. Have fun in Wizard101.

Defender
Sep 09, 2012
oh this is an easy question.You see there are things called pips and they help you with spells. free example when you have 0 pips which is mostly your mana, you can only cast your single one Wand spell. You have to wait for your pips to build up pips to cast a spell. Ex: fire cat is one pip fire elf is two and fire serpent is ten!
Glad I helped,
Emma Emeraldsword lvl 49

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
I will help you

First off in battle - when a card shows up in grey it means you don't have enough pips to cast it. A pip a little magical dot where you stand in battle. You get one every round. For example: I need four pips to cast sandstorm. When I have four magical dots (white colored) I can cast. Power pips are something else. They are worth 2 regular pips but only count as double for your school, but don't worry about power pips now.

Cloths question: School clolths means only the wizard of that school can wear the item. For example: If you are balance you could wear a balance only item. But you could not wear a fire only item, while your son could.

Hope this helps.

From Your fellow balance sorcceress, Angela Dragonstone level86

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
Hi there.

First of Fire and Balance have different spell cards Balance has more of 1 pip cost to cast spell ( pips are white dots around your character on ground ) each spell has its own number of pips ( which is set on spell card in corner ) when cards are grey they dont have enough pips to be casted thats why your Balance spells show faster to use. Leveling character does get Balance wizard more spells then Fire wizard they have different study. Each school has its own gear you wear balance and he fire it mostly says: " school only" " school only " if its red color and your school name is on it means you are not that level yet same goes for Fire. Dont know which Player guide you read but i hope this helps you little: https://www.wizard101.com/w101playersguide/spell-cards2.

Welcome to wonders of spiral wish you best fun ever hehehe.

Michael BlueBright, Myth Conjurer, Level 90, Technomancer
" Let the force be with you all "

Survivor
Jul 23, 2012
Hi all
They are grey because he does not have enough pips to cast that spell. You may have enough pips and thus your card it's fully colored. Every round you get another pip. Just wait a bit and you will be able to cast it. The card should also say how many pips it takes.

When you level up more you get new spells. Once your child levels to a certin point, he can train for his new spell in his school.

School only clothes items means you can only use that item if you are that school. If you won got a fire school only item, he would be able to use it but you could not. You can also get balance only items.

Try watching some tutorials on YouTube. When you get to a certin level, you will get a lesson on dueling from a guy names Dueling Diego.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2010
Hi! I have played for a while and i think i can help. I don't know why one of you would get less cards, but if you need more you can occasionally get cards from other schools using points you get reaching certain levels.

Cards will be grey if you don't have enough pips, which you get every round. Also school only things means that you can only use it if you play as the school it is specific for, checking the usable box in places like the bazaar means it will only show things you can use.

If your having troubles in battles I suggest visiting a unicorn named Diego you can see when you enter unicorn way, he is near the entrance and should have a quest for you, if not talk to headmaster Ambrose because he might give you the quest to talk to Diego. I hope you find my advice helpful!
Iridian

Survivor
Feb 22, 2012
Hi all
I'm sorry but i can't help you there. There is another website that might help you. It is www.wizardcentral.com i think.
Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck though.

Destiny ShadowGlade level 43

Cortney ShadowGlade level 13

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Hi all
Ok. This may be confusing.
The reason the cards are grey is because of PIPS. Pips stand for power point. You get pips by-
A. Passing
B. using 0 rank spells
You can tell the rank by looking at the top left hand corner of the card. It will say 0-10.
School clothing-
If you look right on the left it of it, it will have the following symbol-
,,,,,, or .
Since you are balance, you have to wear one that says school only. Your son's will have to say school only.
-Molly
Legendary balance
Also, Balance rocks! And- (guide)
https://www.wizard101.com/w101playersguide

Survivor
Mar 09, 2013
Ok so here are the answers:

You need mana and sometimes need to wait for pips which are the white or yellow things around you in your battle circle it will say the number of pips in the triangle at the top left of
your card.the yellow and white circles I am talking about are pips white ones count as one and yellow count as two pips so if you have one power pip that means you can cast a rank 2 spell like lightning bats and mana is what that tree in the low voice says as a tip the blue wisps are mana.

I am sincerely sry but I have not played a balance wizard so I don't know why you have more cards.

When it means (insert school here) only it means it is only for that persons primary school only for example: if your son has fire school only gear/clothes and you have balance only he can't have your clothes and you can't have his unless it is global which is if you lf you look at the sign of school gear in the bazaar it will also have a blue thing with a swirl in it but those are not as good of gear as your schools gear.

And no there is no better player guide. If you need something always go to wizard101 central or these message boards but better to be here cause this is the original place of the game but if you cannot find your answer here try wizard101 central.

Hope this helped!

Hunter stormstaff lvl 63

Hunter dragonstrider lvl 19

In which there is a storm there is a hero.

Lol

Survivor
Jul 16, 2013
Thank You for all your help,
I found out about the pips and how it works with all of your help...One more question my son asked how he can open worlds , we are members as well, I told him that he must complete quest first ,I hope I was right on this, is there place for list of quest and what worlds it will open and how to find that quest?

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
garceghostrider on Jul 22, 2013 wrote:
I found out about the pips and how it works with all of your help...One more question my son asked how he can open worlds , we are members as well, I told him that he must complete quest first ,I hope I was right on this, is there place for list of quest and what worlds it will open and how to find that quest?
The fansites have a lot of information on quests. Here is a link to one of them. This link shows "quest trees" for each world (except Avalon and Azteca -- still working on them):

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:Quest_Lines

Also on that same fansite, they have a Forum that has many guides for each world too:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?80-Wizard101-related-guides-tips-and-walkthroughs

There are other fansites out there, but I like wizard101central.com.

Hope this helped.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Each world has a MAIN story line of quests. Those have to be completed before being able to open the next world. I would also suggest not passing up very many Side quests (these are not tied to the main quests). Some worlds later in the game require your wizard to be a certain level before being able to enter. For example, when you complete Dragonspyre, if your wizard is only a level 47, you will not be able to get into Celestia until at least level 48. The side quests that are available in all worlds enable you to be a higher level and will be an asset to the your wizards in the higher worlds of the Spiral.

wizard101central.com is the best guide site for Wizard101. Many members there will be more than glad to help find what you need or answer questions for you. A very large number of members that post here are also on that site as well.

I hope you and your son enjoy your travels through the Spiral.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
To unlock a world, well here is a example. To unlock the second world, Krokotopia, you must do Triton Avenue, Firecat Alley, and Cyclops Lane, Colossus Boulevard is optional. Wysteria, Grizzleheim/Wintertusk are side worlds you will find out about. To unlock worlds, do the main storyline quests. Wizard101 Central has more guides if you need more help.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
No prob!
You were correct.

Delver
Dec 18, 2009
Hi all
Okay, we'll go in order

If a card is grey in battle, it means that you don't have enough pips or mana to cast the spell. If you try to use a fire elf, for example, you have to have two pips (the white things around your player) and two mana (your blue jar). If the card is grey, you don't have one of these, usually it is that you don't have enough pips.

Balance gets a lot more cards than the other schools in general, because they are a part of all of the schools. Nothing wrong with getting too little or too many cards.

When it says a school and then gives a symbol for the school, that means people who are only that school can use it. For example, if you get a school only hat, you can wear it but your son cannot.

As far as I know, there is a player guide in the game. Go to your book and click the question mark. They have info about fighting, which houses you can go into and other information.

Hope I could be of assistance

Delver
Dec 18, 2009
Ok,

Members can get a quest to go to Krokotopia after the finish all of Cyclops Lane, Triton Alley, and Firecat Alley (sorry if I got the names wrong). After that, you get two quests from Ambrose, one lets you into Colossus Boulevard(optional street in Wizard City) and the other lets you into Krokotopia. Here are the list of worlds that I know of and the abbreviations. Hope this helped.

Wizard City (start out) WC
Krokotopia(after WC)
Grizzleheim(lvl 20) GH
Marleybone(after krokotopia)
Mooshu(after marleybone)
Dragonspyre(after mooshu) DS
Celestia(after Dragonspyre and must be lvl 50)
Zafaria(after Celestia)
Avalon(after Zafaria)
Azteca(after Avalon)

Diana Swiftfountain lvl 84,

Explorer
Dec 20, 2012
Yes, you are right, you have to complete quests to unlock your first world other than wizard city, krokotopia. To get to this world, you have to be over level ten, beaten Lord Nightshade and Foulgaze, and have the badge "Wizard City Protector." To get the world Grizzleheim, you have to have traveled there with Baldur GoldPaws, and be twentieth level, hope this helps :D

Alyssa IceBlade
Corporal of

Sierra Mist
Queen of Pop :D

Defender
Sep 09, 2012
In order to go to the next world you need to complete a whole bunch of quests.This includes quest in the Unicorn way and a whole bunch of others. eventually Merle Ambrose will give you a key to the next world.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
As above posters have said, the pups and mana are important in battle, as they are needed for casting spells. You've also heard about class only gear and more guides. As for his spells, make sure that he has talked to his class teacher, done their level 7 spell quest, and uses training points on other schools. Ambrose also has a level 2 spell quest.